Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Beaten by the GMAT - 640 q42 v36 down from 770 on Gmatprep H

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Beaten by the GMAT - 640 q42 v36 down from 770 on Gmatprep H [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 01:23
Hey guys,

I took the GMAT yesterday and got a 640 and was shocked when I saw my score.

I used the Manhattan guides and OG 12 for quant

Manhattan SC and Powerscore CR books for verbal.

I was consistently doing well on GMAT Prep and Powerprep tests which was the reason I booked an appointment and went ahead and took the exam.

Here's my practice test scores

Gmatprep 1 - 650

Gmat prep 1 repeat 720 Q49 V40

Powerprep 1 and 2 740 Q49 V41

Gmat Prep 2 730 Q48 V41

Gmat prep 2 reinstalled 770 Q50 V47 (very few repeats)

GMAT 640 - Q42 V 36

I badly need a score of atleast 720. What do you suggest I do?

I did self study and did not use shortcuts and the bullcrap but learnt all the concepts cold and was pretty confident I would do well.

At the same time, I dont think I saw any questions which threw me off balance or those which I couldn't do. I ran out of time in both the sections - I normally finish verbal with atleast 10 minutes on the clock. I had to guess the last 3 Q's on both the sections.

I'm not a morning person but wrote the test in the morning - which must have partly contributed to the decrease - maybe a lack of concentration or maybe my nerves got to me.

Im very disappointed and confused. I would be grateful if the Gurus here can guide me - retake in a month or retake in 2-3 months(take about 10 days off and then come back full force)

Also, I think Ive exhausted all the resources - tests and practice problems I have - It would be nice if you guys could suggest more practice resources/tests

Tx

P.S. I think I might have messed up the first few Qs in quant - another probaale reason for my low score.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Beaten by the GMAT - 640 q42 v36 down from 770 on Gmatprep H [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 02:51
:( really sad buddy.

I feel sorry for you, but may be it was your bad day and things didn't went your way. (It's improtant to be calm during test)

It is just a test and it doesn't tell anything about you - So don't feel dishearted and start over again. (You gotta a point to prove , not to world but to yourself)

Your test score looks good - Don't let it go, I believe you belong to 700+ league.

Check this forum: GMAT Study Plan: go from 650 to 700+
gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html#p602585

GMAT Club Error Log V3.0 - with Timer
GMAT Club Error Log
Spoilt Error Log V0.0.9 - with Timer
Awesome Error Log - By Spoilt and Trianglock

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Beaten by the GMAT - 640 q42 v36 down from 770 on Gmatprep H [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 05:03
hey buddy, have wrote it once myself and didnt get the score i was hoping for.There are my thoughts -

1) Gmat is tougher than the prep tests.So keep in mind that the chance of you getting a higher score is minimal.Having said that , your actual score is too low to vindicate considering your prep scores.

2)Look at the bright side,most guys who are dissapointed with thier score after Gmat are not sure if they can improve on it.You know that you have got it in you to improve your score because of your high scores in the prep.

3)GMAT is nerve wrecking.So it is advisable ,if you can , to simulate the exact environment as the GMAT center. How do you think you do generally under pressure?

4) Coming to the part about the time you took the exam- IMO its mind over matter.Having said that , i myself am not a morning person and sleep late and wake up late.So I scheduled my exam for the evening.If it helps you become mentally confident because of the evening schedule,do that instead.Also,like me if you are used to sleeping till late in the mornings except on the the GMAT day,you cant expect to be in full form on that day.

5)Any chance that you over studied and cramed so much on the previous day? I did that and i got thrashed :-) so try not to do that.

I suggest you take a small break and try doing preps again and see what your scores are then.I wont suggest to you anything about the study part cause i am still doing it myself and only time will tell if i am doing the right thing.There are enough experts around here who will help you on that. Keep your head down and mind straight.All the best.

VCG
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Beaten by the GMAT - 640 q42 v36 down from 770 on Gmatprep H [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 06:26
agreed with some of the points. taking the test in the morning is a huge no-no IMO, even if you are a morning person. undoubtedly, the test will cause us some stress (we are humans after all, no matter how much we try to relax the night before).

reschedule in a month for an afternoon slot. start taking some of the MGMAT tests to build up your test stamina (you mentioned you had a MGMAT SC book, so you should have access to their 6 free tests). If not, then buy another MGMAT book from the internet, and use the code they give you for the tests.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2234

Kudos [?]: 8391 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Beaten by the GMAT - 640 q42 v36 down from 770 on Gmatprep H [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 07:10
Expert's post
Try adding a few seconds into your strategy for checking answers.
I added 5-10 seconds of time to each question - I would slow down after reading the question the first time (as not to rush), and then also would spend 5 seconds at the end of the question, to "reflect" and make sure I take a high level view - asking myself does this answer make sense and can it be possible?

I found 2! mistakes this way on my quant GMAT.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Beaten by the GMAT - 640 q42 v36 down from 770 on Gmatprep H [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 22:50
Thank you all for the encouraging words. Will probably retake in a month.

@bb thanks for the timing tip.

Whenever I did problems from the OG 12, I was timing myself using the gmat timer. I had never taken more than 1:45 secs per question. But in all my practice tests i used to finish quant with 5-10 seconds remaining on the clock and also guess the last 3 questions sometimes. On the other hand I always finished verbal with atleast 10 minutes to spare. Lot of work to be done I guess :(
Re: Beaten by the GMAT - 640 q42 v36 down from 770 on Gmatprep H   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2009, 22:50