Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

What should ryguy do?

You may select 1 option
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Battle Royale- definitely not, but still your help is needed [#permalink]
If you decide to reapply I suggest retaking the GMAT...break 720 and I think you would be surprised how much benefit that will have for you.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Ryguy,

I have been following your story and I feel for you. I'm also a SoCal guy interested in Finance.

Here's my thoughts:

If you want to go work for a brand name firm after graduation (PIMCO, Fidelity, Bulge Bracket Bank, etc.), then you need to forget about USC and re-apply. That 40% figure that USC quotes for accounting/finance is probably primarily financial planning and analysis/Big 4 accounting/back office type roles. I would venture to guess that less than 10% of USC's class gets a front office finance job upon graduation.

If you are open to working for smaller IM firms, then I think that you would be able to find a job at one of those right now with your CFA. I see no reason to go to USC for this either.

I understand your insecurity about your job - but I strongly feel that you should try not to think about it and re-apply. USC will not expand your horizons very much or offer you very many opportunities for recruitment that you do not currently have with your CFA charter.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
If you decide to reapply I suggest retaking the GMAT...break 720 and I think you would be surprised how much benefit that will have for you.

Agreed - if you do this and re-app at Columbia ED, I think you'll have a great shot at it.

If you decide to scrap USC, I would take a lot of schools off your list. Namely:

Columbia (reapp) – Early Decision
Darden
Duke
Michigan
NYU (reapp)
UNC - Take off
Tepper - Take off
Emory - Take off
Georgetown - Take off
Yale (maybe - would need to talk to Lanter about this)
Chicago (reapp – maybe - would need to talk to Helg + Rhyme and others about this)

Finance recruiting drops off significantly at every tier, and I feel that it is not very meaningful below the Elite tier.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Reading your results list made me wonder what your background looked like, but a 3.8 GPA, 680 GMAT and CFA Level whatever is, at a minimum, "par" for the course at any of these top schools you mention. Certainly the sub 700 GMAT may have played a role, and I frankly wouldn't be surprised if it did you in at one or two on your list (I helped one guy last year with a 640 or something - he was waitlisted at Cornell and they told him to retake the GMAT, or if he wanted to go to the 1 year program, they'd admit him immediately. He was on this site. Some of you may remember him. Great guy).... but I wonder if maybe there wasn't something else missing? On the face of it, you are certainly within range at any of these top programs. I scratch my head and wonder what went wrong.

As far as a decision, for me personally, it simply comes down to one thing: Will you end up wondering "what if"?

If not, then go to USC knowing you'll have to network like nuts and just go in there and do it.
If yes, then consider postponing a year. I know you mentioned the risk of being laid off, and thats something you have to consider certainly, but I would not be so worried about it (at least not from an app point of view). If it happens you can always talk to it or spin it many different ways. You can for instance, take the time to study for another CFA level (assuming you aren't done). Thats a positive experience you could write about. You could take a couple grand, go to china or something for a month, enroll in an intensive language course and just spin it as a learning experience for your post-MBA plans (which, lets say for the sake of argument, might include financial services in asia or something). For what its worth, I was only at my last job 6 months before I applied, and I just had to explain that and deal with it. You could simply just go volunteer to do something interesting - I met a guy last year who ran off to panama for like 3 months building low income homes (would play well with your background too). I could set you up with the Cofradia school in Honduras, you just teach English and hang out for 6 months, giving back to the community and all that. You could take the time to even maybe just get in shape, train for a triathlon or something - one guy I know wrote an essay for Kellogg about how he lost weight and how that was the hardest thing he'd ever done (he was admitted).

Another possibility could be to consider a last minute (for instance, ASAP, right now) application to a part time program at either Kellogg or Chicago where the odds of admission are better and adcoms are little less picky (particularly with respect to GMAT). At Chicago at least, its entirely possible to graduate in 2 years, and although you can't recruit for internships on campus, that doesn't stop people from getting them in IB. I have a friend (also a gmattclubber actually and some of you guys may remember him too. He had applied FT to Chicago but his father fell seriously ill and changed his app to PT and was then admitted. As it turns out, we met for the first time a few months ago. One of the nicest guys I've ever met) who is in IB this summer as well - landed the gig on his own.

Anyway I digress. Again, for me, its just that one question. Do what your heart tells you.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
ryguy904,

I'm going to go with reapply for various reasons:

1) USC, albeit a great institution, is not nearly as good a program as the others you have listed. Only a top bschool program will make it easier for you to get into top IB.

2) You're 26. I know, adcoms are looking at younger applicants, but 26 is still young.

3) Having gone through the process, your apps this time around will be stronger.

4) You will retake the gmat and get a 700+. Normally, a 680 wouldn't be that big of a deal, but as economy goes down, the gmat must go up. Bust your butt for 6-8 weeks and crush the gmat.

5) If you go to USC, you need to do more legwork. And if you're heart's really not in it, esp w/the disappointment of being AT USC, you're already doomed.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
If that's the case, then you have a tough decision to make. Just looking at your profile, it seems you will have a good chance at at least the elite schools. However, in admissions, it is just not about how good you are. Its all relative to the applicant pool. In a normal year, I would have suggested re-applying. But going by whats happening on the market and the resulting lay-offs(guess where some of the qualified folks from your company who were laid off will try to hide), I am scared to make that suggestion.

I say re-take GMAT and see if you get a significant jump on that score. That may make the decision for you.

ryguy904 wrote:
ncprasad wrote:
Can you defer your admission at USC? If yes, I would re-apply next year in R1 and then go back to USC if nothing pans out. This will probably give you enough time to wait out the Anderson decision.

Good luck to you and that pimp avi on the Anderson decision.

According to their website, they will not defer for any reason.
https://www.marshall.usc.edu/mbaadmissio ... _admission
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
many good suggestions, and I agree with others that your profile is very competitive at all the schools you've applied to.

I can only see a few main reasons for you not getting into those schools (my guesses):

- GMAT: You kind of *need* a 700+ score these days to not disqualify yourself, especially since most of the top 10 schools are very careful with how their avg GMAT scores affect their rankings. Like NC said, retake the GMAT and let that make the decision for you.

- Essays: Since i haven't read your essays, maybe your story wasn't convincing enough? I'm going out on a limb with this one.

- Competition in the Finance Industry: The credit crisis was already happening late last year, so you could be competing with a lot of people from the financial sector who wants to go into IB or finance later on and use the MBA to wait out the storm. Because of this reason, next year will only get harder, not easier, for someone with a background like yours.

If you do decide to re-apply, then I would strongly recommend you strengthen the above 3 things. Re-take the GMAT and get over 700, Have some current students read over your essays to give you feedback, and maybe do something different in the next 6 months just to diversify your background (I like rhyme's story about building houses in Central America or doing intensive language training in China).

Finally, have you spoken with some USC students/alums regarding this? Pick a couple whom you trust and just be honest with them. They would have a slightly better insight to how well the USC network has helped them (especially the ones who want to get into IB). Otherwise, we're ALL speculating here regarding USC's ability to place people in the IB companies you want. :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
riverripper wrote:

I was just thinking the exact same thing. Yeah, you can overcome a 680 if everything else is strong, but just remember that it is below average for the schools you are targeting. Why not try to improve an area that is clearly not a strength if you are really interested in schools at this level?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
You know what? When I was admitted in Ross this year, I felt sorry for not applying in Ross last year, when I was waitlisted/dinged in all my other schools (3 UE + Tuck). I would already be in the mid of my first year, thought I. But then, when my re-application in Chicago worked out, I immediately felt, what I have been waiting for this one extra year. All regrets for time "lost" gone immediately!
Bottom line: if you feel like you can do better - re-apply. Hey, man, you are just 26! I am 30 :) Look at your application package, see if you may improve any part of it dramatically. For me, the essays were the key to successful reapplication.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
I was just thinking the exact same thing. Yeah, you can overcome a 680 if everything else is strong, but just remember that it is below average for the schools you are targeting. Why not try to improve an area that is clearly not a strength if you are really interested in schools at this level?

At this point, the GMAT is the easiest (and possibly the only) component of your application that you can improve. I wouldn't let it dictate whether you reapply (I believe djhouse got into CBS w/690), but I'm certain with diligent work, you will break 700.

helg wrote:
You know what? When I was admitted in Ross this year, I felt sorry for not applying in Ross last year, when I was waitlisted/dinged in all my other schools (3 UE + Tuck). I would already be in the mid of my first year, thought I. But then, when my re-application in Chicago worked out, I immediately felt, what I have been waiting for this one extra year. All regrets for time "lost" gone immediately!
Bottom line: if you feel like you can do better - re-apply. Hey, man, you are just 26! I am 30 :) Look at your application package, see if you may improve any part of it dramatically. For me, the essays were the key to successful reapplication.

Amen helg!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
ryguy,

I would reapply next year. It's obvious to me that you don't really want to go to USC, and that if you did not have the threat of losing your job over your head, you wouldn't even think twice about waiting another year.

I echo what everyone else says -- retake the GMAT and you should have a much better shot when you reapply.

We have similar stats and finance background but you are a year older and have finished the charter, which I would think should make you a stronger candidate. I didn't get in anywhere this year either (H / S / W / Chi / Col), but I did get interviews everywhere but H and was waitlisted at S and Chi. I think a major reason that I got interviews is that my essays were *solid* (I have a liberal arts background with heavy writing experience). I have read a fair number of other people's essays and I would say that they are generally okay but not great. I can't comment on yours specifically ryguy since I haven't read them, but if you are serious about reapplying, send me a PM and we will connect up to hammer out some very high quality essays if you are interested. (I'm not trying to imply that your essays weren't high quality, but rather that there is almost always room to improve essays.)
GMAT Club Bot