Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 761 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General
Send PM
Re: Because of growing evidence that shrinking of forest cover [#permalink]
A. Because of growing evidence that shrinking of forest cover occurs continuously, rather than just in major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts are --indicates a continous activity, CORRECT
B. Because there is growing evidence that shrinking of forest cover has occurred continuously, rather than just in major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts are -- 'has occurred' indicates that the action is over, it is indeed ongoing and the erosion hasnt stopped, WRONG
C. Because growing evidence of shrinking of forest cover occurring continuously, rather than in just major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts are -- verb missing in the first part
D. Because of growing evidence as to shrinking of forest cover occurs continuously, rather than in just major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts will be -- WRONG, wordy and awkward
E. Because of the growing evidence for shrinking of forest cover occurs in a continuous fashion, rather than in just major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts -- need 'are' after experts
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross 2013
GPA: 3.85
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Send PM
[quote="gmatcracker2010"]94. Because of growing evidence that shrinking of forest cover occurs continuously, rather than just in major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts are now recommending a new proactive afforestation policy.
A. Because of growing evidence that shrinking of forest cover occurs continuously, rather than just in major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts are
B. Because there is growing evidence that shrinking of forest cover has occurred continuously, rather than just in major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts are no need for present perfect - we don`t need to point out the result here
C. Because growing evidence of shrinking of forest cover occurring continuously, rather than in just major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts are because of is needed here
D. Because of growing evidence as to shrinking of forest cover occurs continuously, rather than in just major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts will be no need for the future
E. Because of the growing evidence for shrinking of forest cover occurs in a continuous fashion, rather than in just major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts bad grammar

A
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
can someone explain why "has occured" is wrong in this context.

I thought shrinking of forest is an ongoing action which started in the past and is still going on and so we need "has occured" to indicate present perfect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Please post the source of the question.

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
It's clearly between A and B here (reasons mentioned above).

When there are general rules, evidences, facts - simple tense is used over perfect tenses. Hence A is the correct answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5422 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Please underline the sentence.

A seems correct.

Because of growing confidence [a noun phrase]....., experts are....

Growing - as a gerund, indicates a progressive action. So, continuously is redundant here.

gmatcracker2010 wrote:
94. Because of growing evidence that shrinking of forest cover occurs continuously, rather than just in major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts are now recommending a new proactive afforestation policy.
A. Because of growing evidence that shrinking of forest cover occurs continuously, rather than just in major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts are
B. Because there is growing evidence that shrinking of forest cover has occurred continuously, rather than just in major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts are
C. Because growing evidence of shrinking of forest cover occurring continuously, rather than in just major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts are
D. Because of growing evidence as to shrinking of forest cover occurs continuously, rather than in just major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts will be
E. Because of the growing evidence for shrinking of forest cover occurs in a continuous fashion, rather than in just major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts

OA is

I guess Because of is used for nouns and pronouns. In this case A cant be the ans, can soembody pl explain.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatcracker2010 wrote:
94. Because of growing evidence that shrinking of forest cover occurs continuously, rather than just in major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts are
seekmba wrote:

I thought shrinking of forest is an ongoing action which started in the past and is still going on and so we need "has occured" to indicate present perfect.
now recommending a new proactive afforestation policy.
B. Because there is growing evidence that shrinking of forest cover has occurred continuously, rather than just in major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts are
C. Because growing evidence of shrinking of forest cover occurring continuously, rather than in just major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts are
D. Because of growing evidence as to shrinking of forest cover occurs continuously, rather than in just major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts will be
E. Because of the growing evidence for shrinking of forest cover occurs in a continuous fashion, rather than in just major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts

OA is

I guess Because of is used for nouns and pronouns. In this case A cant be the ans, can soembody pl explain.

Good question seekmba, and I'll try to clarify the issue in a minute.

But first, regarding "because" versus "because of". The only reason "because of evidence" is better than "because there is evidence" is that the first is more succinct, i.e., it says exact same thing in few words-- this is an issue you should always look out for on the SC.

Second, why indeed is the action in the present simple (occurs) correct? You are right to picture an action that started in the past and continues into the present. But the intended meaning of the sentence is that the shrinking will also continue tomorrow-- it happens all the time, and, therefore, the present simple is required.

Look at the difference between the following 2 sentences:

I live in N.Y. (I live there all the time-- lived there before and will continue to be there tomorrow in all likelihood.)

I have lived in N.Y. -for 5 years/-since 2005/-before, and so I know how hard it can be. To use the present perfect (the combination of past and present-- have/has+v3) you need a time modifier that emphasized the point in past from which the action started or a word/phrase that shows present relevance but no specific time reference.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Thanks Sarai. This example is awesome.

I live in N.Y. (I live there all the time-- lived there before and will continue to be there tomorrow in all likelihood.)

SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
gmatcracker2010 wrote:
94. Because of growing evidence that shrinking of forest cover occurs continuously, rather than just in major events such as fires and tornadoes , experts are
seekmba wrote:

now recommending a new proactive afforestation policy.

OA is

Good question seekmba, and I'll try to clarify the issue in a minute.

But first, regarding "because" versus "because of". The only reason "because of evidence" is better than "because there is evidence" is that the first is more succinct, i.e., it says exact same thing in few words-- this is an issue you should always look out for on the SC.

Second, why indeed is the action in the present simple (occurs) correct? You are right to picture an action that started in the past and continues into the present. But the intended meaning of the sentence is that the shrinking will also continue tomorrow-- it happens all the time, and, therefore, the present simple is required.

Look at the difference between the following 2 sentences:

I have lived in N.Y. -for 5 years/-since 2005/-before, and so I know how hard it can be. To use the present perfect (the combination of past and present-- have/has+v3) you need a time modifier that emphasized the point in past from which the action started or a word/phrase that shows present relevance but no specific time reference.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
good example ... the choice between a and b wasnt that obvious to me before reading the thread
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NCC,SAE,YHIA
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: International Business
GPA: -
WE 1: 3 years international sales & mktg-projects
Send PM
ykaiim wrote:
Please underline the sentence.

A seems correct.

Because of growing confidence [a noun phrase]....., experts are....

Growing - as a gerund, indicates a progressive action. So, continuously is redundant here.

What about the above redundancy?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
gsothee wrote:
ykaiim wrote:

What about the above redundancy?

There's no redundancy. "Continuously" is describing the losing of the forests and "growing" is describing the amount of evidence.

Like forest area everywhere in the world is reducing every day, but last week American scientists found evidence in America, yesterday Canadian scientists found evidence in Canada, today Asian scientists found even more evidence in Asia. >> growing evidence

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts