Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because ethylene dibromide, a chemical used to fumigate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Because ethylene dibromide, a chemical used to fumigate [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 17:57
bsv180985 wrote:
Because ethylene dibromide, a chemical used to fumigate grain, was blamed for the high rate of nerve damage suffered by people who work in grain-processing plants, many such plants switched to other chemical fumigants two years ago. Since then, however, the percentage of workers at these plants who were newly diagnosed with nerve damage has not dropped significantly. Therefore, either ethylene dibromide was wrongly blamed or else the new chemicals also cause nerve damage.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. If the new chemicals cause nerve damage, the nerve damage caused would be different from any nerve damage that ethylene dibromide may cause.

B. There are no chemical fumigants that are completely safe for workers in grain processing plants.

C. If ethylene dibromide causes nerve damage, it does not take two years or longer for that damage to become detectable.

D. Workers at grain-processing plants typically continue to work there even after being diagnosed with nerve damage.

E. Workers at grain-processing plants that still use ethylene dibromide continue to have a high rate of nerve damage.

Clearly the correct choice is C, if the ethylene dibromide (ED) cause nerve damage (ND) 2 year or longer for that damage to become detectable, we cannot confirm that the new chemical also cause the ND, because ND is caused by ED.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Because ethylene dibromide, a chemical used to fumigate [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 07:48
I chose C. Was in between A and C but ultimately chose C instead of A because the passage didn't talk about any distinguishing factor about nerve damage. So choice A's point on different kind of nerve damage didn't make sense to me.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Because ethylene dibromide, a chemical used to fumigate [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 22:29
A. If the new chemicals cause nerve damage, the nerve damage caused would be different from any nerve damage that ethylene dibromide may cause. - Nerve damage in general is discussed in the passage rather than the type of nerve damage. Insignificant to the current context - Incorrect
B. There are no chemical fumigants that are completely safe for workers in grain processing plants. - The effect of those fumigant on the workers are being discussed rather than the level of safety - Irrelevant - Incorrect
C. If ethylene dibromide causes nerve damage, it does not take two years or longer for that damage to become detectable. - Assuming that Ethylene dibromide takes two years to cause nerve damage and it takes two years to get detected, then it can be said that Ethylene dibromide is the sole culprit for the nerve damage. Since new cases emerge after changing the fumigants, the new chemical also causes nerve damage - Correct
D. Workers at grain-processing plants typically continue to work there even after being diagnosed with nerve damage. - The passage clearly mentions that new cases of nerve damage have been detected. It has nothing to do with the old workers working at the plant - Incorrect
E. Workers at grain-processing plants that still use ethylene dibromide continue to have a high rate of nerve damage. - Irrelevant information - Out of context - Incorrect
SVP
SVP
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Because ethylene dibromide, a chemical used to fumigate [#permalink] New post 31 May 2014, 20:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Because ethylene dibromide, a chemical used to fumigate   [#permalink] 31 May 2014, 20:44