Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 601 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

87% (02:08) correct 13% (01:27) wrong based on 76 sessions
Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical compound, the patent does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like it, as long as those chemicals have at least one structural difference with the patented compound.

a)Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical compound, the patent does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like it, as long as those chemicals have at least one structural difference with the patented compound

b)That a manufacturer has secured a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds do not bar competitors from producing similar chemicals and having at least one important difference from the patented compound

c)A patent for one of a manufacturer’s pharmaceutical compounds does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like the patented compound, as long as the two differ structurally in at least one way

d)When securing a patent for one of a manufacturer’s pharmaceutical compounds, competitors are not barred from the production of chemicals such as the patented compound, provided that there is at least one structural difference

e)Even if a manufacturer secures a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds, this does not bar competitors from the production of a chemical such as the patented compound, but having at least one structural difference from it

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Let us have some discussion first

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Pharmaceutical compounds [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 10:30
B-use of that is not correct.
D-change the meaning.
E- use of It is ambigous
Between A&C I will go for C as it is concise and gives clear meaning. :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 44

Re: Pharmaceutical compounds [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 05:33
Marcab wrote:
Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical compound, the patent does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like it, as long as those chemicals have at least one structural difference with the patented compound.

a)Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical compound, the patent does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like it, as long as those chemicals have at least one structural difference with the patented compound

b)That a manufacturer has secured a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds do not bar competitors from producing similar chemicals and having at least one important difference from the patented compound

c)A patent for one of a manufacturer’s pharmaceutical compounds does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like the patented compound, as long as the two differ structurally in at least one way

d)When securing a patent for one of a manufacturer’s pharmaceutical compounds, competitors are not barred from the production of chemicals such as the patented compound, provided that there is at least one structural difference

e)Even if a manufacturer secures a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds, this does not bar competitors from the production of a chemical such as the patented compound, but having at least one structural difference from it

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Let us have some discussion first

IMO A.

As you said i went with meaning for this question :)

Because represents contrast....
i guess B D E doesnt produce any contrast.

C gives the intended meaning without contrast word. (seems to be right)

pls correct me if im wrong

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 601 [0], given: 62

Re: Pharmaceutical compounds [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 06:20
Expert's post
Why do you think a contrast is needed here?
Consider this example.
Because India has a prime minister who is Sikh, it doesn't bars a person of other religion to become the prime minister of India.
Does the above example requires contrast?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 62

Re: Pharmaceutical compounds [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 07:18

a)Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical compound, the patent does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like it, as long as those chemicals have at least one structural difference with the patented compound pronoun ambiguity

b)That a manufacturer has secured a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds do not bar competitors from producing similar chemicals and having at least one important difference from the patented compound incorrect usage of having

c)A patent for one of a manufacturer’s pharmaceutical compounds does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like the patented compound, as long as the two differ structurally in at least one way correct

d)When securing a patent for one of a manufacturer’s pharmaceutical compounds, competitors are not barred from the production of chemicals such as the patented compound, provided that there is at least one structural difference who is secures the patent - manufacturers or competitors..it says competitors - incorrect

e)Even if a manufacturer secures a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds, this does not bar competitors from the production of a chemical such as the patented compound, but having at least one structural difference from it incorrect usage of having

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 262

Kudos [?]: 1562 [3] , given: 249

Re: Pharmaceutical compounds [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 09:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
a)Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical compound, the patent does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like it, as long as those chemicals have at least one structural difference with the patented compound ------ ‘from producing a chemical like it’ , ‘as long as those chemicals have’ see the shift in number. From a chemical, the choice incongruously shifts to ‘those chemicals’

b)That a manufacturer has secured a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds do not bar competitors from producing similar chemicals and having at least one important difference from the patented compound incorrect usage of having--- The subject of the sentence is the long --- That a manufacturer has secured a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds--- This is considered singular and hence the verb should be -- does not bar -- and not --do not bar--.

c) A patent for one of a manufacturer’s pharmaceutical compounds does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like the patented compound, as long as the two differ structurally in at least one way correct – Correct choice. You may see that this is a comparison between tow compounds and that one is the example of each other; use of ' such as' is wrong as you find in later choices. .

d)When securing a patent for one of a manufacturer’s pharmaceutical compounds, competitors are not barred from the production of chemicals such as the patented compound, provided that there is at least one structural difference --- 1. Modification problem 2. When we use a subordinate conjunction such as ‘when” it should be part of a full-fledged clause, with a noun verb and not with a simple participial phrase as comparing 3. 'such as' is wrong

e)Even if a manufacturer secures a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds, this does not bar competitors from the production of a chemical such as the patented compound, but having at least one structural difference from it. ----1. From the production is wrong idiom; from producing is the acceptable version 2. 2. 'Such as' are wrong 3. But having is a wrong structure. We cannot use a fanboy here to connect IC and a participial phrase 4. Do all the manufacturer’s put together produce one chemical? It should be chemicals rather

Nice question Kudo to Marcab

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 23:04
A looks good to me except that it switched from "a chemical like it"to a plural "those chemicals"
The "Because..." phrase provides a subordinate clause and a reason why the "patent" does not bar other competitors
from producing a similar chemical. The use of "such as" is wrong because we don't expect other companies to produce the
SAME chemical that has already been patented and without any license to do that.

C: after a pause for the referent of "the TWO differ structurally ", i think the meaning is clear and grammatically sound.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT Date: 10-26-2012
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 20:18
Because A , B happens , as long as C occurs. This is the format of the given Question.
From seeing the options given . B , D , E gets eliminated Becoz of change in meaning.
Im stuck with A & C. I dunno wat s the answer.
I believe its time to give the correct OA atleast after a couple of weeks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 28

Re: Pharmaceutical compounds [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 21:02
praveen750 wrote:
B-use of that is not correct.
D-change the meaning.
E- use of It is ambigous
Between A&C I will go for C as it is concise and gives clear meaning. :)

B is wrong not because of the use of That-clause
In fact, in MGMAT SC 4th ed, the GMAT prefers a That-clause (with verbs) to a series of phrases (with nouns). As a poster here has pointed out, the "that-clause" requires a singular verb; therefore, "do not bar" is wrong.

I think the use of structure "Because X, Y" makes answer choice (A) wrong. The intended meaning of the original problem is not about the cause-effect relation; it just means that a patent for a product does not prevent other producer from making similar product.

My answer is (C)

There can be Miracles when you believe

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 21:16
santhoshnebalan wrote:
Because A , B happens , as long as C occurs. This is the format of the given Question.
From seeing the options given . B , D , E gets eliminated Becoz of change in meaning.
Im stuck with A & C. I dunno wat s the answer.
I believe its time to give the correct OA atleast after a couple of weeks.

the answer is C ....

Choice A -> the patent does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like it, as long as those chemicals....

it" is ambiguous;
"difference with" is unidiomatic.
Agreement error between the 2 boldface.

Cheers
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 601 [0], given: 62

Re: Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 21:48
Expert's post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 291

Re: Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 20:08
Doesn't one of a manufacturer's compound sound weird when u speak?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: Pharmaceutical compounds [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 05:49
daagh wrote:
a)Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical compound, the patent does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like it, as long as those chemicals have at least one structural difference with the patented compound ------ ‘from producing a chemical like it’ , ‘as long as those chemicals have’ see the shift in number. From a chemical, the choice incongruously shifts to ‘those chemicals’

b)That a manufacturer has secured a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds do not bar competitors from producing similar chemicals and having at least one important difference from the patented compound incorrect usage of having--- The subject of the sentence is the long --- That a manufacturer has secured a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds--- This is considered singular and hence the verb should be -- does not bar -- and not --do not bar--.

c) A patent for one of a manufacturer’s pharmaceutical compounds does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like the patented compound, as long as the two differ structurally in at least one way correct – Correct choice. You may see that this is a comparison between tow compounds and that one is the example of each other; use of ' such as' is wrong as you find in later choices. .

d)When securing a patent for one of a manufacturer’s pharmaceutical compounds, competitors are not barred from the production of chemicals such as the patented compound, provided that there is at least one structural difference --- 1. Modification problem 2. When we use a subordinate conjunction such as ‘when” it should be part of a full-fledged clause, with a noun verb and not with a simple participial phrase as comparing 3. 'such as' is wrong

e)Even if a manufacturer secures a patent for one of its pharmaceutical compounds, this does not bar competitors from the production of a chemical such as the patented compound, but having at least one structural difference from it. ----1. From the production is wrong idiom; from producing is the acceptable version 2. 2. 'Such as' are wrong 3. But having is a wrong structure. We cannot use a fanboy here to connect IC and a participial phrase 4. Do all the manufacturer’s put together produce one chemical? It should be chemicals rather

Nice question Kudo to Marcab

Hi,

I agree that "A" contains error b/c of the shift in number. However, I attack the sentence by meaning. When I first read the sentence, it comes to me that "A" explain a causal effect.
"Because a manufacturer secures a patent for a pharmaceutical compound , the patent does not bar competitors from producing a chemical like it, as long as those chemicals have at least one structural difference with the patented compound ". Because we care about the "compound" as a whole, so changing just 1 ingredient make it a different compound and thereby, does not violate the patent.

Can anyone help to clarify?

Many thanks :)
Re: Pharmaceutical compounds   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2014, 05:49