Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BB has traveled to remote houses in the Caribbean to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 76028

BB has traveled to remote houses in the Caribbean to [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2003, 05:45
BB has traveled to remote houses in the Caribbean to photograph the art of Indian women,( whose paintings are brillantly colored,), their geometrical symmetries elaborated with old and new iconography and a style that varies from female to female and house to house.)

A) This is the right answer, but why? Actually, you can tell because it sounds the best among the remaining choices but due to copyright I am just going to the main point.

B) whose murals are brillantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography, and their style is varying among women and houses.

ETS claims the inserting of are before embellished into an independent clause will create an run-on sentence. Why?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8208 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Official Guide 7th Edition( Changed) [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2003, 16:44
Expert's post
VTay25 wrote:
BB has traveled to remote houses in the Caribbean to photograph the art of Indian women,( whose paintings are brillantly colored,), their geometrical symmetries elaborated with old and new iconography and a style that varies from female to female and house to house.)

A) This is the right answer, but why? Actually, you can tell because it sounds the best among the remaining choices but due to copyright I am just going to the main point.

B) whose murals are brillantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography, and their style is varying among women and houses.

ETS claims the inserting of are before embellished into an independent clause will create an run-on sentence. Why?

It seems you don't know what a Run-on sentence is.... Otherwise you would have known why. Am I right?

-=-
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 76028

Run-On doesn't look likely [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2003, 13:57
their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography.

Is that a run-on sentence? It doesn't sound like one.

Victor
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Run-On doesn't look likely [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2003, 20:33
Expert's post
VTay25 wrote:
their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography.

Is that a run-on sentence? It doesn't sound like one.

Victor

If you have a subject and a verb - you get a clause or aka sentence. If you have two of them together, you need to separate them either with a semi-colon or a conjunction and a comma. if you have two clauses unseparated, you get a Run-on sentence.

Adding ARE will add a verb and thus create an independed clause.

Also among women and houses is logically incorrect - it comnpares women and houses, but I guess you have noticed this.

-=-
Eternal Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Reply to Bogdan [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2003, 07:02
I guess these are not right because these are descriptors mixed with an independent clause, a no-no.

ETS is saying it leads to a run-on sentence, are they right?

Victor
Eternal Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Leads to a Run-On, that's what I meant, sorry [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2003, 07:18
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Leads to a Run-On, that's what I meant, sorry [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2003, 11:30
Expert's post
[quote="Curly05"][/quote]

Even if they are wrong, you can't argue

Think about it: ARE IMBELLISHED - isn't it a VERB???

Symmetries - isn't it a NOUN?

I think they do this in the third grade.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2004, 17:43
The original questions reads thus:

BB has traveled to remote dwellings in the Transvaal to photograph the art of Ndebele women, whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house.
  [#permalink] 29 Jan 2004, 17:43