Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 18:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because they had been living in the mountains for a number

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1703 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Because they had been living in the mountains for a number [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 04:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

66% (02:05) correct 34% (00:53) wrong based on 30 sessions
Because they had been living in the mountains for a number of years, the rebellious liberation forces knew the pulse and beat of each and every corner of the terrain, a fact combining with their do or die will power to make them the most dreaded forces

(A) a fact combining with their do or die will power to make
(B) a fact combining with their do or die will power, made
(C) a fact when combining with their do or die will power, made
(D) and this fact combining with their do or die will power, would make
(E) and this fact when combined with their do or die will power, made

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: The mountain rebels and the dangling run-on sentence [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 04:46
daagh wrote:
Because they had been living in the mountains for a number of years, the rebellious liberation forces knew the pulse and beat of each and every corner of the terrain, a fact combining with their do or die will power to make them the most dreaded forces

(A) a fact combining with their do or die will power to make combining doesnt go here, its all in past tense
(B) a fact combining with their do or die will power, made same as A
(C) a fact when combining with their do or die will power, made same as A
(D) and this fact combining with their do or die will power, would make same as A
(E) and this fact when combined with their do or die will power, made
Perfect

I Would go with E.

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: The mountain rebels and the dangling run-on sentence [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 08:44
E

"Had been living" = past past, "knew" = past, thus "combined" and "made" = past.
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 0

Re: The mountain rebels and the dangling run-on sentence [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 17:44
This post received
KUDOS
E) is the best answer here, but it's still not ideal. If this were a real GMAT problem there would be a comma between “this fact” and “when” in answer (E), because “when combined with their do-or-die will power” is a non-restrictive modifier (that is, not essential to the meaning of the sentence). As others have pointed out, the correct verb form is “combined” (in the past tense), rather than the gerund “combining” (which gives you very little information about the time frame of the action described). You can see this more easily if you disregard the non-restrictive modifier—just pretend it’s not there so you can more easily examine the subject-verb pair.

What hasn’t been mentioned yet is that (A), (B), and (C) are wrong because “a fact” seems like it modifies “terrain,” which doesn’t make much sense. This ambiguity is enough to eliminate the first three answer choices.

Mimi

Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Save 10% on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 12

Re: The mountain rebels and the dangling run-on sentence [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 18:25
am with you that this question suck
But I dont understand how is it E grammatically right?
In E, from what I know WHEN is adverbial modifier(same as although), when ADV modifier is attached to the middle of the sentence, it has to be attached to a clause not a noun phrase, otherwise it would ungrammatical. And what it seems to me that the comma before THIS FACT is trying to attach two independent clauses(but there is only one) otherwise the comma is not justified.
One more question: COMBINING in A is an adjective meaning it doesn't have tense, so it doesn't show the time frame of the action.

Nanquam Fractum

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1703 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The mountain rebels and the dangling run-on sentence [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 18:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
May I seek a small clarification from Mimi?

Mimi has said that that there has to be a comma between fact and when, because “when combined with their do-or-die will power” is a non-restrictive modifier (that is, not essential to the meaning of the sentence).

When I coined the passage, I precisely wanted to make it restrictive and hence deliberately left out the comma. Let us say, if the sentence had a comma as Mimi suggests, it would run as this with an in-built parenthesis.

and this fact, when combined with their do or die will power, made

Now, if you remove the parenthesis momentarily because it is not essential to the crux of the passage, then according to me, the meaning gets substantially altered. To make them a dreaded lot, you require two things i.e., firstly, the fact that they knew the pulse and beat of each and every corner of the terrain …… and secondly, this fact’s combination with their do or die will power. If the second thing was not there, they would not be considered a dreaded lot

If this was the underlying thought, would GMAT have used a comma? I look forward to some comments.

Secondly, a fact in Choices A, B and C does not modify terrain. If it were to modify terrain, a relative pronoun such as which with preceding comma or that without a preceding comma would have been used. In the given case, a fact stands for the liberation forces’ knowledge of the pulse and beat of each and every corner of the terrain. A, B and C have the problem of using “combining”

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: The mountain rebels and the dangling run-on sentence [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 18:48
This post received
KUDOS
Clarifications gladly given! My comments are directed as much at the strategy you should use to approach this problem as at the grammar itself.

If it's a non-restrictive modifier, then there should be two commas. If it's a restrictive modifier, then there should be no comma after "will power." Remember that a comma does not indicate a pause in a sentence when you speak it out loud. It has grammatical significance. To fully integrate a restrictive modifier into a sentence, you generally do not follow it up with a comma. However, since the GMAT does not test commas directly, this isn't a big issue.

With respect to "a fact": it is indeed an appositive modifier. My point is that the GMAT prefers an appositive modifier to modify what is immediately next to it, i.e., terrain. Technically "a fact" here may stand in apposition to the entire clause "the rebellious forces...knew," but the GMAT usually avoids that kind of ambiguity. That knowledge can help people decide to eliminate A), B), and C).

Hope that helps! It's a good problem that raises lots of subtle issues!

Mimi

Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Save 10% on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1703 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The mountain rebels and the dangling run-on sentence [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 23:17
Expert's post
Thanks a ton Mimi, but only one thing that I want to know fo sure is that, if the GMAT so explicitly prefers an appositive modifier to modify what is immediately next to it, i.e., terrain ( in this issue, what is immediately before it). then it must have said so in some concrete cases. May I know them for my info please?

Thanks again for your wonderful inputs.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Because they had been living in the mountains for a number [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 22:13
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Because they had been living in the mountains for a number   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2014, 22:13