Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 18:21
Hi All,

In the below sentence, correct version is below

Because of the Sun. which is 400 times larger than the Moon. but
also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the
Moon have the same apparent size ni the sky.

The Sun, which is 4oo times targer than the Moon, is also
4oo tImes farther away from Earth, so the sun and the
Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

My question is

when is it ok to use so? and how is use of so justified here?

Could someone give some example where clauses are introduced by "so"

Thanks
Ravi
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1595 [0], given: 249

Re: Use of "so" [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 22:32
Expert's post
Although looking innocuously harmless, these questions are deep and tricky. Let us take the first one.

1. Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, But also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky. ----- This is a complex sentence with a sub - clause and a main clause. The best tool to connect a sub clause with the main clause is the comma; a coordinating conjunction can be used only when connecting two ICs. Therefore, the first sentence is grammatically wrong.

2. The Sun, which is 4oo times larger than the Moon, is also 4oo times farther away from Earth, so the sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky. ------ This is a tougher sentence to comment. Apparently, there is nothing grammatically wrong in this sentence and the word so, a coordinating conjunction is rightly used to connect 2 ICs in a compound sentence as this. However, it is only the usage that is a problem. There is a custom in formal English writing that the word so is not used to indicate either a purpose of effect.

For example, it is not correct to say, -----I prepared hard for my GMAT, and so I could cross 700. ----Here, you are doing something with a purpose in mind. That purpose cannot be conjugated by a so. You must say, I prepared hard for my GMAT in order to or simply to cross 700

Similarly, it is not correct to use so to connect a result or an effect.
Ex: I prepared hard for GMAT so I crossed 700 – this is wrong because you are trying to tie the result of a cause in the second part. It is proper to say that I prepared hard for GMAT and therefore I crossed 700.

The second sentence falls in this category. The sun and the moon appearing of about the same size is the result of some factor. It is not right to connect that result with a so. You must say,

The Sun, which is 4oo times larger than the Moon, is also 4oo times farther away from Earth, and therefore, the sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky

So is often used to describe the extant of some thing. We say, he is so impressive and is selected in any interview first time. We can connect two ICS, which do not exhibit purpose of result by a so, as in ---The child was unbearably heavy, so we couldn’t physically carry him.--

Some sentences are introduced with so, when we need to emphasize something. Ex;

1. So innocent were the villagers that, the Insurance Agent got a policy from each one, by promising rains next month.
2. So adamant is my newly married son that he refuses to heed to any one other than his wife.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 18

Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 18:16
whats wrong with E, please explain

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 282

Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 11:13
400 times larger than the moon and 400 times farther away from earth, the sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the moon's.
the above is option D of the same question. I feel the use of the possessive Moon's is appropriate but the explanation says that the possessive Moon's is ambiguous.

@souvik or @marcab. Can you explain when a possessive can be used and when it cannot be??

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2013, 11:13