Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 17:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 05-05-2012
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 19:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

71% (02:25) correct 29% (01:53) wrong based on 81 sessions
Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical compound, the patent does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like it, as long as those chemicals have at least one structural difference with the patented compound.
(A) same as original
(B) That a manufacturer has secured a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds do not bar competitors from producing similar chemicals and having at least one important difference from the patented compound
(C) A patent for one of a manufacturer’s pharmaceutical compounds does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like the patented compound, as long as the two differ structurally in at least one way
(D) When securing a patent for one of a manufacturer’s pharmaceutical compounds, competitors are not barred from the production of chemicals such as the patented compound, provided that there is at least one structural difference
(E) Even if a manufacturer secures a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds, this does not bar competitors from the production of a chemical such as the patented compound, but having at least one structural difference from it

OA will follow.

GMAT and a 19 month old to take care of.... Possible!!!

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 102 [2] , given: 31

Re: SC - clarity of Meaning [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 23:01
This post received
KUDOS
(A) Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical compound, the patent does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like it, as long as those chemicals have at least one structural difference with the patented compound.
(B) That a manufacturer has secured a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds do not bar competitors from producing similar chemicals and having at least one important difference from the patented compound
(C) A patent for one of a manufacturer’s pharmaceutical compounds does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like the patented compound, as long as the two differ structurally in at least one way
(D) When securing a patent for one of a manufacturer’s pharmaceutical compounds, competitors are not barred from the production of chemicals such as the patented compound, provided that there is at least one structural difference
(E) Even if a manufacturer secures a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds, this does not bar competitors from the production of a chemical such as the patented compound, but having at least one structural difference from it

hence C
OA??

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 15

Re: SC - clarity of Meaning [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 23:30
This post received
KUDOS
Yes OA is C.
For mentioned reasons and also for other reasons such as:
A is wrong: because is a wrong conjunction.
B is wrong : subject verb agreement issue, that noun clause is singular and the verb used is "do not"
D is wrong : The modifier "when securing..."modifies competitors and alters meaning.
E is wrong : The use of pronoun "this" is incorrect.

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 7

Re: SC - clarity of Meaning [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 23:32
C or D.

But I do not like C because of "two" and D because of "such as".

What is OA?
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14 (S)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - clarity of Meaning [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 07:37
I will try to use 'Clarity' to attack this question.

(A) Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical compound, the patent does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like it, as long as those chemicals have at least one structural difference with the patented compound.
Because a manufacturer does X, X does not...sounds in correct, since the first one is a dependent clause. It should be "Because a manufacturer does X, it (manufacturer) does not.... Also there are pronoun issues 'chemicals like IT', and 'THOSE chemicals'.
S-V issue
This states an action, "when securing a patent". An action of the manufacturer does not bar competitors, but it's the result of the action that bars competitors.
Pronoun issue

Let me know what you make of this.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: SC - clarity of Meaning [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 15:38
harshap wrote:
Yes OA is C.
For mentioned reasons and also for other reasons such as:
A is wrong: because is a wrong conjunction.
B is wrong : subject verb agreement issue, that noun clause is singular and the verb used is "do not"
D is wrong : The modifier "when securing..."modifies competitors and alters meaning.
E is wrong : The use of pronoun "this" is incorrect.

hi Harshap. confused on this one. thought A was the right answer despite the 'because' at the starting because of the intented meaning which was:

Patents are granted on pharma.. compounds and not on chemicals. hence a manufacturer holding a patent cannot bar a competitor if the competitor can prove that his/her chemical has atleast one structural difference.

on the looks of it, i had eliminated C and D because of the possessive i.e., manufacturer's ph...compound that i felt restructured the meaning differently.

B - felt awkward E - such that is incorrectly used.

so i guess question is why C and not A? :( :(
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

Re: SC - clarity of Meaning [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 15:55
The sentence construction is such that, it tries to explain the limitation of patent protection. Author says, the manufacturer secures patent, but patent does not bar...i.e. because manufacturer does X, X does not
the construction is not as you deciphered , because manufacturer does x, manufacturer does not....
the patent can not bar something (patent limitation), is not a result of manufacturer's securing patent.

Hope this helps.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: SC - clarity of Meaning [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 16:17
harshap wrote:
The sentence construction is such that, it tries to explain the limitation of patent protection. Author says, the manufacturer secures patent, but patent does not bar...i.e. because manufacturer does X, X does not
the construction is not as you deciphered , because manufacturer does x, manufacturer does not....
the patent can not bar something (patent limitation), is not a result of manufacturer's securing patent.

Hope this helps.

Hi harshap, afraid I don't follow. Having a patent clearly bars competitors from using the same chemicals. Though I understand now why C could be correct, I feel that A is wrong now because the statement would have been better if it started with "Just because..." Instead of "Because..."

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: SC - clarity of Meaning   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2012, 16:17