Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 01:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 22:51
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 276

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Baumgartner's comparison [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 15:52
crick20002002 wrote:
Lets dissect the argument.

Statement I: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of gasoline-powered cars VS electric cars is misleading.

Statement II : He examines only production of the cars, whereas it is the product's total life cycle that matters.

Statement III (example for Statement II) - A typical gasoline-powered car consumes 3 times more resources and produces 15 to 20 times more air pollution than a typical electric car.

A Simple Therefore test ( Premise , therefore conclusion) or Why Test (Why Conclusion ? Ans = Premise) will help you pick the correct premise and conclusion.

Lets apply it to the problem.

1) Statement I is premise, Statement II is conclusion.

Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards is misleading. Therefore, He examines only production of the cars,whereas it is the product's total life cycle that matters. --Does not make any sense. Our selection of Premise - Conclusion is not correct.

2) Statement II is premise, Statement I is conclusion.

Baumgartner examines only production of the cars, whereas it is the product's total life cycle that matters. Therefore, Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards is misleading -- makes perfect sense.

Hence Statement II is the premise and Statement I is the conclusion.

This means Choice D, though true, is the premise. Choice A is the Conclusion.

I understand the usefulness of dissecting an argument but this is a Conclusion question so the conclusion is never stated in the stimulus, our job is to actually find it. So how come are you dissecting a conclusion and premise from the stimulus for this specific question, if I may ask?

Thank you, good job with this question
Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 32

Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 18:29
(A) Baumgartner makes a deceptive comparison between the
environmental hazards of gasoline powered and
electric cars.---- Exactly what we want. CORRECT. Stated in the first line of the argument.
(B) The use of a typical
gasoline-powered car results in much greater
resource depletion than does the use of a typical
electric car.---- This is a premise stated in the argument but not the conclusion. The conclusion is that Baumgartner creates a misleading comparison because he does not take into account all the factors.
(C) Baumgartner uses inaccurate data in his
comparison of the environmental hazards of
gasoline-powered and electric cars.---- INCORRECT, because the data is not inaccurate but just not enough data taken into account by Baumgartner.
(D) The total life cycle of a product is what matters
in assessing its environmental impact.---- INCORRECT, What about the use, recycling? The answer choice does not mention all the factors that are mentioned in the argument.
(E) The production of gasoline-powered cars creates
more environmental hazards than does that of
electric cars.---- INCORRECT, because there is no information about environmental hazards. We are only concerned with how Baumgartner comparison is misleading.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 10-28-2014
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 45

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2014, 17:53
Zatarra wrote:
vjsharma25 wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:
IMO A

correct,but did you find it a bit confusing to choose the conclusion or it was too easy to do that?

It was not confusing . I was between A and D . Since the argument centres arounds BG s method of comparison , i went for A . However since D is also true , i was a bit nervous about ignoring D

I ignored D because it was a restatement of the premise. Not a conclusion.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2014, 20:40
Hello all,

Out of respect to the time of those on the forum, questions like this "What is the conclusion of the argument?" do not appear in official GMAT material. This is a question type that you'll see on the LSAT (Law School Admissions Test), but not on the GMAT.

Allen T.
EMPOWERgmat Advisor
http://www.empowergmat.com

FREE: Free Instant EMPOWERgmat Sample
http://www.empowergmat.com/free-workshop/

GMAT Score "Stuck"? SCORE BOOSTER can help you break through!
http://www.empowergmat.com/score-booster/

Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2014, 20:40