Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 13:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BD Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

BD Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 08:38
Thanks!

Last edited by sesamemochi on 20 May 2011, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: BD Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 23:57
Expert's post
Hi sesamemochi:

To answer your first question regarding your undergraduate leadership activities -- it really depends on what the essay topic or question is on the application (as well as the competitiveness of the school). Generally speaking, the best work and outside of the office leadership activities are those that are more recent -- let us say the past two years. Some schools will last you for your most significant leadership examples -- this is where you want to have a mix up professional and personal examples that cover a period of time. While the examples may differ in nature, the leadership characteristics you espouse must be consistent across personal and professional worlds.

Since we do not know the exact question you will be answering at this point -- I would say that your undergraduate activities may be appropriate, but may not be the most impactful. I know you are probably working long hours, but I would look to get involved with something at work, that is both leadership oriented and is something that requires a commitment to a specific philanthropic cause.

I have worked with several clients that have similar backgrounds to you and they were able to get into MIT and Haas. The only difference is that they had a current out of the office and philanthropic leadership activity. If you can manage to swing a new leadership activity, that I think you should apply to these two schools (as well as Yale, UCLA). I believe that Wharton is going to be a stretch.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: BD Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 09:32
Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I've been meaning to participate in more outside activities but have been somewhat limited on my time. Now that the GMAT is out of the way, I'm looking to spend even more time at the volunteering program I'm in and am hoping to take on additional responsibilities there. I'll continue looking around for another activity that I'm interested in/want to become involved in.

Thanks again for your help!