Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 63

Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 05:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

36% (02:12) correct 64% (01:10) wrong based on 94 sessions
Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job discrimination case must prove not only that the employer lied about the reasons for dismissal but also that those reasons were discriminatory, plaintiffs in such cases fear that they will have no higher court that they can appeal to when their cases are decided in lower courts.

(A) that they will have no higher court that they can appeal to when their cases are
(B) to which to appeal after their cases have been
(C) for appealing if their case has been
(D) to which they can appeal if their case is
(E) that their cases can appeal, if they have been

OA after some discussions.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by nelz007 on 20 Nov 2012, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 44

Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 05:48
nelz007 wrote:
Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job discrimination case must prove not only that the employer lied about the reasons for dismissal but also that those reasons were discriminatory, plaintiffs in such cases fear that they will have no higher court that they can appeal to when their cases are decided in lower courts.

(A) that they will have no higher court that they can appeal to when their cases are

IMO D

...... higher court to which they can appeal if their case is .....
higher court is noun to be modified....
they refers to employee...

Please correct if im wrong

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1553 [1] , given: 248

Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 06:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
First thing to note is that the plaintiffs have cases of their own and not a single common case.

A that they can appeal to when their cases are ------- The use of the present tense ‘are decided’ is not in appropriate since the appeals will be done well after the decision.

(B) to which to appeal after their cases have been ---- the best choice.

(C) for appealing if their case has been --- ‘their case’ is wrong
(D) To which they can appeal if their case is -----‘their case’ is wrong
(E) that their cases can appeal, if they have been --- absurd meaning saying that their cases can apple.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 63

Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 07:20
To which to appeal sounds a bit awkward but grammatically its correct. OA is B.
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 543

Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 03:17
Whats wrong with A was debating between A and B

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 20:36
This post received
KUDOS
Modified the original question, option A was incorrect in the original one.

nelz007 wrote:

(A) they can appeal to when their cases are

The trick is that the sentence refers to the plaintiffs, the initial clause is just filler.

So the meat of the sentence is, "Because the Supreme Court has ruled X, plaintiffs in such cases fear that THEY will have no higher court blah blah"

Therefore, the correct option should be in plural form, C & D are out.

E says "that their cases can appeal" that's wrong. The cases are not appealing, the plaintiffs are..

A starts off on the correct note but ends with "when their cases are". In this case the use of "have been" is warranted since we are talking about something that will have an impact on the present
SVP
SVP
Followers: 237

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 14:16
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 06-27-2014
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 17:11
i also fell for Option D. option B was sounding awkward - to which to appeal...
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2013, 17:11