Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 09:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (01:37) correct 29% (00:36) wrong based on 52 sessions
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

A) Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging
B) Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply
C) Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply
D) Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply
E) Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

[Reveal] Spoiler: Doubt
The correct answer is A, but the thing that I don't understand it where is the antecedent for it? I know it does not always need one, but I feel as if this sentence calls for one. I.e. IT will cut production... WHAT will? If it's the manufacturer, shouldn't he/she be used?

Can anyone clarify? Thanks!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Re: Oversupply of computer chips [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 09:36
it should be replaced with company.

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Oversupply of computer chips [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 10:47
Dreamy wrote:
it should be replaced with company.

I agree, but unfortunately, GMAC doesn't think so :/
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1702 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Oversupply of computer chips [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 09:14
Expert's post
Manufacturer does not have to refer to a person. It will very often refer to a company, and a company is always gender-neutral. So it is the automatic choice of pronoun.

Tata Motor is a company and a manufacturer. But can we call it he or he? Nay.

Secondly why is the worry about something which is not underlined. Take it as it is and get along. That is the wy to practice GMAT prep.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 7

Re: Oversupply of computer chips [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 12:53
SnehaC,

The correct pronoun to refer to manufacturers and other inanimate entities (company, book, telephone, government) is "it."

You would only use "he" or "she" with living beings. If the statement said: "The manager told us to fix the problem today or he would fire us" then you would need to use "he."

Regarding your other point: On the GMAT, the antecedent is not optional; the antecedent must be present and unambiguous.

Feel free to write back with other questions!

Brett

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Re: Oversupply of computer chips [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 17:57
Any explanations why D is wrong. in A, 'oversupply sent prices high' seems little odd. Experts please explain.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 98 [1] , given: 37

Re: Oversupply of computer chips [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 18:33
This post received
KUDOS
schandok wrote:
Any explanations why D is wrong. in A, 'oversupply sent prices high' seems little odd. Experts please explain.

"Due to" is correct if it can be replaced by "caused by" and the resulting sentence stil makes sense.

Caused by plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month => does not make sense. we have a dangling modifier.

Crick
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 12

Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 10:02
In A 'oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging' sounds awkward to me. What is plunging here - A noun? I don't get why 'send prices plunging' is used. Is this normal usage?

Thanks in advance !
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper '15 (WL)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 15:13
Well, the reason I did not like D was because it didn't clarify what was the oversupply. We know that there was an oversupply of computer chips, but that's only because we learned from school about the laws of supply and demand. In terms of written English, we have no idea what the oversupply was of. As a matter of fact, none of the answer choices say what the oversupply was of except A.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper '15 (WL)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 15:15
mneeti wrote:
In A 'oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging' sounds awkward to me. What is plunging here - A noun? I don't get why 'send prices plunging' is used. Is this normal usage?

Thanks in advance !

"send prices plunging" is not being used though. "send prices plunging" is present tense" but the tense for the answer choice is past perfect "has sent prices plunging". X has sent Y falling, and Y will continue to fall.
Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2012, 15:15