Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 09:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because city council members in small towns are intimately

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Because city council members in small towns are intimately [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 13:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Because city council members in small towns are intimately acquainted with the public they serve, they clearly have a more difficult job than city council members in larger cities.

The conclusion above rests on which of the following assumptions?

a ) Working directly with members of the public is the one of the most challenging aspects of serving on a city council.
b ) Managing the affairs of a large city requires a more significant time commitment than working directly with the public.
c ) City council members in small towns are often related to a certain percentage of the population, making them intimately acquainted with the people they serve.
d ) Residents of small towns often attend city council meetings to present their concerns.
e ) City council members in large cities rarely engage the public directly.

I am fixed between a and e.. and think both of them are assumptions..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: CR city council [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 15:28
E for me.
There is an assumption that larger city councils do not deal as directly with the public as the small cities do.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR city council [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 19:34
Gotta be E.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR city council [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 19:54
c
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR city council [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 19:59
I choose E too.. but the OA is A
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR city council [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2008, 18:15
ssandeepan wrote:
Because city council members in small towns are intimately acquainted with the public they serve, they clearly have a more difficult job than city council members in larger cities.

a ) Working directly with members of the public is the one of the most challenging aspects of serving on a city council. -> Lets negate this ,working directly with public is the LEAST challenging job,hence concl falls apart
b ) Managing the affairs of a large city requires a more significant time commitment than working directly with the public.
c ) City council members in small towns are often related to a certain percentage of the population, making them intimately acquainted with the people they serve.
d ) Residents of small towns often attend city council meetings to present their concerns.
e ) City council members in large cities rarely engage the public directly. -> there is a difference between rarely and intimately,intimately says engaging closely with workers but rarely is
not all the time ,hence negating this statement does not weaken the concl -> if at all they engage frequently with public then concl is not affected

This question is actually not a very good question since we dont have good options ,if it has an option :
workers in larger cities are not intimately acquainted
this would have been the answer

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR city council [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 03:22
This is one of the "eliminate alternate paths" type assumption question.

a ) Working directly with members of the public is the one of the most challenging aspects of serving on a city council. - this eliminates alternate path of any other work to be more challenging than working with members of public.
b ) Managing the affairs of a large city requires a more significant time commitment than working directly with the public - out of scope
c ) City council members in small towns are often related to a certain percentage of the population, making them intimately acquainted with the people they serve. - does not support conclusion in any way.
d ) Residents of small towns often attend city council meetings to present their concerns. - out of scope
e ) City council members in large cities rarely engage the public directly. - that does not mean
their job cannot be more difficult.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR city council [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 03:31
E for me.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR city council [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 10:44
E for me
Manager
Manager

Re: CR city council [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 13:48
The ans is A here is why:

Concl: CCM in small city have > diff. job than CCM in larger ones
Evidence: CCMs in small city are intimately acquainted with their public
Author's point: "if CCM know thier people it is a harder job"
or counterpositive "if CCM don't know it is easier"

now, let's look for an answer that comes close to either one of the two paraphrased assumptions

ssandeepan wrote:

a ) Working directly with members of the public is the one of the most challenging aspects of serving on a city council. working directly (e.g.: personally, face to face) makes it HARDER for CCMs

b ) Managing the affairs of a large city requires a more significant time commitment than working directly with the public. wrong: 1. who is managing the affairs? 2. more time doesn't mean HARDER

c ) City council members in small towns are often related to a certain percentage of the population, making them intimately acquainted with the people they serve. wrong: restatement of the evidence provided in the passage

d ) Residents of small towns often attend city council meetings to present their concerns.wrong: it *could* make it harder or could make it easier -- we don't know

e ) City council members in large cities rarely engage the public directly. wrong: who says that engaging in public makes the CCM job harder? One must make an assumption for this assumption in order to make E a correct answer.

VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR city council [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 14:00
[quote="snaps"]The ans is A here is why:

Concl: CCM in small city have > diff. job than CCM in larger ones
Evidence: CCMs in small city are intimately acquainted with their public
Author's point: "if CCM know thier people it is a harder job"
or counterpositive "if CCM don't know it is easier"

now, let's look for an answer that comes close to either one of the two paraphrased assumptions

Counter positive is If it not harder job, then the CCM does not know their people

I am not sure "if CCM don't know it is easier" will hold good.

How ever, I agree with the OA A. I picked D as I thought that face to face to interaction by attending meetings would make it tough. As some one pointed that, we dont know and also given that A actually states that explicitly A is the coorect answer.
Manager
Manager

Re: CR city council [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 21:07
icandy wrote:

Counter positive is If it not harder job, then the CCM does not know their people

I am not sure "if CCM don't know it is easier" will hold good.

thanks for pointing this out Icandy.

if CCM know --> harder
counterpositive: if not harder --> CCM don't know

quick check: if NY --> USA counterpositive: if not USA --> not NY

cheers.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: CR city council [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2008, 09:01
I also go for E
OA A confusing me
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR city council [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2008, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
ssandeepan wrote:

a ) Working directly with members of the public is the one of the most challenging aspects of serving on a city council.
e ) City council members in large cities rarely engage the public directly.

The reason E is correct is because A is irrelevant. Focus on the difference between the two different cities.
Re: CR city council   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2008, 12:15