Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 01:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because no employee wants to be associated with bad news in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 22

Because no employee wants to be associated with bad news in [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 19:11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

90% (01:52) correct 10% (00:53) wrong based on 399 sessions
Because no employee wants to be associated with bad news in the eyes of a superior, information about serious problems at lower levels is progressively softened and distorted as it goes up each step in the management hierarchy. the chief executive is therefore, less well informed about problems at lower levels than are his or her subordinates at those levels.

The conclusion drawn above is based on the assumption that
a) problems should be solved at levels in the management hierarchy at which they occur
b) employees should be rewarded for accurately reporting problems to their superiors
c) problems-solving ability is more important at higher levels than it is at lower levels of the management hierarchy
d) chief executives obtain information about problems at lower levels from the no source other than their subordinates
e) some employees are more are concerned about truth than about the way they are perceived by their superiors

guys i find answer choice D as the most appropriate But i want to know the type of assumption it is and also how d can be the assumption.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 10

Re: no employee wants to be associated with bad news [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 21:39
GMATD11 wrote:
Because no employee wants to be associated with bad news in the eyes of a superior, information about serious problems at lower levels is progressively softened and distorted as it goes up each step in the management hierarchy. the chief executive is therefore, less well informed about problems at lower levels than are his or her subordinates at those levels.

a) problems should be solved at levels in the management hierarchy at which they occur -- making a suggestion. POE.
b) employees should be rewarded for accurately reporting problems to their superiors -- making a suggestion. POE.
c) problems-solving ability is more important at higher levels than it is at lower levels of the management hierarchy -- making a suggestion. POE.

d) chief executives obtain information about problems at lower levels from the no source other than their subordinates -- Negate this, and if CEO get direct information then he/she is better informed than what is mentioned in the conclusion. Thus an answer choice.

e) some employees are more are concerned about truth than about the way they are perceived by their superiors -- not discussed and negating it doesn't weaken the conclusion. POE.

guys i find answer choice D as the most appropriate But i want to know the type of assumption it is and also how d can be the assumption.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 13

Re: no employee wants to be associated with bad news [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 22:08
This post received
KUDOS
GMATD11 wrote:

a) problems should be solved at levels in the management hierarchy at which they occur
b) employees should be rewarded for accurately reporting problems to their superiors
c) problems-solving ability is more important at higher levels than it is at lower levels of the management hierarchy
d) chief executives obtain information about problems at lower levels from the no source other than their subordinates
e) some employees are more are concerned about truth than about the way they are perceived by their superiors

D is a supporter Assumption..The conclusion brings in the new piece of information "CEO".. so Use this in the answer choices
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 39

Re: no employee wants to be associated with bad news [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 00:33
This post received
KUDOS
There are 2 kinds of assumptions which are explained in the book GMAT CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE by powerscore.

The 2 kinds are defender assumption and supporter assumption.

The problem is that negation test make clear the assumption.

in hard assumption questions in gmatprep va Manhantan, I normally see there are 2 choice, negation of both of which weakens the argument and can both be an assumption. However, only one is correct. Other choice is considered far. The example is question "bacteria on earth now" in gmatprep.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 1

Re: no employee wants to be associated with bad news [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 13:40
thangvietnam wrote:
There are 2 kinds of assumptions which are explained in the book GMAT CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE by powerscore.

The 2 kinds are defender assumption and supporter assumption.

The problem is that negation test make clear the assumption.

in hard assumption questions in gmatprep va Manhantan, I normally see there are 2 choice, negation of both of which weakens the argument and can both be an assumption. However, only one is correct. Other choice is considered far. The example is question "bacteria on earth now" in gmatprep.

Interesting...I pick D as well. The assumption is that the people at the top only gets their information from the bottom. Thus, if the bottom lies, the top doesn't get good intel.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 37

Re: no employee wants to be associated with bad news [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 17:29
+1 for D.

Crick
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [2] , given: 39

Re: no employee wants to be associated with bad news [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 04:33
This post received
KUDOS

The assumption here is a logic gap assumption.
An assumption is what is absolutely necessary for the conclusion to be true. In short, an assumption is a hidden premise that bridges the gap between the premises and the conclusion.
See how the premises jump to the conclusion here.

Premise 1. No employee wants to be associated with bad news in the eyes of the superior.
Premise 2. Hence, information about serious problems at lower levels is softened and distorted as it goes up the management ladder.
Conclusion: the CEO is less well informed about the problems at lower level than the sub-ordinates at that levels.

Premises say that information is softened by sub-ordinates. Conclusion says that the CEO is less well informed that sub-ordinates. Does it not assume that CEO is not informed by any other means than his sub-ordinates?

Try negating the choice D. The conclusion falls apart.
Negating is a good test on assumption questions.

Lets have a look at other choices.
A - problem solving is not discussed in the argument. though this seems like a real world solution, it is not in the scope of the argument and by no means is the assumption made to reason.
B - same as A. it is a solution. not an assumption
C - this is a trap choice! this is NOT an assumption. this might be true but this is not an assumption. even if problem solving ability were not more important at higher levels, this argument would remain valid.
D - correct answer as discussed above.
E - this assumption actually weakening the conclusion by challenging the premises. Remember, in CR assumption questions the validity of premises and conclusion cannot be challenged unless the question asks for a flaw in reasoning in which the assumption is put in a negative light!!

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [1] , given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Because no employee wants to be associated with bad news in [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 00:28
This post received
KUDOS

this is not about what needs to be done.. irrelevant... the issue is whether the chief executive know any less than his or her subordinates...

same as a... not the issue...

the issue is whether the chief executive is any less informed.. out...

bingo! if there are other sources then the conclusion is not solid...

if so, then the author shouldn't conclude that the chief executive will know less... if they are not that concerned about how they are percieved.. opposite... out

Impossible is nothing to God.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Because no employee wants to be associated with bad news in [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2014, 03:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Because no employee wants to be associated with bad news in   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2014, 03:22