Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: McMaster
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 19:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:32) wrong based on 3 sessions
Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people now using their mobile phones to make calls across a wide region at night and on weekends, when numerous wireless companies provide unlimited airtime for a relatively small monthly fee.
A. Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people
B. As the cost of wireless service plummeted in the last year and as mobile phones became increasingly common, many people
C. In the last year, with the cost of wireless service plummeting, and mobile phones have become increasingly common, there are many people
D. With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year and mobile phones becoming increasingly common, many people are
E. While the cost of wireless service has plummeted in the last year and mobile phones are increasingly common, many people are

Between D and E, I chose D. I thought:
1. The present perfect tense should not be introduced into E, because present perfect tense means something happened before and the effect of this happened thing last till now. So it changed Author's intention.
2. While...and... should be a parallel structure. So this is a grammartical error.

Which one will you choose? Can you also explain?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Last edited by Jasonlu1981 on 22 Dec 2009, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: as..., while..., with... [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 18:00
[caption=]Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people now using their mobile phones to make calls across a wide region at night and on weekends, when numerous wireless companies provide unlimited airtime for a relatively small monthly fee.
A. Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people
B. As the cost of wireless service plummeted in the last year and as mobile phones became increasingly common, many people
C. In the last year, with the cost of wireless service plummeting, and mobile phones have become increasingly common, there are many people
D. With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year and mobile phones becoming increasingly common, many people are
E. While the cost of wireless service has plummeted in the last year and mobile phones are increasingly common, many people are

Between D and E, I chose D. I thought:
1. The present perfect tense should not be introduced into E, because present perfect tense means something happened before and the effect of this happened thing last till now. So it changed Author's intention.
2. While...and... should be a parallel structure. So this is a grammartical error.

Which one will you choose? Can you also explain?[/caption]

D is wordy and awkward. Last year should modify both cost of wireless service and mobile phones.
Choice B has correct parallelism but is missing an "are" at the end of the sentence.

A kudos would greatly help :)

Tuhin

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

Re: as..., while..., with... [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 19:48
I still find E better than D. What is OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: as..., while..., with... [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 02:27
is this an official problem? neither D nor E seems correct.

IMO

when you use the structure "with ...." is an adverbial modifier that modifies the clause after the comma. Option D is saying that people kind of have cost of wireless services plummeting, a sentence that does not make any sense.

Look at this INCORRECT answer choice in an official problem

With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources, drive more than one-third of its automobiles, and use 21 times more water per capita than Europeans do

the problem with this sentence is that United States citizens don't have 5 percent of the world's population.

In option E the present perfect is just played wrong.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: as..., while..., with... [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 02:48

E) I donot see the usage of HAS incorrect in D.What else could have been used here?
HAS usage shows an event just happened before the existing event

D) Plummeting in the last year IS SUSPECT since plummeting is present continuous
and cannot be used with a past period.WITH THE COST OF WIRLESS SERVICE HAVING PLAUMMETED IN THE LAST YEAR is better
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: as..., while..., with... [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 03:36
sasen wrote:

I donot see the usage of HAS incorrect in D.What else could have been used here?
HAS usage shows an event just happened before the existing event

I don't agree with what your wrote. Present perfect is used to describe an action that started in the past and still continues/affects the present.

In this case option E contains last year, indicating that the action ended last year. Thus the use of the present perfect is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Schools: McMaster

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: as..., while..., with... [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 04:20
It is an official problem. I have the official answer, but I want to post the official answer choice latter since this problem was posted in another forum for like 5 years' debating. I'd like to see different opinions and how different people explain their answers so all of us can learn a lot from this example. If you you need the official answer, pls send me a message, I'll reply to you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: as..., while..., with... [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 14:27
in a b c "are" is missing (we need verb)

so its between E and D

D is better
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: as..., while..., with... [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 02:47
My issue with D is that "With the cost of [...] increasingly common" is a prepositional phrase so therefore is must be either an adjective or an adverb. If it is an adjective, it seems to modify the noun "many people". If it is an adverb, it seems to modifiy the verb "are". In either case, does not make any sense for me.
Could anybody clarify this point?
Thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: as..., while..., with...   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2011, 02:47