Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because visual inspection cannot reliably distinguish

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Because visual inspection cannot reliably distinguish [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 21:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Because visual inspection cannot reliably distinguish certain skin discolorations from skin cancers, dermatologists at clinics have needed to perform tests of skin tissue taken from patients. At Westville Hospital, dermatological diagnostic costs were reduced by the purchase of a new imaging machine that diagnoses skin cancer in such cases as reliably as the tissue tests do. Consequently, even though the machine is expensive, a dermatological clinic in Westville is considering buying one to reduce diagnostic costs.

Which of the following would it be most useful for the clinic to establish in order to make its decision?

A. Whether the visits of patients who require diagnosis of skin discolorations tend to be shorter in duration at the clinic than at the hospital
B. Whether the principles on which the machine operates have been known to science for a long time
C. Whether the machine at the clinic would get significantly less heavy use than the machine at the hospital does
D. Whether in certain cases of skin discoloration, visual inspection is sufficient to make a diagnosis of skin cancer
E. Whether hospitals in other parts of the country have purchased such imaging machines
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 21:50
looks D to me....
if visual inspection is NOT sufficient to make a diagnosis of skin cancer, then additional test will be needed, which will increase the cost not reduce
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 21:54
I see C !

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 00:30
C for me too.

The hospital can reduce cost because of heavy use. For a small clinic, however, it may not be fully used to justify its high price.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 16:04
C for me too.

If the clinic uses the machine less frequently than the hospital does :wink: , then buying may not be a good business proposition for the clinic.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 18:51
ak_idc wrote:
C for me too.

If the clinic uses the machine less frequently than the hospital does :wink: , then buying may not be a good business proposition for the clinic.

I fell for the trap D :cry:

I can always narrow the answer down to 2 choices, but I have often selected the wrong answer. Does it happen to you guys too? Whats the best way to deal with this?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 19:23
I did not like the question.

A, B, D and E are completely irrevelant.
Left with C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - 17/23 - Skin Discoloration [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 20:05
choice c.

what's the oa?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 21:08
C
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 21:13
uvs_mba wrote:
ak_idc wrote:
C for me too.

I fell for the trap D :cry:

I can always narrow the answer down to 2 choices, but I have often selected the wrong answer. Does it happen to you guys too? Whats the best way to deal with this?

hey Uvs, that happens to everybody. Dont worry abt that :wink: .

Options in GMAT are given in 3:2 ratio. I read some where. In this type of questions we need to be careful abt scope.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 23:38
U guys are gr8...I also fell in D trap:)

Now clear about C !
  [#permalink] 06 Nov 2006, 23:38