Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because of the business community's uncertainity about the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 614 [2] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Because of the business community's uncertainity about the [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 22:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

26% (01:54) correct 74% (00:54) wrong based on 36 sessions
Because of the business community's uncertainity about the president's position in regard to the issue of the budget deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has occured.
a) same as underlined
b) on the deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has
c) regarding the budgetary deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates have
d) on the deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates have
e) regarding the deficit, an unanticpated rise in interest rates have

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: what should i prefer.....meaning or grammer [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 22:43
siddharthasingh wrote:
Because of the business community's uncertainity about the president's position in regard to the issue of the budget deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has occured.
a) same as underlined
c) regarding the budgetary deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates have

Sorry but I dint understand your question..

C D and E are out because of SVA rise ( singular) .....have (plural) ... incorrect

A and B
B is more concise. A unnecesarily adds the the prepositional phrase "in regard to..."
I also believe that you have a position on something - idiomatic expression and is "in regard to correct?
I think its "in regards to"
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

Re: what should i prefer.....meaning or grammer [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 23:28
I will also go for B but in this question the only issue was budget word negation in choice B but that's OK i believe bcoz correct grammar is preferred over wordiness which is in choice A.

I hope it helps

Soul!!!

siddharthasingh wrote:
a) same as underlined
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kelley,Tepper,Carlson,Kenan Flager,Broad
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: what should i prefer.....meaning or grammer [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 00:20
I chose A.
Reason being in B, "Budget" is omitted. Business community is uncertain specifically about president's position on Budget Deficit. Not on any other deficit.

What's the OA?

My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 614 [0], given: 62

Re: what should i prefer.....meaning or grammer [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 00:22
Expert's post
yeah the OA is B...
but as per the new pattern of SC in gmat, meaning is being preferred over grammer so cud the answer be A...
i am saying this because the word "Budget" has been omitted from B and this changes the meaning

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: RHCE , CCNA, MCSE and Now GMAT ;)
WE: Operations (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: what should i prefer.....meaning or grammer [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 01:07
sudhir18n wrote:
siddharthasingh wrote:
a) same as underlined

C D and E are out because of SVA rise ( singular) .....have (plural) ... incorrect

A and B
B is more concise. A unnecesarily adds the the prepositional phrase "in regard to..."
I also believe that you have a position on something - idiomatic expression and is "in regard to correct?

president's position on _____ deficit ? matters to us the more. If budget is omitted , intended meaning of original sentence is changed. hence OA should be B instead. This is what is preferred in new Gmat. Also " budget " is omitted here to make it concise . But Mgmat says -> grammar first ( meaning needs to be retained after grammar changes ) , meaning and then concision. So , even as per old gmat format, OA should be A.

1000 SC has many debatable answers and not so reliable and hence we simply cannot rely on OA.

I totally agree with jamifahad +1 Kudos to you.

siddharthasingh +1 for your insight on the question w.r.t the new SC changes in Gmat.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: what should i prefer.....meaning or grammer [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 01:36
siddharthasingh wrote:
a) same as underlined

I'll go for A.
I agree "in regard to the issue of the budget deficit" is a little awkward
But "on the deficit" clearly strips off necessary information. The essential word "budget" cannot be omitted.

This is a good question because nowadays in the GMAT there are more questions on meaning rather than on grammar.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 614 [0], given: 62

Re: what should i prefer.....meaning or grammer [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 02:58
Expert's post
hoogly wrote:
sudhir18n wrote:
siddharthasingh wrote:
a) same as underlined

A and B

president's position on _____ deficit ? matters to us the more. If budget is omitted , intended meaning of original sentence is changed. hence OA should be B instead. This is what is preferred in new Gmat. Also " budget " is omitted here to make it concise . But Mgmat says -> grammar first ( meaning needs to be retained after grammar changes ) , meaning and then concision. So , even as per old gmat format, OA should be A.

1000 SC has many debatable answers and not so reliable and hence we simply cannot rely on OA.

I totally agree with jamifahad +1 Kudos to you.

siddharthasingh +1 for your insight on the question w.r.t the new SC changes in Gmat.

if the word 'budget' is omitted then how can u still retain answer as B because deficit can be in terms of trade, national or financial...

Rules For Posting

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: what should i prefer.....meaning or grammer [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 17:54
+1 for B.

"position on " sounds right. A is not only awkward, but also does not convey the meaning/intent properly.

Crick
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: what should i prefer.....meaning or grammer [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 02:53
+1 B

Here rise is singular so has is the right option

A-->unnecessary words
B->concise

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 47

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 1

Re: what should i prefer.....meaning or grammer [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 12:23
Expert's post
Hey guys,
Good explanation above. I can't comment on this question because it's not one of ours or from a GMATPrep test, but I did want to comment on the distinction made above re: grammar versus meaning. My understanding of the changes (which have already been implemented to a certain degree) is not that meaning will TRUMP grammar, but that there will be more questions where there is *more than one* grammatically correct answer choice and we must rely on an understanding of the intended meaning to decide between those two grammatically valid options. The correct answer MUST still be grammatically sound.

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: what should i prefer.....meaning or grammer [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 08:56
A is too lengthy and wouldn't the correct term be 'in regardS'...?

C, D and E... all use the word "...have occured" the noun for that verb is 'Rise', not 'rates'. Therefore, it is singular and needs to be has and not have.

B is the only one with "has" that is concise and makes sense.

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Schools: Stern '14
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 28

Re: what should i prefer.....meaning or grammer [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 03:20
This post received
KUDOS
+1 for B... Clearly A is lengthy and ambiguous
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 16

Re: what should i prefer.....meaning or grammer [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 02:44
siddharthasingh wrote:
yeah the OA is B...
but as per the new pattern of SC in gmat, meaning is being preferred over grammer so cud the answer be A...
i am saying this because the word "Budget" has been omitted from B and this changes the meaning

Is this new pattern SC in effect..anyone given the gmat exam recently,please share ur views..
Re: what should i prefer.....meaning or grammer   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2011, 02:44