Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Basic question - Is semi-conductor industry == IT industry ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Basic question - Is semi-conductor industry == IT industry ? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 07:34
I have this very basic question - Is the semi-conductor industry- chip designing industry (Texas Instruments, Intel, AMD etc.) equated to the IT industry, by Ad-Coms, or do they really acknowledge it as a very different industry altogether ??

I am an Indian, Male and hoping that through answers to this question, I might be able to differentiate myself :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 9

Re: Basic question - Is semi-conductor industry == IT industry ? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 07:27
Dada,

Short answer: It's not the same.

Technology is a broad field and IT is just a subset of it. There are many other variations to what folks do within the broader domain.

Admission officers are aware of these differences. But don't rely only on the industry to differentiate yourself.

The industry / role / country combo only sets the context that you operate in. What you do in that context is far more important.

Focus on what makes you special in that industry.

What have you done that's praise-worthy? What do you plan to do after your MBA that helps you take your career to the next level?

Good luck!

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Ready for a little reality check? --> Beyond The MBA Hype (International Edition)
GMAT Club offering this best-selling book for FREE to Moderators

Director
Director
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 162

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Basic question - Is semi-conductor industry == IT industry ? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 08:24
Its not the same but unless you work for a Big Brand doing some quality work, it would be considered similar. The reason being B Schools qualify work experience of incoming batch as : tech, finance, consulting, marketing,non profit/education, operations/industry. Your work -ex is likely to fall under tech.

Spring has passed, summer is gone and winter is here. And the song that I meant to sing remains unsung.
For I have spent my days stringing and un-stringing my instrument.

e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1064

Kudos [?]: 2541 [0], given: 164

GMAT Tests User
Re: Basic question - Is semi-conductor industry == IT industry ? [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 09:13
Expert's post
Quote:
The industry / role / country combo only sets the context that you operate in. What you do in that context is far more important.

What have you done that's praise-worthy? What do you plan to do after your MBA that helps you take your career to the next level?

100% agree with with Sameer there. As someone who was in this industry, and (still) received multiple full fellowships and got admitted to top 10 schools, I can vouch for the same. Moreover, I have seen 100s of (egmat) students who have been from traditional Tech backgrounds and have gotten into top schools. Recently, one of our students got into HBS with a 710. Why - she was a top performer and did some impressive things at work.

Bottom line - what have you done in your career and how can you sell it matters.

-Rajat

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Intern
Intern

Re: Basic question - Is semi-conductor industry == IT industry ? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 00:03
MBACrystalBall wrote:
Dada,

Short answer: It's not the same.

Technology is a broad field and IT is just a subset of it. There are many other variations to what folks do within the broader domain.

Admission officers are aware of these differences. But don't rely only on the industry to differentiate yourself.

Good luck!

Sameer Da,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with your views.
I guess I need to focus on some aspects that highlight both my managing capabilities and others that focus on my technical capabilities like published papers and patents filed.

I have ~10 years of experience and am presently working for Texas Instruments and have worked briefly for AMD in the past.

How specifically do I need to know my post MBA goals?
"That post in that one company" kind of level or "I want to leverage my technical knowledge in the management job that I am do post MBA"
Intern
Intern

Re: Basic question - Is semi-conductor industry == IT industry ? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 00:24
egmat wrote:

Bottom line - what have you done in your career and how can you sell it matters.

-Rajat

Thanks for your reply Rajat!!

I could not agree more ..

Now, Its all about nicely packaging and selling my profile as a whole that could matter ..

VLSI in general is a very specific industry and I am working in the digital domain(STD cell libraries) of the same and its an even smaller group and I can say with some confidence(without being arrogant) that there are very few people with as much experience/expertise in this domain.
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Basic question - Is semi-conductor industry == IT industry ? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 06:14
Expert's post
Well I think that the final answer is: what strengthens your candidacy?
And that is what you use.

In most cases I advise clients who work in high Tech to write their SPECIFIC industry, be it Software Development, Semi-Conductors, Hardware, etc. etc. Because in general it makes you sound more unique and also allows you to evaluate yourself in comparison to others better.

So basically... what everyone else said is good...
:)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Basic question - Is semi-conductor industry == IT industry ?   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2013, 06:14