Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 19:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BD Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

BD Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 10:15
Hi everyone. I appreciate any suggestions and comments regarding my profile evaluation.

Personal: Asian male, 24 years old

Undergraduate: 3.5/4.0, top 10 undergraduate business school; Spring 2009

Work Experience: Consulting at a big four accounting firm since Fall 2009. Primarily performing quantitative analysis, such as validating financial models and valuing derivatives

GMAT: 730 (V44, Q47)

Activities: Volunteer program, clubs during undergraduate studies

Objective: Business development at Fortune 500 company

Targets: Finance program at Berkeley, MIT, UCLA, Wharton, Yale (any additional programs/schools I should consider?)

One big question I have is regarding when to apply. It sounds as though a lot of people go through the application process twice. If I apply this year, I’ll only have two years of working experience, and so I’m not sure if that will be looked upon favorably. On the other hand, if I wait until next year to apply and don’t get accepted, I will have to wait until five years after I’ve graduated from undergraduate (five years working experience) to apply again.

Any feedback and questions are greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: BD Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 12:45
Apply when you're ready. No one's going to be able to tell you when to apply. So what if you have only two years of work experience? Or five years of experience? Or 13 years? It doesn't matter. As long as you're prepared to undertake the new challenge in life, and that you know exactly why now is the best time to pursue it, go for it! With that said, you have good grades, good score, and good work experience. If you feel the need to pursue your MBA working for just two years, explain it well in your essay and interview. AdComs will be especially curious about your situation. You come from the traditional route (business undergrad, asian, work for big 4 accounting). Your peers who have your similar profile will work for 3 or 4 years before applying. Why two for you then? You don't have to answer it here, but know that it's something that adcoms will scrutinize over. Again though, if you know why now and why MBA, utilize those reasons and convince the adcoms. You should have a good shot at getting into at least one of the schools on your list.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: BD Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 12:46
oh ya, just to get a bit more technical, I'd switch out Sloan for Chicago Booth, which is known for its finance program. But honestly, any of these top schools can help you get to where you want to be at.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: BD Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 08:35
Thanks a lot for your feedback. It's definitely something that I will think about now- when I feel it is best to apply and go get an MBA. Right now I feel as though an extra year of work and more experience on another project or two would be beneficial before going back to school. Regardless, I'll need to do a lot more thinking and researching before moving forward.
Re: BD Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 18 May 2011, 08:35