Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4799 [504]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [204]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [41]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [34]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi,

Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

I believe most of the people are confused because there has been some gap in understanding the meaning of the sentence. The sentence presents cause and effect. Cause: An oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging. Effect: The manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

1) Use of “because” in the beginning of the sentence is correct to show the causal relationship of the first clause with the second.

2) Singular subject “oversupply” agrees in number with singular verb “has sent”. Note, that plural “computer chips” cannot be the subject as it lies in a prepositional phrase “oversupply of computer chips”. Since “oversupply” is the head of this prepositional phrase, it is the subject of the sentence.

3) The present perfect verb “has sent” in the first clause clearly indicates that the cause has already taken place. The present perfect verb “has announced” in the second clause also clearly states that the announcement has been made because of the plunging prices. Thus, there is no error in the sentence.

POE:

A) Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging,: Correct. This choice is correct as is as pointed out in sentence analysis.

B) Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply: 1) Relative pronoun “which” refers to plural subject “prices”. But the following verb “is” is singular that does not agree in the number with its noun antecedent.
2) This choice is wordy.

C) Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply: 1) Reference to “which” is vague. It is not clear whether it refers to the price that was there before plunging or to plunging price.
2) Passive voice unnecessarily makes the choice wordy.

D) Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply: 1) The events here are not presented in the chronological order. The order of the events is: oversupply of chips, plunging prices and announcement by the manufacturer. But this choice states the order as: plunging prices, (due to) oversupply and announcement by the manufacturer. This change in order creates a bit confusion as to what happened first: plunging in prices or oversupply?

E) Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging: 1) It is better to say, due to x, y happened rather than due to x what resulted in is y. This expression makes “with the result” redundant.
2) This choice is too wordy.

1. Understand the logical intended meaning of the sentence.
2. Subject and verb must always agree in number.
3. Be vary of choices that are wordy and confusing.
4. Pronouns must have a clear referent.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [21]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 510 Q36 V25
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A very very important point to note in the usage of Because of and Due to
Because of - used when the EFFECT is a VERB
eg) The match was postponed because of the rain
Here, in this sentence the effect is a Verb . Hence Eliminate D and E

Due to - when the EFFECT is a Noun
eg) The Postponement of the match was due to the rain

Using POE , u can arrive at A

Hope this helps :)
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4799 [5]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Its Ok to use "because" at the beginning of the sentence.

https://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/015.html

because beginning a sentence. “Because I could not stop for Death—/He kindly stopped for me”. So begins one of Emily Dickinson’s most well-known poems, and so falls another of the more arbitrary rules of usage, which states that you should not begin a sentence with because. As Dickinson’s poem attests, there are occasions when because is perfectly appropriate as the opening word of a sentence. In fact, sentences beginning with because are quite common in written English
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
My 2 cents

GMAT test because of and due to

NOT

Because and Due to

That said, I looked at what made the manufacture cut down on production

OS or Price Plunge. Its the PP

This is clearly a modifier Q and if you ask the Q what is because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the answer is manufacturer cut production. Sentence not only misses of but also sounds as if OS made the manufacturer to cut down production

In D there is no such ambiguity. What is due to the Plunging computer chip prices?

Manufacturer decided to cut down production.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
A manufacturer does not have to refer to a person. It will very often refer to a company, and a company is always gender-neutral. So it is the automatic choice of pronoun.

Tata Motor is a company and a manufacturer. But can we call it he or she? Nay.

Secondly, why is the worry about something which is not underlined? Take it as it is and get along. That is the wy to practice GMAT prep.

Originally posted by daagh on 05 Oct 2010, 10:14.
Last edited by daagh on 30 Apr 2017, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Bookmarks
SnehaC,

The correct pronoun to refer to manufacturers and other inanimate entities (company, book, telephone, government) is "it."

You would only use "he" or "she" with living beings. If the statement said: "The manager told us to fix the problem today or he would fire us" then you would need to use "he."

Regarding your other point: On the GMAT, the antecedent is not optional; the antecedent must be present and unambiguous.

Feel free to write back with other questions!

Brett
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [9]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
schandok wrote:
Any explanations why D is wrong. in A, 'oversupply sent prices high' seems little odd. Experts please explain.

"Due to" is correct if it can be replaced by "caused by" and the resulting sentence stil makes sense.

Caused by plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month => does not make sense. we have a dangling modifier.

Crick
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Can someone explain something to me?
In answer choice B, why does 'which' modify prices and not computer chips?
I was under the impression that which modifies the word immediately preceding it.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Structure: "Because X did Y, A did B."

Here: "Because [this thing has sent prices plunging], [this other thing has announced blah blah blah]."
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
It is a well known trivia on GMAT (though this fact is not just limited to GMAT alone:)) that the usage of due to is appropriate when you can substitute due to (literally substitute in the sentence) with caused by.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [6]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos