Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 13:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BC vs. NYU

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: BC (PT), NYU (PT), Oxford, Cambridge, IMD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

BC vs. NYU [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 05:16
I have a related post in the General B-School section, but I wanted to further drill down and ask folks who might have some PT MBA specific knowledge. For my background and what I am trying to do, please read: roi-80954.html

Basically I am considering a PT MBA at Boston College or New York University because I have secured sponsorship support for my employer and could continue to work/operate my business. Since I live in Boston, BC would be the easier option, however I know that NYU-Stern has weekend classes and it is a stronger program. I wouldn’t mind going down to NYC over the weekend and staying over at my parent’s house while taking classes.

Since I am currently working in non-profit finance and interested in shifting over to Investment Management, I am thinking that NYU’s NYC location might be an advantage but I am concerned about the career switch:

1. I understand that the Langone program participants don’t get the career services support.
2. If I am taking classes on the weekends, I won’t have the opportunity to really be out and about in NYC during the weekdays (unless I take days off from work).

Shifting over to BC, it would be the more convenient option, but can anyone comment on the feasibility of finding the right job in IM in the Boston area? Also, I am not sure how BC’s PT MBA program is seen locally.

Also, any advice or tips on career switching while doing a PT-MBA program?

Before success comes in any man's life he is sure to meet with much temporary defeat and, perhaps, some failures. When defeat overtakes a man, the easiest and most logical thing to do is to quit. That is exactly what the majority of men do.

- Napoleon Hill

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (WEMBA East)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: BC vs. NYU [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2009, 09:28
Boston2009 wrote:
1. I understand that the Langone program participants don’t get the career services support.

I think it depends on your expectations.

http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/lang ... doc_id=336

It sounds like you have access to the career center but not campus interviewing. I think this is comparable to a lot of EMBA/PMBA programs, but the historical concern has been segregating career services access so that financially sponsored students aren't being lured away from their sponsoring employers.

You should clarify with the program directly, but my guess is they're not necessarily going to help you pull a career switch. Again, this isn't atypical--part-time or exec programs aren't intended to be career switching vehicles per se.

Boston2009 wrote:
2. If I am taking classes on the weekends, I won’t have the opportunity to really be out and about in NYC during the weekdays (unless I take days off from work).

Not sure what your point or concern was here.

Boston2009 wrote:
Shifting over to BC, it would be the more convenient option, but can anyone comment on the feasibility of finding the right job in IM in the Boston area? Also, I am not sure how BC’s PT MBA program is seen locally.

I can't say whether either is a top ranked PT or EMBA program (NYU does well in US News but not in BW--I'm completely biased because I work with a bunch of Langone grads who have never impressed me).

Not sure what they reputation in Boston is for BU, NYU's probably making the most of local bias here in NYC. It looks like NYU might be a bit more selective with its classes and that's likely to make the program a better experience overall. Likewise, if you're willing to relocate from Boston to NYC, you probably open yourself up to a broader pool of potential career switching destinations (in which case NYU would be the more likely choice).
Re: BC vs. NYU   [#permalink] 26 Jul 2009, 09:28