Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [60]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [13]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [10]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [7]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore, Inc., must [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
talk2pk wrote:
Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore, Inc., must increase productivity, 10 percent over the course of the next two years, or it will certainly go bankrupt. In fact, however, Quore’s production structure is such that if a 10 percent productivity increase is possible, then a 20 percent increase is attainable.
If the statements above are true, which one of the following must on the basis of them also be true?

(A) It is only Quore’s production structure that makes it possible for Quore to survive the transformation of the market.
(B) Quore will not go bankrupt if it achieves a productivity increase of 20 percent over the next two years.
(C) If the market had not been transformed, Quore would have required no productivity increase in order to avoid bankruptcy.
(D) Because of the transformation of the market, Quore will achieve a productivity increase of 10 percent over the next two years.
(E) If a 20 percent productivity increase is unattainable for Quore, then it must go bankrupt.

Please explain ur answers.

The best way to do this one is to diagram everything you're given in the problem

They tell you that if it doesn't increase by 10%, it will go bankrupt. this is diagrammed as:

(1) if (not)10% -> then bankrupt.

next it says if 10% is possible, then 20% is possible. this is diagrammed as:

10% possible -> then 20% possible

next, you should always look at the converse of statements, as that will usually be the key to unlocking the problem. the converse of this statement is:

(2) if 20% not possible -> 10% not possible

now you have everything you need. if you add equation 1 to the end of equation 2, you will see that E is true:

if 20% not possible ->10 % not possible -> then bankrupt

therefore, E is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore, Inc., must [#permalink]
I myself choose B,

but after reading your explanation; If I would have thought in reverse direction then I would have chosen E;

In b/w B and E. I'll go with B
because both of these stmts contradict each other.

I think bad question ...

Source please?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Re: Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore, Inc., must [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
It's (E) by contrapositive. You have the implication "If a 10% increase is possible, then a 20% increase is possible." The contrapositive of that is "If a 20% increase isn't possible, then a 10% increase isn't possible." And we know as a given fact that if a 10% increase isn't possible, then the company is going bankrupt. Hence, (E).

(B) is wrong because it's an inverse relationship, which is not equivalent. A -> B does not mean that ~A -> ~B. Nowhere in the original statement does it say that the company WILL DEFINITELY NOT GO BANKRUPT if they improve 10%, or 20%, or even 150%. You just know that they WILL definitely go bankrupt if they don't improve 10%.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore, Inc., must increase productivity, 10 percent over the course of the next two years, or it will certainly go bankrupt. In fact, however, Quore’s production structure is such that if a 10 percent productivity increase is possible, then a 20 percent increase is attainable.
If the statements above are true, which one of the following must on the basis of them also be true?
It is important to note in the passage that if 20 % is attainable then 10% if easily attainable. Passage quote -"Quore’s production structure is such that if a 10 percent productivity increase is possible, then a 20 percent increase is attainable. But is 10% cannot be attained then 20% cannot be attained too.
(A) It is only Quore’s production structure that makes it possible for Quore to survive the transformation of the market. Nothing given to support this
(B) Quore will not go bankrupt if it achieves a productivity increase of 20 percent over the next two years. Just a restatement of the passage information. No inference
(C) If the market had not been transformed, Quore would have required no productivity increase in order to avoid bankruptcy.This has nothing to do with the question asked
(D) Because of the transformation of the market, Quore will achieve a productivity increase of 10 percent over the next two years. No data supports this prediction.
(E) If a 20 percent productivity increase is unattainable for Quore, then it must go bankrupt.
the passage says Quore’s production structure is such that if a 10 percent productivity increase is possible, then a 20 percent increase is attainable. so if I cannot get 20 that means I cannot get 10 simply because if I get 10 I can get 20.
The explanation given in one of the gmat thread's is:
they tell you that if it doesn't increase by 10%, it will go bankrupt. this is diagrammed as:
(1) if (not)10% -> then bankrupt.
next it says if 10% is possible, then 20% is possible. this is diagrammed as:
10% possible -> then 20% possible
next, you should always look at the converse of statements, as that will usually be the key to unlocking the problem. the converse of this statement is:

(2) if 20% not possible -> 10% not possible
now you have everything you need. if you add equation 1 to the end of equation 2, you will see that E is true:
if 20% not possible ->10 % not possible -> then bankrupt
therefore, E is the answer

But how can we deduce Point 2? if 20% is not possible then 10% may/ may not be possible !

E is relevant and survives POE
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
can someone please explain why C is wrong?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [4]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
veenu08 wrote:
can someone please explain why C is wrong?

Hi veenu08.

C has a very common logical fallacy.

The logical fallacy is:
Fact: X happens ==> Y MUST happen
Conclusion: X does not happen ==> Y MUST NOT happen

This is wrong conclusion. Why?
Because X is only one of many factors that cause Y happen. If X does not happen, other factor may cause Y happen.

For example:
Fact: I have a flu ==> I MUST stay at home to avoid further health problem
Conclusion: I don't have a flu ==> I MUST NOT stay at home to avoid further health problem

Is the conclusion correct? Nope, because flu is only one of many factors that causes health problem. Even I don't have a flu, but doctor recommends me that "I MUST stay at home" because there's a seasonal flu and many people are infected.

Back to the question.
market transformation happens ==> Quore MUST increase productivity to avoid bankruptcy
market transformation DOES NOT happen ==> Quore MUST NOT increase productivity to avoid bankruptcy
==> WRONG because market transformation IS NOT THE ONLY FACTOR. For example: Quore did not increase productivity, but the company still went to bankruptcy because of aggressive competition or its customer went to bankruptcy and did not make payment on time, blah blah......

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
Because of the recent transformation of the market, Quore Inc. must increase productivity 10 percent over the course of the next two years or it will certainly go bankrupt. In fact, however, Quore's production structure is such that if a 10 percent productivity increase is possible, then a 20 percent increase is attainable. If the statements above are true, which one of the following must on the basis of them also be true?

(A) It is only Quore's production structure that makes it possible for Quore to survive the transformation of the market.

(B) Quore will not go bankrupt if it achieves a productivity increase of 20 percent over the next two years.

(C) If the market had not been transformed, Quore would have required no productivity increase in order to avoid bankruptcy.

(D) Because of the transformation of the market Quore will achieve a productivity increase of 10 percent over the next two years.

could not understand how option E is correct . E is same as saying that ' if i can lift 50kgs, then i can also lift 100kgs, but if i cannot lift 100kgs, then i cannot lift 50 kgs too .'
can someone please explain.

Originally posted by Lucky2783 on 06 Apr 2015, 01:26.
Last edited by Lucky2783 on 06 Apr 2015, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
It is "must also be true" qq. So, we have to actually find an option which is nothing but echoing the conclusion of the passage.

(A) It is only Quore's production structure that makes it possible for Quore to survive the transformation of the market.
- Nowhere anything similar mentioned in the passage.

- It means if quore achieves a productivity of 10 percent then it will go bankrupt. Hence this statement too is not the correct one.

- Market need not to take any action for quora. Irrelevant.

(D) Because of the transformation of the market Quore will achieve a productivity increase of 10 percent over the next two years.
- Nowhere in the passage, mentioned anything similar to this.

- 20 percent productivity will be attainable by itself as soon as Quore attains 10 percent and being unattainable for 10 percent means Quore will go bankrupt. Hence correct.

Experts can also add in case I am missing/misinterpreting something important.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Changing market trend--->Need in prod increase of 10%(20% not necessary)--->avoid bankrupt.
If 10% attained 20% is possible.

No Info of only structure is reason.. Out

Cant say that. 10% will evade bankruption. But 20% need not because no info abt it. What if excess prod leads to bankruption?

Yes. Bankruption is a result of <10% increase in production need that is inturn a result of market transformation. just like no demand, no need..

Not given in passage..

We cant say that. Premise says that if 10% is possible 20% is attainable. that means if 10% is possible WITH EXTRA EFFORTS 20% is possible(means attainable).. But I dont know how this became an answer.. Please help...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Kudos
I guess since it is must be true question , we hv to use no information outside the stem And assume all that given is 100% true . Be it 'sun rise from south or dog hunt the sparrow in sky' .
with that in mind , if 20% is unattainable then we shld ask that why it is unattainable? .as per stem 20% will be unattainable only when 10% is not achieved, implying bankruptcy.

Thats the only reasoning i could think of.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
The logical fallacy is:
Fact: X happens ==> Y MUST happen
Conclusion: X does not happen ==> Y MUST NOT happen
This is wrong conclusion. Why?
Because X is only one of many factors that cause Y happen. If X does not happen, other factor may cause Y happen.

For example:
Fact: I have a flu ==> I MUST stay at home to avoid further health problem
Conclusion: I don't have a flu ==> I MUST NOT stay at home to avoid further health problem

Is the conclusion correct? Nope, because flu is only one of many factors that causes health problem. Even I don't have a flu, but doctor recommends me that "I MUST stay at home" because there's a seasonal flu and many people are infected.

Back to the question.
market transformation happens ==> Quore MUST increase productivity to avoid bankruptcy
market transformation DOES NOT happen ==> Quore MUST NOT increase productivity to avoid bankruptcy
==> WRONG because market transformation IS NOT THE ONLY FACTOR. For example: Quore did not increase productivity, but the company still went to bankruptcy because of aggressive competition or its customer went to bankruptcy and did not make payment on time, blah blah......

Hope it helps.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
sananoor wrote:

(A) It is only Quore’s production structure that makes it possible for Quore to survive the transformation of the market.
(D) Because of the transformation of the market, Quore will achieve a productivity increase of 10 percent over the next two years.

Good one !!

If 20% production is possible ====> 10% production is possible

If 20% production is not possible ====> 10% production is not possible====> Bankruptcy.

None but option (E) correctly matches our understanding, hence this is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I dont see why C) is incorrect. The question states that because of market transformation, Quora must increase productivity.
It doesnt state any other reason why productivity had to be increased, so we cant assume that Quora had to increase productivity otherwise.

I understand why E) is also a possible answer, but I think C) works too.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM