Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 06:18
Between A and E i chose A because E is redundant "due to....with the result".

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 32

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 19:18
billyjeans wrote:
D.

I think A is wrong, because of the correct idiom should be "because of". D is concise.

"because of" suggests direction of the topic and "because an" is a specific cause about the topic ---thus A.
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Wharton '17
GPA: 3.5
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 176

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2013, 06:20
goalsnr wrote:
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

A. Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging

B. Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply

C. Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply

D. Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply

E. Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I picked A on this one.But again there seem to be different OAs for this on the GMATCLUB. I am convinced by explanations by Vikram and Ak_IDC.
So lets open another can of worms :)

Trivikram

11-p257789?t=37246&hilit=Because+an+oversupply+of+computer+chips+has+sent+prices+plunging#p257789

ak_Idc

11-p257169?t=37246&hilit=Because+an+oversupply+of+computer+chips+has+sent+prices+plunging#p257169

Just to point out that GMAT usually does not like 'due to'

GMAT Black List

Due to
Being
if (vs. whether)
actually
... etc..

Hope it helps
Cheers!
J :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 00:43
[quote="goalsnr"]Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

C. Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply

E. Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

in b, "which" can jump over a noun modifier to modify that noun, "prices". but the problem is "is" not "are"

in c, "which " can jump over a verb to modify a noun, "prices" (there are a question from gmatprep). But the problem is there is no logicness. "prices, which resuted from an oversupply" is meaningless. "which" clause can not modify a main clause, on gmat.

If anyone in this gmat forum know anybody traveling to Hanoi, Vietnam on around 25 Jan 2014, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some problem and need your help. Thank

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 11:30
goalsnr wrote:
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

Parallel structure: (has sent... has announced) and (plunging... closing).. So A is correct.
Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2014, 11:30