Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 23:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because of less availability and greater demand for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Because of less availability and greater demand for [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2008, 10:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Because of less availability and greater demand for scientific research, platinum remains consistently expensive, like gold.

A) Because of less availability and greater demand for scientific research, platinum remains consistently expensive, like gold.

B) Because of less availability and increased demand for scientific research, platinum remains consistently expensive, like that of gold.

C) Because of decreased availability and increased demand in scientific research, platinum remains expensive, like gold.

D) Because of decreased availability and increased demand for scientific research, platinum remains expensive, like gold.

E) Because of decreased availability and greater demand in scientific research, platinum remains at a consistently high price, like that of gold.

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Platinum [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2008, 10:32
prasannar wrote:
Because of less availability and greater demand for scientific research, platinum remains consistently expensive, like gold.

A) Because of less availability and greater demand for scientific research, platinum remains consistently expensive, like gold.

B) Because of less availability and increased demand for scientific research, platinum remains consistently expensive, like that of gold.

C) Because of decreased availability and increased demand in scientific research, platinum remains expensive, like gold.

D) Because of decreased availability and increased demand for scientific research, platinum remains expensive, like gold.

E) Because of decreased availability and greater demand in scientific research, platinum remains at a consistently high price, like that of gold.

Between C an D, only diff is in & for.
platinum remains expensive because of demand in research
platinum remains expensive because of demand for research ( This sounds like the demand is for research not for platinum)
Plz correct me if wrong. One thing for sure, if the choices are this close in the real exam, man my statistics suggest I will screw up. :roll:
My answer C
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Platinum [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2008, 17:37
prasannar wrote:

I picked E.
Why can't "that" is E refers to price?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Platinum [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2008, 17:39
Demand in research v for research ??? I guess it could well be C ...

Last edited by bsd_lover on 27 Apr 2008, 19:26, edited 2 times in total.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Platinum [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2008, 19:10
saravalli wrote:

Saravalli, I think "consistently" correct modifies "Expensive". What do you think?

bkk145 wrote:

I also looking for the reference for "that", but I see "at a consistently high price" wordier than the straighward "expensive" in C and D.

Although I go for C and D, but I cannt convince mysetf that "like gold" is correct here! and What comparison here?

PARADOX :lol: :lol: :lol: I think this is Gmatprep. I can smell the Gmatprep way! 8-) 8-) 8-)
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Platinum [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2008, 19:21
C it is....

like that of gold..what of gold? in E it setsup a wrong comparison..
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Platinum [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2008, 19:34
Longman dictionary says:

1. [Singular, uncoutable]

demand for
Ex:
the demand for new housing
There is a huge demand for new cars.
the growing demand for pasta in the UK

in demand
He was a successful lecturer, much in demand.

2 [countable] a very firm request for something that you believe you have the right to get: demonstrations in support of the nationalists' demands
demand for
their demand for higher salaries

3 demands [plural] the difficult, annoying, or tiring things that you need to do, or a skill you need to have

demands of
the demands of modern life

demands on

The curriculum makes great demands on the teacher.
There are heavy demands on people's time these days.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Platinum [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2008, 21:16
IMO C.

we need "demand in scientific research" rather than "demand for scientific research".

Left with C & E.

In C "decreased availability and increased demand" are parallel. hence C looks best.

what is the OA?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Platinum [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2008, 09:37
I'm curious about the OA and the explanation behind it as well. Which is it?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Platinum [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 10:34
sondenso wrote:
saravalli wrote:

Saravalli, I think "consistently" correct modifies "Expensive". What do you think?

bkk145 wrote:

I also looking for the reference for "that", but I see "at a consistently high price" wordier than the straighward "expensive" in C and D.

Although I go for C and D, but I cannt convince mysetf that "like gold" is correct here! and What comparison here?

PARADOX :lol: :lol: :lol: I think this is Gmatprep. I can smell the Gmatprep way! 8-) 8-) 8-)

sorry for replying late.
I think A and B has to do with redundancy. 'remains expensive' is concise compared with ' remains consistently expensive'.
What say :?:
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Platinum [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 10:36
sondenso wrote:
Longman dictionary says:

1. [Singular, uncoutable]

demand for
Ex:
the demand for new housing
There is a huge demand for new cars.
the growing demand for pasta in the UK

in demand
He was a successful lecturer, much in demand.

2 [countable] a very firm request for something that you believe you have the right to get: demonstrations in support of the nationalists' demands
demand for
their demand for higher salaries

3 demands [plural] the difficult, annoying, or tiring things that you need to do, or a skill you need to have

demands of
the demands of modern life

demands on

The curriculum makes great demands on the teacher.
There are heavy demands on people's time these days.

Thanks a bunch !! :) :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Platinum [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 11:28
prasannar wrote:

C.

I eliminated A and B beacuse of 'less availability' -- 'platinum remains expensive because of less availability' did not sound right to me, should be 'decreased availability'. Also, 'consistently expensive' is unnecessarily wordy
E is also wordy - 'reamins expensive' is more concise than 'consistently high price'
Between C and D, 'demand in' seems more appropriate here.

OA?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Platinum [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 11:37
prasannar wrote:

I would say D.

I think that "demand in" is incorrect, thus I eliminated C and E. I also chose "decreased availability" over "less availability" and eliminated A & B.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Platinum [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 15:40
Found from an older thread:

The OA for this Q is C. This was my 1st Q on the MGMAT practice test. Needless to say, I got it wrong. Surprisingly, They put it at 300 – 500 difficulty level.
The OE is pretty much what you guys have suggested except for the following:

"Demand for scientific research" implies that the research is in demand, when in fact it is the platinum. "Demand in scientific research" would be better.
"remains consistently expensive" is redundant. "Remains expensive" would be enough to convey the idea.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Re: SC: Platinum   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2008, 15:40