Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 02:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 27

Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink] New post 19 May 2013, 12:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:00) correct 51% (00:53) wrong based on 225 sessions
Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

A. Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.
B. The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.
C. The Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky because the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, and also 400 times farther away from Earth.
D. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and 400 times farther away from Earth, the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's.
E. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun in the sky has the same apparent size as the Moon.

Can someone please answer this question and provide detailed explanation.I am not satisfied with the explanation provided by GMAT Prep question pack.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 19 May 2013, 13:20, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1592 [1] , given: 249

Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink] New post 19 May 2013, 18:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

The mystery of this thread can be unraveled by going through the motions of sentence syntax and one of the general roles of coordinated conjunctions in sentence formation.

A. Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky. ---- This is a simple sentence introduced by the prepositional modifier ‘because of”. Please note a coordinated conjunction such as ‘so’ can connect equal and parallel items on either side of it. Thus one can connect tow ICs but not a modifier and an IC, as done in this case. Wrong

B. The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky. --- This is the kind of conjugation a coordinated conjunction is capable; ignoring the modifying relative clause for the time being, you will find that the connector ‘so’ connects to ICs. Correct choice

C. The Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky because the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, and also 400 times farther away from Earth. --- The subordinate clause starting with ‘“because the Sun,” has no tangible verb for the subject the Sun and hence is a fragment. Wrong (This answers what is wrong with C)

D. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and 400 times farther away from Earth, the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's.—The Sun per se is being compared with the moon’s something; may be the intention is to compare the moon’s size but still it is a wrong comparison

E. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun in the sky has the same apparent size as the Moon. --- A coordinated conjunction cannot connect a modifier as done in this case. Wrong

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 2

Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 04:53
This post received
KUDOS
arkle wrote:
@Subash I looked at that explanation and after that only I posted this question here.That thread has no explanation for C,D,E options.I am very much interested in Why option C is wrong.Thanks!

C: Couple of issues:
1. The last and is not matching with anything. The structure seems to be: …because the sun…and also 400 times..!! sun and 400 times clearly have no correlation
2. Perhaps if his last and was to be replaced with is, C might have been an option worth consideration.

D: Phenomenal meaning issue. The original sentence is clearly intended to convey that the reason why the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky is because sun is 400 times farther away from Earth. In D, this causal relationship is not coming out at all.

E: Illogically comparing the size of a planetary body (sun) with another planetary body (moon). That is illogical comparison. We can compare size with size; we can compare a planetary body with another planetary body; but we can’t just mix and match.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 12

Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 15:52
This post received
KUDOS
arkle wrote:

A. Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.
B. The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.
C. The Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky because the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, and also 400 times farther away from Earth.
D. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and 400 times farther away from Earth, the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's.
E. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun in the sky has the same apparent size as the Moon.

Can someone please answer this question and provide detailed explanation.I am not satisfied with the explanation provided by GMAT Prep question pack.

It's a hidden comparison question. A,B and E are clearly out because of misplacement of modifiers. Now, i between D and B, B wins because in D Moon is in possessive form and the sentence compares the apparent size of Sun with the Moon's size. Incorrect.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 289 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink] New post 19 May 2013, 15:13
The correct answer is B. You can see the detailed explanations here:

because-of-the-sun-which-is-400-times-larger-than-the-moon-132921.html?fl=similar

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 27

Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink] New post 19 May 2013, 15:38
@Subash I looked at that explanation and after that only I posted this question here.That thread has no explanation for C,D,E options.I am very much interested in Why option C is wrong.Thanks!
Intern
Intern
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 07:30
I got confused between B and D and finally went in for D coz funnily I found it to make better sense :(
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 27

Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 10:36
Thanks guys much appreciated. I checked the usual GMAT pitfalls of "which" should modify the nearest noun "the sun".In the process totally ignored "Because" which precedes "the sun".
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 09:37
Since I was confused between (B) and (D), I want to clear below query.

As mentioned by Ashish, option (D) is wrong because it doesn't maintain the causal relationship per the sentence.

As mentioned by OE, option (D) is wrong because the possessive form of moon i.e. Moon's introduces ambiguity.

In my opinion also, option (D) shouldn't be wrong for the ambiguity as mentioned in OE, but it should be wrong as mentioned by Ashish.

So, my query...

Is using possessive form of a noun for comparison always wrong on GMAT?

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 480 Q31 V24
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 45

Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2014, 22:12
Just to add on to daagh's explanation.

In the given sentence...

The sun and the moon have the same apparent size in the sky -> Main clause
and the other part is the dependent or subordinate clause.

If the Main clause is followed by a subordinate cluase, we have to use a period, a semicolon or one of the following coordinating conjunction.

For
And
Nor
But
Or
Yet
So

And these coordinating conjunction should be followed by a comma.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 2

Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 20:13
DesiGmat wrote:
If the Main clause is followed by a subordinate cluase, we have to use a period, a semicolon or one of the following coordinating conjunction.

Perhaps you meant to say: If the Main clause is followed by another main clause

DesiGmat wrote:
And these coordinating conjunction should be followed by a comma.

Perhaps you meant to say: And these coordinating conjunction should be preceded by a comma

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 20:26
arkle wrote:

I think the first part:the subject are SUN AND EARTH,but the second part the subject is SUN which is omitted
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 11-08-2014
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 239

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 23:07
troy2014 wrote:
arkle wrote:

I think the first part:the subject are SUN AND EARTH,but the second part the subject is SUN which is omitted

HELLO GUYS..

IMO B is correct..

I TOOK 3 MINS TO ANSWER..as per firsrt sentence,if observed carefully,it says

although sun is 400 timer larger than sun,its also 400 times away from the sun and hence they both look the same..

option D is gramatically correct but doesnt appropriately specify this meaning..

option B,though a bit awkward,is gramatically correct as 2 indep. clauses are joined by SO which is among the fanboys and provides the intended meaning..

HOPE IT HELPS :)

THE WORD IMPOSSIBLE ITSELF SAYS : I-M-POSSIBLE...SO,DREAM THE IMPOSSIBLE-AND DO THE INCREDIBLE

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1737

CAT Tests
Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2014, 09:33
My reasoning:
A: Wrong; sentence doesn't make sense when "which...Moon" is removed.
C: Wrong; "also...Earth" is a fragment
E: Wrong; misplaced modifier "Four...Earth"
D: Wrong; Sun should be compared to "Moon" not the "Moon's size"
B: Correct; "so" implies "therefore".

MGMAT Explanation:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pre ... 16284.html
Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon,   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2014, 09:33