Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because visual inspection cannot reliably distinguish

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Because visual inspection cannot reliably distinguish [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 18:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (03:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
Because visual inspection cannot reliably distinguish certain skin discolorations from skin cancers, dermatologists at clinics have needed to perform tests of skin tissue taken from patients. At Westville Hospital, dermatological diagnostic costs were reduced by the purchase of a new imaging machine that diagnoses skin cancer in such cases as reliably as the tissue tests do. Consequently, even though the machine is expensive, a dermatological clinic in Westville is considering buying one to reduce diagnostic costs.
Which of the following would it be most useful for the clinic to establish in order to make its decision?

A .Whether the visits of patients who require diagnosis of skin discolorations tend to be shorter in duration at the clinic than at the hospital
B. Whether the principles on which the machine operates have been known to science for a long time
C. Whether the machine at the clinic would get significantly less heavy use than the machine at the hospital does
D.Whether in certain cases of skin discoloration, visual inspection is sufficient to make a diagnosis of skin cancer
E. Whether hospitals in other parts of the country have purchased such imaging machines

My answer is C
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 6

Re: check this one visual perception [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 20:07
should be (C).
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD, Harvard
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: check this one visual perception [#permalink] New post 08 May 2010, 09:45
It took me a long time to come to my answer - C.

A: No linkage in the argument between $$ and test duration
B: Introduces new information that doesn't link in with anything in the argument stem
D: First sentence says this is not possible
E: Introduces new information that doesn't link in with anything in the argument stem
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: check this one visual perception [#permalink] New post 08 May 2010, 23:53
sharonluo33 wrote:
Because visual inspection cannot reliably distinguish certain skin discolorations from skin cancers, dermatologists at clinics have needed to perform tests of skin tissue taken from patients. At Westville Hospital, dermatological diagnostic costs were reduced by the purchase of a new imaging machine that diagnoses skin cancer in such cases as reliably as the tissue tests do. Consequently, even though the machine is expensive, a dermatological clinic in Westville is considering buying one to reduce diagnostic costs.
Which of the following would it be most useful for the clinic to establish in order to make its decision?

A .Whether the visits of patients who require diagnosis of skin discolorations tend to be shorter in duration at the clinic than at the hospital
B. Whether the principles on which the machine operates have been known to science for a long time
C. Whether the machine at the clinic would get significantly less heavy use than the machine at the hospital does
D.Whether in certain cases of skin discoloration, visual inspection is sufficient to make a diagnosis of skin cancer
E. Whether hospitals in other parts of the country have purchased such imaging machines

My answer is C

why 'C'?? the argument needs usage benefits f new machine mainly in cost or some other form which can show its worthiness to buy in hospital. Option 'A' says if it cud reduce or increase number of patients visits for diagnosis, it cud be a valid reason whether to buy the new machine.

Wats OA??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Re: check this one visual perception [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 06:51
i think it should be A because if the visits of patients at the hospital are shorter ,clinics can compensate for the large cost of the machine and reduce its cost....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: check this one visual perception [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 01:19
IMO A for the same reason as mentioned above

OA?
BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 76

Re: check this one visual perception [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 03:18
sharonluo33 wrote:

The hospital bought an imaging machine to diagnose skin cancer, and the hospital was able to reduce costs. Now the clinic is analyzing whether to buy one of those machines, since they are expensive.
A. I can't see the point. If the visits are shorter, how will that affect the efficiency of having a machine?
B. Short time or long time, as long as the machine diagnoses as well as the tests, this is not an issue.
C. The hospital was able to reduce the costs. It seems that they use it constantly. If the clinic will not use the machine that much, the depreciation cost will impact more heavily in the clinic when the machine is idle. Definitely a good point to consider.
D. In certain cases, it is possible. But the cases on subject are those that are difficult to diagnose through visual inspection.
E. It's not a great factor to consider, knowing that the hospital next block was able to reduce costs.
The correct answer is C to me.
Re: check this one visual perception   [#permalink] 28 May 2010, 03:18