Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Battled the GMAT for two whole years! - 720 Q49V40

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [5] , given: 2

Battled the GMAT for two whole years! - 720 Q49V40 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 22:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Folks,

Mine is a story of frustration, heartbreak, depression and eventually success. After studying for this exam for almost 2 years and after multiple attempts, I finally managed a 720. I just thought it would be appropriate if I could share my thoughts on this forum and motivate the many others who endeavor to undertake and crack the GMAT.

In my first attempt I got a 680 and in two attempts thereafter I didnt cross that score. This was highly demotivating because I bucked the usual trend where most often than not the second attempt is better than the first. I decided to go ahead and apply to universities and not surprisingly received rejections from every one of them. Being an Indian, I am automatically competing with a highly talented and smart pool of individuals and a 680 is certainly a below average score.

I then set out for the fourth time to beat the GMAT. I enrolled myself into classroom courses and purchased almost all available online tests. As I look back on the months of preparation, I have a few bullet points i'd like to share. Hopefully this will change the way a lot of people view the GMAT.

1) If you have a 680, you already know what you have to know to get a 750 - Unfortunately I was told this very very late in my preparation, but in reality the difference between a 750 and a 680 is not very much. Don't get me wrong, you still need a higher accuracy for a 750, but you must not let this get to you mentally. All you need for that 70 point bump up, is to get yourself acquainted with the nuances of the exam and keep a calm set of nerves in those 3.5 hours.

2) Practice Tests are the key - I was hitting 85%-90% accuracy when i would practice questions at home, but that would drop to 70% during practice tests. This is natural because you are giving the test over a 3.5 hour duration and your mind tends to fatigue and therefore efficiency drops. The key is to accustom yourself to sitting in one place and think for 3.5 hours so you maximize your productivity and minimize your errors.

3) Discipline- Make sure you simulate the exact GMAT environment while taking tests. Ensure you are in a cool air-conditioned environment, with minimal disturbance and strictly adhere to the timing breaks and make sure you give the ENTIRE exam at one stretch, that includes the 30 minute sections of AWA and IR.

4) Above all, DO NOT pressurize yourself unnecessarily, DO NOT berate yourself for simple things and keep a calm and balanced mind during the exam, you should do just fine.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Cheers
Vinayak
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Battled the GMAT for two whole years! - 720 Q49V40 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 11:55
Hi,

Congrats on this achievement.

Please let us know whether the questions in og13 and gmatprep were similar to real GMAT in terms of difficulty.

Regards,
Paresh
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Battled the GMAT for two whole years! - 720 Q49V40 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 18:00
pareshcs wrote:
Hi,

Congrats on this achievement.

Please let us know whether the questions in og13 and gmatprep were similar to real GMAT in terms of difficulty.

Regards,
Paresh

Yes,

The OG is the best guide and can be safely called the bible. Although you may need to purchase other material (Manhattan is the best iin my view) to gain more practice

Cheers
Vinayak
Re: Battled the GMAT for two whole years! - 720 Q49V40   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2014, 18:00