Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2007, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people now using their mobile phones to make calls across a wide region at night and on weekends, when numerous wireless companies provide unlimited airtime for a relatively small monthly fee.

A. Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile
phones are increasingly common, many people
B. As the cost of wireless service plummeted in the last year and as mobile phones became increasingly common, many people
C. In the last year, with the cost of wireless service plummeting, and mobile phones have become increasingly common, there are many people
D. With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year and mobile phones becoming increasingly common, many people are
E. While the cost of wireless service has plummeted in the last year and mobile
phones are increasingly common, many people are
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson School of Mgmt (FEMBA Class of 2013)
WE 1: 7.5 years in Engg. Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2007, 13:15
This post received
KUDOS
I like D.
plummeting and becoming - parallelism. Here two reasons are cited for why people are using mobile phone...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 05:25
OA is (E)..........Can anyone explain??
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 06:49
This post received
KUDOS
sidbidus wrote:
OA is (E)..........Can anyone explain??

Simple explanation the OA is wrong. The verbal 'sets' are notorious for having incorrect answers.

Correct answer is D. Reasons: (1) sentence needs a verb i.e. "are" (2) plummeting and becoming - parallelism.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 183 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Set 9 Q 3 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 23:07
This post received
KUDOS
sidbidus wrote:
Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people now using their mobile phones to make calls across a wide region at night and on weekends, when numerous wireless companies provide unlimited airtime for a relatively small monthly fee.

phones are increasingly common, many people
B. As the cost of wireless service plummeted in the last year and as mobile phones became increasingly common, many people
C. In the last year, with the cost of wireless service plummeting, and mobile phones have become increasingly common, there are many people
D. With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year and mobile phones becoming increasingly common, many people are
phones are increasingly common, many people are

A: many people... needs are
B: needs are, mobile phones became is incorrect.
C: mobile phones have become increasingly common... wordy and incorrect
E: While is inappropriate here.

While dogs are stinkier than cats, dogs love better than cats do. The sentence above does not use while in the right context. There is no comparison.

D is the correct answer. Yes the OA is incorrect.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 06:49
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry, I beg to differ... for me the answer is E

Why people are now using mobile phones? its because the prices has plummeted in the last year and not was plummeting in the last year.... if it was plummeting last year than people would have started using last year itself....

so we have B and E as our choices... between them E is correct....

it should be people are using and not people using.. also past perfect (has) is correctly used

Amardeep
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 07:17
Quote:

E. While the cost of wireless service has plummeted in the last year and mobile phones are increasingly common, many people are

First of all E is not even parallel. What kind of parallelism is has plummeted and are increasingly?

Second, while is used to show contrast or comparison. What comparison or contrast is this sentence showing?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 08:05
Well, gluon

"While" is not only use for comparison or contrast as mentioned in element of style, but also can be used differently depending upon the situations.

For e.g. While they were playing cards, somebody broke into the house.

this can be rephrased as sombody broke into the house, when they were playing cards.

Both the above sentences are correct and while is not comparing anything.

As far as parallelism goes, its not necessary to have -ly vs. -ly and -ing vs -ing to make the sentence look parallel.... in my opinion sentence should make sense to the reader.... in the above question non of the options has use -ing vs -ing as a criterion for parallelism.

underline sentence shows two situations i.e. cost of wireless service has plummeted last year, and mobile phones are increasingly common, because of which people are using mobile phones......

I will still go with E

Amardeep
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 09:09
Good point about the while part there... my apologies.

Quote:
As far as parallelism goes, its not necessary to have -ly vs. -ly and -ing vs -ing to make the sentence look parallel.... in my opinion sentence should make sense to the reader.... in the above question non of the options has use -ing vs -ing as a criterion for parallelism.

We are not using -ing vs -ing OR the -ly vs -ly criterion for parallelism here. We are using "noun phrase - present participle" i.e. cost of wireless service plummeting vs "noun phrase - present participle" i.e. mobile phones becoming criterion. That is the parallelism we are talking about.

Quote:
E. While the cost of wireless service has plummeted in the last year and mobile phones are increasingly common, many people are

Also, EITHER the cost of wireless service has plummeted since last year OR the cost of wireless service plummeted in the last year. You cannot use present perfect to talk about things that happened in the past.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 17:44
Good explanation though I have a different intake...

In D, saying that mobile phones are becoming increasingly common changes the meaning of the sentence.... here mobile phones are not becoming increasingly common but are already common.

Logic is Because to two different reasons people are now using mobile phone ...

one of the reasons is that the cost of services has plummeted in the last year.... please note has plummeted in the last year is correct use of grammer.

another reason is that mobile phones are increasingly common....

also its not logical to say that the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year, many people are now use mobile phones...

This question is also explained in the link below: I couldnt understand as its in korean..www.mba.co.kr/html/academy/academy_06_view.jsp?txtUqnaGrop=oiselet101&txtUqnaCode=ACD20060313130627345 - 29k -
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 19:31
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
This question is also explained in the link below: I couldnt understand as its in korean..www.mba.co.kr/html/academy/academy_06_view.jsp?txtUqnaGrop=oiselet101&txtUqnaCode=ACD20060313130627345 - 29k -

No reason to go to Korean websites brother. The "search" button at the top yielded plenty of threads about the same SC.

One final point. You keep insisting that "has plummeted in the last year" is correct. In fact it is wrong.

Hitler has attacked Poland in 1939.
Google has invested hundreds of millions of dollars in the cellphone project in 2006.

Do these sound right to you?

I can see that I have failed to convince you. Be that as it may... I am going with D if this question appears on the real exam (especially since 90% of the other posters agree with me).
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Set 9 Q 3 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 13:51
This post received
KUDOS
bumping up the thread here to clarify an important concept.

Can someone clarify whether (D) is ok, especially because 'With the cost of wireless service plummeting' modifies people? Does it not mean: 'People with the cost of wireless service....'? If so, it is wrong. Anyone?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Set 9 Q 3 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 17:48
This post received
KUDOS
Besides the fact the D is the obvious answer at the first glance without going into the nitty-gritties, here are my 2 cents:

'with' is used for the following purpose, amongst many other:

"in correspondence, comparison, or proportion to"
e.g Their power increased with their number. How does their plan compare with ours?"

source: good old dictionary.com

Besides, this, E lacks parallelism, begins with while and doesnt sound kosher:)
'While' cannot be used to replace 'because'.
'With' can.

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 103 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Set 9 Q 3 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 20:50
This post received
KUDOS
Sentence has Verb Parallel issue

phones are increasingly common, many people [costs plummeting, and phones are increasingly – eliminate it]

B. As the cost of wireless service plummeted in the last year and as mobile phones became increasingly common, many people [plummeted and became increasingly common – HOLD IT]

C. In the last year, with the cost of wireless service plummeting, and mobile phones have become increasingly common, there are many people [service plummeting , and have – eliminate it]

D. With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year and mobile phones becoming increasingly common, many people are[ plummeting and becoming – hold it]
phones are increasingly common, many people are [ has plummeted and are – eliminate it]

Between B and D:

As implies continuous operation but we require something changed permanently – Eliminate B

Answer: D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Set 9 Q 3 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 06:21
eyunni wrote:

Can someone clarify whether (D) is ok, especially because 'With the cost of wireless service plummeting' modifies people? Does it not mean: 'People with the cost of wireless service....'? If so, it is wrong. Anyone?

My question remains unanswered. First of all, I chose (D) for the same reasons as stated above. On second parsing, however, I believe that there is an issue in D with the use of 'with'. Any specific comments with regards to the above doubt are greatly appreciated.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Set 9 Q 3 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 09:49
Anyone? Still waiting for an explanation :cry:
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Set 9 Q 3 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 08:42
eyunni wrote:

I am still waiting for a explanation about the use of 'with'. Nobody has any complaints about the use of 'with' in D? Please clarify.
Re: SC: Set 9 Q 3   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2008, 08:42