Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 10:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 04:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (low)

Question Stats:

54% (01:49) correct 45% (00:58) wrong based on 294 sessions
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

[Reveal] Spoiler: My Doubt
My question: according to OG explanation, B is wrong because phrase 'carefully coordinating....' illogically modifies the noun that immediately precedes it 'book illustrations'. But i disagree with this explanation and my understanding is, phrase 'carefully coordinating...' modifies Beatrix Potter because its' Beatrix Potter who 'coordinating', not 'illustrations' do, hence answer choice B is correct. What's wrong with my understanding ? can somebody shed the light ?
GMAT loves to confuse test takers by creating multiple modifiers between S and V. It's critical to learn the correct understanding
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 May 2011
Posts: 91
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 05:33
IMO the answer should be C.

Option B states "In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her...". Here "them" refers to book illustrations which raises a question what? In fact option A and option B also lead to the same issue.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2009
Posts: 365
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 06:28
Its C!

C is the only option where all the references to various nouns are well connected and make perfect sense!

All other options with "them" in it ruin the reference!
_________________

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|


~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 09:26
I have no doubt about pronoun 'them' in B. My question is all about modifier concept that OG explains. It's very confusing.
According to OG, 'carefully coordinating...' is in position to modify 'book illustrations', but my understanding is, 'carefully coordinating...' should modify 'Beatrix Potter' instead, which is similar to ''Walking along the road, Beatrix Potter saw several types of flowers''. Can anyone explain ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2009
Posts: 365
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 06:08
badplanner wrote:
I have no doubt about pronoun 'them' in B. My question is all about modifier concept that OG explains. It's very confusing.
According to OG, 'carefully coordinating...' is in position to modify 'book illustrations', but my understanding is, 'carefully coordinating...' should modify 'Beatrix Potter' instead, which is similar to ''Walking along the road, Beatrix Potter saw several types of flowers''. Can anyone explain ?


Yes your understanding is correct but you cant compare "Walking along the road, Beatrix Potter saw several types of flowers'' because you have only Beatrix Potter as the subject but in the given problem you have "Beatrice Potter" and "her book illustrations"....

Also to quote
Quote:
My question: according to OG explanation, B is wrong because phrase 'carefully coordinating....' illogically modifies the noun that immediately precedes it 'book illustrations'.
. The explanation is correct. Assuming B is correct, look at the sentence below:

In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

Probably this will help you to understand that carefully coordinating is modifying illustrations and not Beatrice.....

Hope this helps!
_________________

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|


~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 21:26
Can you explain more detailed why 'carefully coordinating...'
must modify 'book illutrations' while 'carefully coordinating....' can also modify the following clause 'Beatrix Potter'. Is there any grammatical rule that validate this type of modifier ?

To my understanding, V-ing participle modify its preceeding noun when there's no comma (,) in between V-ing participle and preceeding noun. In this case, there's a comma in between 'book illustration' and 'carefully coordinating', it's very weird.

In terms of meaning, if 'carefully coordinating...' modifies 'book illustrations' (not 'in her book illustrations'), then who do the 'coordinating' ? book illustration ? i don't think so.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 147
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 23:22
badplanner wrote:
Can you explain more detailed why 'carefully coordinating...'
must modify 'book illutrations' while 'carefully coordinating....' can also modify the following clause 'Beatrix Potter'. Is there any grammatical rule that validate this type of modifier ?

To my understanding, V-ing participle modify its preceeding noun when there's no comma (,) in between V-ing participle and preceeding noun. In this case, there's a comma in between 'book illustration' and 'carefully coordinating', it's very weird.

In terms of meaning, if 'carefully coordinating...' modifies 'book illustrations' (not 'in her book illustrations'), then who do the 'coordinating' ? book illustration ? i don't think so.



Good point..I am little confused here as well..What Carefully coordinating trying to modify..
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Back to (GMAT) Times Square!!!
Joined: 15 Aug 2011
Posts: 189
Location: United States (IL)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 02:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
Initally I went with E, but them looked dubious, so C is the best one!
_________________

Working towards a goal...
V.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2009
Posts: 54
Location: Bangalore
Schools: ISB
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 27

Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 23:21
I choose B first
then second time got it right
_________________

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Target MBA
Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 212
Location: Singapore
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 10:02
badplanner wrote:
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

[Reveal] Spoiler: My Doubt
My question: according to OG explanation, B is wrong because phrase 'carefully coordinating....' illogically modifies the noun that immediately precedes it 'book illustrations'. But i disagree with this explanation and my understanding is, phrase 'carefully coordinating...' modifies Beatrix Potter because its' Beatrix Potter who 'coordinating', not 'illustrations' do, hence answer choice B is correct. What's wrong with my understanding ? can somebody shed the light ?
GMAT loves to confuse test takers by creating multiple modifiers between S and V. It's critical to learn the correct understanding


A - Incorrect - them is ambigous
B - Incorrect - wrong placement of modifiers
C - Correct
D - Incorrect - Beatrix Potter was not Carefully coordinated
E - Incorrect - them is ambigous
_________________

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Retaking next month
Affiliations: None
Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 229
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 32

Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 18:58
'which' correctly refers to book illustration & uses " coordinated ' which is the correct tense for this sentence(Past tense).

C is the most appropriate.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Retaking next month
Affiliations: None
Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 229
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 32

Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 19:00
gautammalik wrote:
badplanner wrote:
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

[Reveal] Spoiler: My Doubt
My question: according to OG explanation, B is wrong because phrase 'carefully coordinating....' illogically modifies the noun that immediately precedes it 'book illustrations'. But i disagree with this explanation and my understanding is, phrase 'carefully coordinating...' modifies Beatrix Potter because its' Beatrix Potter who 'coordinating', not 'illustrations' do, hence answer choice B is correct. What's wrong with my understanding ? can somebody shed the light ?
GMAT loves to confuse test takers by creating multiple modifiers between S and V. It's critical to learn the correct understanding


A - Incorrect - them is ambigous
B - Incorrect - wrong placement of modifiers
C - Correct
D - Incorrect - Beatrix Potter was not Carefully coordinated
E - Incorrect - them is ambigous


'them' is not ambiguos. It clearly refers to book illustration. Them is used for plural & "beatrix potter is definitely not a plural". So the use of them is not ambiguous. :wink:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Posts: 154
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 42

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 05:43
fell for B :(
Good question BTW.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 145
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 03:28
badplanner wrote:
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

[Reveal] Spoiler: My Doubt
My question: according to OG explanation, B is wrong because phrase 'carefully coordinating....' illogically modifies the noun that immediately precedes it 'book illustrations'. But i disagree with this explanation and my understanding is, phrase 'carefully coordinating...' modifies Beatrix Potter because its' Beatrix Potter who 'coordinating', not 'illustrations' do, hence answer choice B is correct. What's wrong with my understanding ? can somebody shed the light ?
GMAT loves to confuse test takers by creating multiple modifiers between S and V. It's critical to learn the correct understanding


Chose B at first. But B has pronoun ambiguity. C is the best answer.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 98
Location: Mexico
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.85
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 12:25
C is correct.

The trick in this one, from my perspective, is that the prepositional phrase (in her book illustrations) is interrupted by the non essential modifier phrase, in which... phrase that correctly modifies book illustrations.

Keep walking!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2012
Posts: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 06:22
good question, think its from the OG ... C worked for me because the comma was underlined at the end
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1710
Followers: 1170

Kudos [?]: 3045 [2] , given: 176

Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 07:04
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
badplanner wrote:
I have no doubt about pronoun 'them' in B. My question is all about modifier concept that OG explains. It's very confusing.
According to OG, 'carefully coordinating...' is in position to modify 'book illustrations', but my understanding is, 'carefully coordinating...' should modify 'Beatrix Potter' instead, which is similar to ''Walking along the road, Beatrix Potter saw several types of flowers''. Can anyone explain ?


Hi badplanner,

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

Choice B: In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
In this choice, we have verb-ing modifier “coordinating” after comma. The rule is if the verb-ing modifier is placed after comma, then it modifies the entire preceding clause. However, in this choice, there is not clause before the comma.

You are correct in saying that Beatrix Potter did the action of “coordinating” and logically it should refer to Potter. However, the placement of this modifier is such that it fails to do what it should do. Hence, logically “coordinating” is modifying Potter but grammatically it is not because of it placement after comma.

Let’s compare this choice with the example you have presented:

Walking along the road, Beatrix Potter saw several types of flowers.

There is no modifier error in this sentence. The sentence begins with the verb-ing modifier “walking”, and correctly modifies the subject of the main clause “Beatrix Potter” because she did the action of walking. Notice here that there is no comma before the verb-ing modifier.
In choice B of this OG question, we do have a comma before the verb-ing modifier. Thus it should modify the preceding clause. But there is no clause there. I also quite don’t agree to all the explanations of OG. They have terrific questions but not all the explanations are that good.

The usage of Verb-ing Modifiers has been covered in excruciating details in the "Modifiers - Verb-ing" Concept in the Level 1 Preview Concepts. This section is available for free. Just login to e-gmat.com, register for free and learn the concept.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________



Free Webinar: July 12, 2014 - Key to score 760 on the GMAT: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your GMAT strategy and create your own study plan to ace the GMAT. Click here to register.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 865
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 294

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 11:10
IMHO OG correctly explained it

Th is sentence awkwardly presents two phrases
intended to modify Beatrix Potter and loses the
clarity and logic of the meaning.
In the original
sentence, these modifiers sound choppy and
create too much separation between the subject,
Beatrix Potter, and the verb capitalized. Beginning
the sentence with In her book illustrations and
following that phrase with the relative clause
which she carefully coordinated with her narratives
allows the subject, Beatrix Potter, to be united
with the verb, capitalized, for a stronger main
clause.

_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Work hard in silence, let success make the noise
Joined: 25 Nov 2013
Posts: 160
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 84

Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 23:51
gautammalik wrote:
badplanner wrote:
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

[Reveal] Spoiler: My Doubt
My question: according to OG explanation, B is wrong because phrase 'carefully coordinating....' illogically modifies the noun that immediately precedes it 'book illustrations'. But i disagree with this explanation and my understanding is, phrase 'carefully coordinating...' modifies Beatrix Potter because its' Beatrix Potter who 'coordinating', not 'illustrations' do, hence answer choice B is correct. What's wrong with my understanding ? can somebody shed the light ?
GMAT loves to confuse test takers by creating multiple modifiers between S and V. It's critical to learn the correct understanding


A - Incorrect - them is ambigous
B - Incorrect - wrong placement of modifiers
C - Correct
D - Incorrect - Beatrix Potter was not Carefully coordinated
E - Incorrect - them is ambigous


Can anybody explain me how is them in option A ambiguous. According to me, there is only 1 plural noun illustrations.
_________________

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

Re: OG12 Q105 Beatrix Potter   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2013, 23:51
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully automan 4 04 Jan 2008, 16:42
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully bmwhype2 8 11 Jul 2007, 10:51
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully Notmykind 3 25 Mar 2007, 11:12
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully rahulraao 6 15 Sep 2005, 07:09
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully prasad_bgv 10 10 Jan 2005, 21:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.