Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 06:40

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that.. [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 06:02
papillon86 wrote:
Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fie lds of large sea areas. they have already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.

(A) Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated
(B) Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, it has already stimulated
(C) Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulating
(D) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, this has already stimulated
(E) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fie lds of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating

Please explain your answers!

Thanks

+1 for B. The same question is there on another thread in this forum.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 03:32
B it is.
A -
Quote:
Because there are provisions of the new maritime code

it should be under the provisions
C -
Quote:
Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulating

what is stimulating the disputes the claims or provisions?
D -
Quote:
Because even tiny islets

because is redundant.
E - again ambiguous as to what is stimulating the disputes.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 07:28
B. Daagh's explanation was great.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 13:53
I chose B for this question:

A. The use of "...that provide that..." is confusing in the answer choice. Also, the pronoun "they" cannot refer to provisions. The subject should actually be "the new maritime code," but since this is singular, the use of "they" must be incorrect.

B. This answer choice uses active voice. Also, the pronoun "it" clearly refers back to the new maritime code because "it" is in the subject position of the main clause, while "new maritime code" is in the subject position of the subordinate clause.

C. This answer choice was very confusing. The placement of the modifier "already stimulating..." modifies the entire clause. This modifier makes it sound like the tiny islets are stimulating the international disputes, but the maritime code is what is actually causing the disputes.

D. I found this answer choice to be weaker because of passive voice. Also, what does "this" refer to?

E. This sentence is a fragment because a subordinate clause is attached to a modifier. There is no main clause to complete the sentence.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 3.28
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 72

Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 23:24
+1 for B .Correct usage of pronoun it .

If you like my post, Press +1 KUDO. It is the best way to say Thanks .

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2012, 05:11
a. `they`pronoun reference error
b. correct
c. wrong modification `under provisions of ... `
d. this is used a standalone pronoun. it should be used as an adjective like `this thing`
e. this is fragment. no working verb

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 20:23
whamberto wrote:
I chose B for this question:

A. The use of "...that provide that..." is confusing in the answer choice. Also, the pronoun "they" cannot refer to provisions. The subject should actually be "the new maritime code," but since this is singular, the use of "they" must be incorrect.

I'm confused. Why can't "they" refer back to "provisions"? It appears that both terms are in plural form.

Last edited by dpvtank on 04 Sep 2012, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 4

Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 11:13
B, as it uses the pronoun it correctly.

C seems a run on after comma

D, E sounds awkward

A, improper construction

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 11:32
B is the answer and below are the explanations.

(A) Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated..<<that provide that is not correct>>
(B) Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, it has already stimulated<<correct-it after comma correctly refers to the new maritime code>>
(C) Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulating--<<already stimulating is incorrect>>
(D) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, this has already stimulated<<not sure what this after comma is referring to>>
(E) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fie lds of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating<<no justification for the use of because>>

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 465 [0], given: 102

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2013, 03:33
Expert's post
Hi Verbal Experts,
Can you please provide your analysis for this question ?

Much appreciate your reply.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 54

Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 02:20
The sentence is made up of two fragments (two clauses) of the type : Because X ..., Y ...
So, the subject of the first clause and the subject of the second clause should be same (in second clause, a pronoun is used, and so, its antecedent must be the subject of the first clause)

Second thing, the meaning. The maritime code did X. Because of which, Y happened.

This is perfectly done in B. If you have doubts with option A, split the sentence into two clause fragments, and re-read it. You will see the mistakes with A.

(B) Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, it has already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.

The "it" clearly refers to the subject of the first clause.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: new maritime code [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 03:06
Expert's post
siddhans wrote:
BMindful wrote:
sasen wrote:
(A) Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated
THEY DOESNOT HAVE A CLEAR REFERRANT
"PROVISION OF" /"PROVIDE THAT" IS REDUNDANT
Provide is the verb for the new maritime code; therefore, it should be "provides"
(B) Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, it has already stimulated
LOOKS OK..IT REFERS TO CODE

(C) Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulating
"AREAS UNDER PROVISIONS" CHNAGES THE MEANING
ALREADY STIMULATING USAGE DOESNOT CLEARLY STATE A "CAUSE AND AFFECT" RELATIONSHIP CLEARLY
(D) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, this has already stimulated
"THIS" HAS NO REFERRANT+ and i dont think that "this" (in GMAT world) can refer to a noun. (never seen at least)
(E) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating
bEACUSE OF X,WHICH IS...isincorrect sentence structure
correct sentence should be BECAUSE OF X,Y HAS HAPPEND etc

PRESENT CONTINUOUS STIMULATING should be present perfect

Agree with Sasen, my ans is B and I made my add in blue.

How can we say 'This' has no clear referent in D but 'it' has clear referent in C.....How can we know these things ??? Is there a test we can do? I am so confused :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The referent is the noun that appears in the sentence before the pronoun and the pronoun is used in order not to repeat the same noun. The question that can help you check whether the pronoun refers to the correct noun can be as follows: who/ what does the action described by the verb that follows the pronoun? For example: Who/ what has stimulated international disputes?
You also need to make sure that the sentence includes a noun that matches the pronoun in form ( a singular pronoun makes reference to a singular noun and a plural pronoun to a plural noun).

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmattutor
(866) 292-0660

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 23

Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 04:15
gmattokyo wrote:
Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.

(E) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating

Most of you must've already seen this in OG12, but 'coz I got it wrong the second time around, sharing it for practice of everyone...

"IT" in B is not ambiguous because the subject of the first clause is "it".
in contrast, "they" in A is ambiguous because there is no subject in A. "they" can not refer to "there are" so it can refer to "provisions" or "islets"

"that" in a is correct because it can refer to "provisions" even "Provisions" is far. this case is not prefered but do appear in oa in many questions.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 22

Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 19:22
Hi,

Can someone please explain why "they" in A is wrong. The description in the OG states that "they" refers to "there" in first part of the sentence.

If "they" is the pronoun, shouldn't the antecedent be "fisheries and oil fields"?

As I type this out, I'm realizing that I might not understand the meaning of the question. Please correct me but here is how I interpret it "Because there are certain clauses in the code, tiny islands can be claimed by fisheries and oil because, they(fisheries) have already stimulated disputes". Is this wrong?

EDIT: More detailed question
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 4

Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
Russ9,
Let us split this sentence:
There (noun/subject) are (verb) X provisions (where X is described in "that provide...areas"). So they (pronoun) have already done Y.

You can see now that "they" refers to "there".

If you want they to refer to provisions, you should modify the first part accordingly. For example, you could say:
Because the X provisions (subject/noun) provide (verb) Y, they have already stimulated Z.

--Prasad
EnterMBA.in

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 22

Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2014, 18:27
prasi55 wrote:
Russ9,
Let us split this sentence:
There (noun/subject) are (verb) X provisions (where X is described in "that provide...areas"). So they (pronoun) have already done Y.

You can see now that "they" refers to "there".

If you want they to refer to provisions, you should modify the first part accordingly. For example, you could say:
Because the X provisions (subject/noun) provide (verb) Y, they have already stimulated Z.

--Prasad
EnterMBA.in

Hi Prasad,

Interesting description. However, when I re-read this -- "because there are provisions ...that provide..., they have already stimulated...." -- isn't "provisions" the subject here? Isn't provisions doing the providing? I am having a hard time understanding how "there" because the subject/noun?

Not saying that you're wrong, but I just don't understand :)

-R
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 4

Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2014, 22:09
Dear russ9,

Let us look at it another way.

First, it is the maritime code that has stimulated disputes.

Review the structure in B:
The maritime code provides X. Therefore, it (=the maritime code) has stimulated disputes.

Review the structure in A:
There are provisions of the maritime code [that provide (note the redundant "provisions that provide") X]. Therefore, they have stimulated disputes.

Option A changes the main verb "provide" into an adjective that provides information about the maritime code. This is indirect. The GMAT prefers directness.

Now look at the main verb "are". When used without another verb, "are" means "exist". The construction suggests that "the existence" of those provisions of the maritime code, and not the maritime code itself, has stimulated disputes.
This is illogical.

In the construction in A, "they" can only refer to "there" because "provisions" is expressed as the "object" of the main verb "are".

Let's take an example:
1. Because the singers sang great songs that mesmerised the audience, they were handsomely rewarded.
"They" refers to the singers, not to the songs.

2. Because the singers sang songs that mesmerised the audience, they were recorded and people could listen to them again and again.
Here, "they" and "them" incorrectly refer to the singers. In cause-effect constructions, pronouns in the independent clause must refer to the subject, not to the object. Else, the construction is vague and suggests that someone performed an action but that someone else derived the benefit ;)
The next sentence shows how you can rephrase the same sentence to convey that the songs were recorded.

3. Because the songs that the singers sang mesmerised the audience, they were recorded and people could listen to them again and again.

--Prasad

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2014, 22:09