Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

basic verbal prep Q

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

basic verbal prep Q [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2005, 14:49
Hi All,
I have been taking princeton review classes for the last one month or so. My mother tongue is not english but I speak very good english. The problem I am having is- the grammar i learned 17 or 18 years ago is long forgotten. When I get answers right, it is mainly because "it doesn't sound right" rather than because I actually understood why it was correct grammatically. I do want to score high and break a 700. So, I am wondering if it would be worth taking a break from doing verbal drills and spending some time brushing up on my grammar skills. What do you think?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2005, 15:37
I never learned English formally because it is my mother tongue, and 99.9% of the time I can't state the grammar rule at all; I can just tell if it "sounds" right. This is complicating my studying a bit, because the method isn't foolproof. But on the whole, I think you'll be much better off on test date if you have the ability to tell if it "sounds" right or wrong than if you were just memorizing a bunch of rules of grammar. I know from studying languages other than English that formal grammar rules only take you so far.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2005, 15:40
knowing the basic grammar rule tested on the GMAT is a MUST. know the most basic rules - S/V agreement, Comparing Like Things, Basic Tenses and their usage, Pronouns - this is a big one, Parallelism , Idioms etc. review the GMAT Verbal workbook by Kaplan 2005 it is very helpful. and you can also get a book from the library on basic grammar. i have 2 and they are very helpful. good luck with the prep.

kyzr
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2005, 18:21
If you can tell "why is something happening" then it will definitely help. As mentioned that the other approach is not full proof, I think some basic understanding of grammar is very helpful.
  [#permalink] 05 Sep 2005, 18:21