Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Battle of the recommenders: current boss/alumni vs prev mgr

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.33
WE: General Management (Education)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User
Battle of the recommenders: current boss/alumni vs prev mgr [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2014, 13:18
I have a simple question about who is best to ask for a recommendation. I am applying to a top 5 school and actually feel stifled by the 2 recommender limit. I have already selected 1 of my 2 recommenders, so the second one is where I'm struggling.

Please help me choose between the two:
1. Current boss. He is not my direct manager but I work in a start-up environment so we have worked on several things together, have weekly team meetings, etc. He has a super strong background: ivy-league education, MBB, and is an alumni of the school. Also, the Head of admissions seems to know him by name (I gather that from their very friendly interaction at an info session). I have only worked with him for the last 4-5 months. Also not too sure if he would be "raving" about me. He also seems super busy, so I'm not sure how that would impact the quality of the recommendation.

2. Previous manager. Worked very closely together and formed a good relationship with him. He doesn't have as much of a spectacular background, but still pretty good. We worked together for the greater part of last year. I am quite positive that he knows me well and would "rave" about me. I don't get to see him every day though, so without that constant reminder, this may allow him to put off writing it to the last minute, and I'd like to avoid a rush job if at all possible.

I feel I have a better relationship with my previous manager and might get more of a raving review than my current boss. However, I don't want to discount my current boss's background, and especially his relationship to the Head of admissions. What would you do? What other things would you consider?
1 KUDOS received
Fuqua Thread Master
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Battle of the recommenders: current boss/alumni vs prev mgr [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2014, 17:48
This post received
KUDOS
I would definitely have the previous manager write the rec for you. Raving and concrete examples will prove for better recommendation material.

But you're right: you don't want to discount the connections and pedigree of your current boss. Most schools have a portal of some sort where former students can submit letters of support for current applicants. Your current boss could submit a short letter along those lines. If such a portal or mechanism does not exist for your school, then, because your current boss has such strong bonhomie with adcom, you might ask him to submit this letter of support directly to the adcom. Letters of rec are more involved affairs; because your current boss has some great things to say about you, but maybe not in enough quantity to be rec-worthy, I think the letter of support is the right amount of touch. It can be along the lines of, "I have worked with Applicant X over the past few months. He has done X brilliant, helped the company in X ways, and is looking to do X. Details, details, details about X. As a former student I know the potential and aptitude required of applicants. I really like this kid and look forward to working with him over the next several months. I think he would crush it at this school and is a perfect fit."
Battle of the recommenders: current boss/alumni vs prev mgr   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2014, 17:48