Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because of the recent developments in genetic replication

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
AGSM Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 31

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 00:36
@Marcab- found one, here it goes:

DARPA's Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle can fly as fast as 6X the speed of sound and can attack a target 2000 miles away in 30 minutes, its engine's thrust prevented from dissipating in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design.

A. its engine's thrust prevented from dissipating in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design.
B. preventing its engine's thrust in the stratosphere because of its conical unibody design.
C. preventing the dissipation of its engine's thrust in the stratosphere due to its conical unibody design.
D. prevented its engine's thrust from being dissipated in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design.
E. its engine's thrust is prevented from being dissipated in the stratosphere because of its conical unibody design.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 62

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 01:18
Because of the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction
(the next three clauses answer how scientists are able to create super humans)
1.by retaining the most efficient genes of the current generation
2.by altering the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases
3.by adding new genes that will introduce unique characteristics.

IMO A.

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 62

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 01:28
I don't see any problem with the usage of caused by in D and E, no doubt both the options have meaning +parallelism issues.

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 589 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 01:50
Expert's post
Vineetk wrote:

DARPA's Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle can fly as fast as 6X the speed of sound and can attack a target 2000 miles away in 30 minutes, its engine's thrust prevented from dissipating in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design.

A. its engine's thrust prevented from dissipating in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design.
B. preventing its engine's thrust in the stratosphere because of its conical unibody design.
C. preventing the dissipation of its engine's thrust in the stratosphere due to its conical unibody design.
D. prevented its engine's thrust from being dissipated in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design.
E. its engine's thrust is prevented from being dissipated in the stratosphere because of its conical unibody design.

Only A is correct. Logically and Grammatically.
A) its engine's thrust prevented from dissipating in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design. This clause basically describes HOW DFHT Vehicle can fly so fast. It is an absolute phrase and the question is well beyond 700 level.
B) preventing its engine's thrust in the stratosphere because of its conical unibody design. Since "preventing" is an verb+ing modifier, it implies that this clause is a consequence of the preceding clause. Illogical
C) SAME ISSUE. Didn't even care to read further. Saved the time. :)
D) prevented its engine's thrust from being dissipated in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design. Contains an verb-ed; implies that someone has prevented the subject of the preceding clause
E)its engine's thrust is prevented from being dissipated in the stratosphere because of its conical unibody design contains an independent clause and two independent clause can't co-exist without a conjunction.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

AGSM Thread Master

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 02:17
Alrighty.. it will be a fight for me to find a right question. Here is another one hope this can explain my point of view:

European leaders, who met until the early hours of Friday, agreed for signing, with the head of the world bank, an intergovernmental treaty that would require it to enforce stricter fiscal and financial discipline in their future budgets.

A. for signing, with the head of the world bank, an intergovernmental treaty that would require it
B. to sign an intergovernmental treaty with the head of the world bank who would require them
C. to sign an intergovernmental treaty with the head of the world bank, requiring them
D. to sign, with the help of world bank, an intergovernmental treaty that would require them
E. for signing an intergovernmental treaty with the head of the world bank that would require them

Last edited by Vineetk on 27 Nov 2012, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 02:28
Expert's post
Vineetk wrote:
Alrighty.. it will be a fight for me to find a right question. Here is another one hope this can explain my point of view:

European leader, who met until the early hours of Friday, agreed for signing, with the head of the world bank, an intergovernmental treaty that would require it to enforce stricter fiscal and financial discipline in their future budgets.

A. for signing, with the head of the world bank, an intergovernmental treaty that would require it
B. to sign an intergovernmental treaty with the head of the world bank who would require them
C. to sign an intergovernmental treaty with the head of the world bank, requiring them
D. to sign, with the help of world bank, an intergovernmental treaty that would require them
E. for signing an intergovernmental treaty with the head of the world bank that would require them

Are you sure about this question?
Seems that "them" has got no referrent in last 4 options. Assuming this is the correct question, A seems to be the best fit.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

AGSM Thread Master

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 02:59
Marcab wrote:
Vineetk wrote:

European leaders, who met until the early hours of Friday, agreed for signing, with the head of the world bank, an intergovernmental treaty that would require it to enforce stricter fiscal and financial discipline in their future budgets.

Seems that "them" has got no referrent in last 4 options. Assuming this is the correct question, A seems to be the best fit.

sorry its leaders not leader..

Have edited the question.

Last edited by Vineetk on 27 Nov 2012, 03:00, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 441 [0], given: 449

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 03:00
Marcab wrote:
Vineetk wrote:

European leader, who met until the early hours of Friday, agreed for signing, with the head of the world bank, an intergovernmental treaty that would require it to enforce stricter fiscal and financial discipline in their future budgets.

should be C.

and should be be European Leaders IMO.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1225

Kudos [?]: 3354 [0], given: 181

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 09:23
Expert's post
Hi Marcab,

Take a look at this question:
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased. (GMAT Prep)

A. the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
B. the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
C. the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
D. their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
E. their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have

You can solve this question only if you understand the intended meaning. Hence, it is very important to understand what the author wants to communicate. SC is all about how well we interpret the information given and how clearly we can communicate the same.

I’m sure, you must have heard about this April announcement by the GMAC that now on they will also give stress to the meaning rather than just the grammar. At e-gmat, right from our inception, we have always approached SC problems from meaning standpoint.

The following sentence is just an example of that:

Because of the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction, retaining the most efficient genes of the current generation, altering the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases, and adding new genes that will introduce unique characteristics.

This sentence says that modern developments have enabled scientists to create super humans. Now, from our common knowledge, we know that “genes” are responsible for passing genetic traits from one generation to another. Hence, is only makes sense to say that scientists are able to create super humans through genetic reproduction by retaining…, altering… and adding…

Choice C is certainly a grammatically correct answer choice but it changes the meaning of the sentence by making every event independent of each other. Even in many official questions, we do get grammatically correct choice but they stand incorrect if the entities in the list fail to convey logical meaning. We have also written an article named “Parallelism: Grammar Vs. Logic”. Following is the link for the article:
parallelism-grammar-vs-logic-141946.html

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 09:51
Expert's post
Hii Shraddha.
Many thanks for intervening.
The example that you gave did not satisfied me in that it didn't contain any other option that was LOGICALLY CORRECT; some answer choices were well interested in increasing the electronic devices. Its entirely illogical.
But the problem, which we are discussing in this thread is different one. C is logically also correct.
So if there are two logically correct choices, then how can we make sure the intended meaning of the author.

Rules For Posting

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 10:18
Expert's post
Thanks Kyle and Shraddha.
I got the point now and many thanks for intervening.

Rules For Posting

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 486

Kudos [?]: 1980 [0], given: 29

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 10:32
Expert's post
gmatbull wrote:
Because of the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction, retaining the most efficient genes of the current generation, altering the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases, and adding new genes that will introduce unique characteristics.
A:....
B: Because the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction, retaining the most efficient genes of the current generation, altering of the genes that is responsible for currently known major diseases, and addition of
C: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction, retaining the most efficient genes of the current generation, alter the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases, and add
D: Due to the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction, retain the most efficient genes of the current generation, alter the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases, and add
E: Due to the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction and retain the most efficient genes of the current generation, altering the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases, and add

I am responding to a pm from Marcab. I'm happy to help. :-)

There's already a lot of discussion on this page --- I hope to contribute more clarity than noise to this discussion.

First of all, I am not familiar with the source e-GMAT, but this question has me suspicious. On the real GMAT, the splits revolve largely around grammar mistakes, and many also involve awkwardness vs concision. Once in a while, there is also some logic to reason out, but often those same answer choices can be eliminated purely on logical grounds. Here, we arguably have four grammatically correct answer choices ---- (B) is clearly flawed, and we have so sort through the logical implications of each to determine a correct answer. I feel relatively confident in saying: the real GMAT is not going to ask you to do this. This question takes the "logic" thing completely overboard. This takes something implicit in certain answer choices in certain SC questions in the OG and blows it up, essentially making it the sole focus of this question. I don't know how representative this one question is, but it does not indicate a particularly keen sense of GMAC's priorities. It often astounds me how many practice SC question seem written by folks who have no clue about what GMAC actually considers important.

So, to the logic of this question. First, a moment on (B), which is wrong --- this is a very interesting mistake. Two easily confused idioms:
i) "because" ---- this word is a subordinate conjunction, and must be followed by a full [noun] + [verb] clause
ii) "because of" --- this phrase is a preposition, and therefore is followed only by a noun.
Thus,
this phrase, "because of the recent developments", is a perfectly valid preposition phrase that could be part of a larger sentence, but
this phrase, "because the recent developments", is, by itself, incomplete ---- it's begging for a verb that doesn't arrive. This is exactly the mistake that (B) makes.

As for the other four, I don't see any clear grammatical mistake. The "mistakes" all revolve around the logical implication of various configurations of the parallelism. Keeping faithful, as much as possible, the logic of the original prompt is usually a good guide, but again, the real GMAT not going to ask you to sort through a logical thicket like this.

In this particular case, I think the subject matter of this sentence invites us to step back a bit and simply compare the elements on logical grounds. Basically, we have these four elements
[1] create super humans through genetic reproduction
[2] retain the most efficient genes of the current generation
[3] alter the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases
[4] add new genes that will introduce unique characteristics
and those four verbs are changed to various combinations of infinitive & participles, depending on the parallelism scheme chosen.

What I notice about these is, to quote the time-worn Sesame Street phrase: one of these things is not like the others.

Phrase [1] leaps out as headline news, a big ticket item ----- imagine the headlines "scientists create super human through genetic reproduction" --- that's gigantic font front & center of page 1 of the newspaper, or the banner story on CNN. By comparison, try any of the others ---- "scientists retain the most efficient genes of the current generation" --- yawn! That's the headline of a special feature article buried somewhere later in the paper. Do you see what I mean? Phrase [1] is mythic in its stature, and the other three are inherently the stuff of detail work. In particular, phrases [2] - [4] are all about actions done to genes, so this more or less demands that those three are in parallel with each other. The fact that [1] is a statement of such a different level of import means that [1] can't be in parallel with the other three. Therefore we need the structure [1] comma then [2]//[3]//[4]. Only (A) gives us that particular structure, so that's the only possible answer.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 11:02
Thanks to everyone; it was such an interesting discussion.
@Kyle,
I indicated the OA (A) in a previous post on page1 of this thread.

Marcab: it was nice the objective criticism brought quite a good number of opinions, and they were very helpful.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 11:48
Expert's post
@gmatbull
Keep posting such questions and unless I get satisfied with with the entire SC question, I will keep criticizing the OAs.
This club would have not have been of such quality without members such as Kyle, to whom I raised millions of questions, Shraddha and Mike.

And since I have always been faithful to MGMAT, here's +1 to you Kyle.

Rules For Posting

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 52

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 07:07
Vineetk wrote:

Wat's the answer of the given question??I chose B option as its nswer,,Plz Reply...
AGSM Thread Master

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 07:12
Maryam787 wrote:
Vineetk wrote:

Wat's the answer of the given question??I chose B option as its nswer,,Plz Reply...

The correct answer is A as explained by Marcab..
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 486

Kudos [?]: 1980 [0], given: 29

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 09:45
Expert's post
Maryam787 wrote:
Vineetk wrote:

What's the answer of the given question?? I chose B option as its answer,,Plz Reply...

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

The answer is A. The grammatical structure we have here is something called an absolute phrase --- an absolute phrase has the structure [noun] + [participle], and it stands apart from the rest of the sentence. It often describes a condition or situation that accompanies the main action of the sentence. Here are some example sentences, with the absolute phrase in green.

1) Stocks falling, I decided to invest in gold.

2) The Cardinals defeated in the NCLS, the SF Giants went on to play Detroit in the World Series.

3) The debate settled, they decided to go out to dinner.

4) All things being equal, she will arrive after lunch.

I must admit, I don't think that I have seen a single absolute phrase in any SC question in the OG, so I am not sure whether GMAC would test this particular grammatical feature. Technically, it is grammatically correct, but it may not be a concept GMAC chooses to pursue in SC questions.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 10:02
Expert's post
Hii Mike.
If you wish, I can post the official questions that tested the concept of Absolute Phrases.
I don't remember them very clearly but if you search for those questions with the words typed as below, you will definitely come across those.
They were:
#-1)With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom.

(A) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with

(B) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, its

(C) Europa has long been considered as far too cold to support life and has

(D) Europa, long considered as far too cold to support life, and its

(E) Europa, long considered to be far too cold to support life, and to have

#-2)Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.
1)same as underlined
2)prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by
3) its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by
4) its acoustic energy prevented from being dissipated as a result of
5) preventing its acoustic energy from dissipating by

#-3)Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Transvaal to photograph the art of Ndebele women, whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house.
(A) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house
(B) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography, and their style is varying among women and houses
(C) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography, and they are in styles that vary from woman to woman and house to house
(D) with murals brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography, and their style varies among women and houses
(E) with murals that are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries.

Rules For Posting

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 52

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 05:41
mikemcgarry wrote:
Maryam787 wrote:
Vineetk wrote:

What's the answer of the given question?? I chose B option as its answer,,Plz Reply...

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

The answer is A. The grammatical structure we have here is something called an absolute phrase --- an absolute phrase has the structure [noun] + [participle], and it stands apart from the rest of the sentence. It often describes a condition or situation that accompanies the main action of the sentence. Here are some example sentences, with the absolute phrase in green.

1) Stocks falling, I decided to invest in gold.

2) The Cardinals defeated in the NCLS, the SF Giants went on to play Detroit in the World Series.

3) The debate settled, they decided to go out to dinner.

4) All things being equal, she will arrive after lunch.

I must admit, I don't think that I have seen a single absolute phrase in any SC question in the OG, so I am not sure whether GMAC would test this particular grammatical feature. Technically, it is grammatically correct, but it may not be a concept GMAC chooses to pursue in SC questions.

Thanks Mike , I got the point,,,
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1225

Kudos [?]: 3354 [0], given: 181

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 12:52
Expert's post
Hello everyone,

The detailed solution of question has been posted in the following thread:

markers-in-parallelism-139076.html

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Re: Because of the recent developments in genetic replication   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2013, 12:52