Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because vs Since vs Due to.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Because vs Since vs Due to. [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 05:34
As I am going though OG questions and explanations
I am noticing that OG has some notions about the use of
because / since / due to

Can you please help me understand when to use which one ?

thanks much !!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 490
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 987 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Because vs Since vs Due to. [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 06:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
z3nith wrote:
As I am going though OG questions and explanations
I am noticing that OG has some notions about the use of
because / since / due to

Can you please help me understand when to use which one ?

thanks much !!


Hi z3nith,

Because of VS due to.



On GMAT most often the use of "because" is correct as compared to the use of "due to". As a trick, just replace "due to" with "caused by" if the sentence still makes sense then its correct.

Consider the following examples


His success in the final exams was due to his hard work and persistence. --> Correct

His success in the final exams was caused by his hard work and persistence --> makes sense ? yes, hence "due to" is used correctly.

He came first in the class due to his hard work and persistence. --> Correct.

He came first in the class caused by his hard work and persistence. --> Makes sense? absolutely not, hence incorrect, "because" would be more appropriate here.

He came first in the class because of his hard work and persistence --> Correct.

Though no required, but if you want to know the grammatical lingo visit this article - http://www.dailywritingtips.com/because-of-and-due-to/

Because VS since



Because and since can be used interchangeably.

He went home early because he was not feeling well. --> correct

He went home early since he was not feeling well. --> correct

Hope this helps,

Vercules
_________________

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Helping People Ace the GMAT
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 143
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 4

Re: Because vs Since vs Due to. [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 06:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
Honestly, don't make SC decisions based on these minimal differences. There are many other more obvious errors, these really aren't errors, but rather stylistic differences.
_________________

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Because vs Since vs Due to. [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 08:27
JimGMATPrepster wrote:
Honestly, don't make SC decisions based on these minimal differences. There are many other more obvious errors, these really aren't errors, but rather stylistic differences.


I agree that there were other obvious errors in the sentence. but when you say that these are "stylstic difference"
do you imply that GMAT is flexible in use of Due to/ because and can use that interchangeably ?

Or the explanations given above with the differences will always hold and just that
these difference are not that important that GMAT will based its answer purely on this.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Because vs Since vs Due to. [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 08:29
Vercules wrote:
z3nith wrote:
As I am going though OG questions and explanations
I am noticing that OG has some notions about the use of
because / since / due to

Can you please help me understand when to use which one ?

thanks much !!


Hi z3nith,

Because of VS due to.



On GMAT most often the use of "because" is correct as compared to the use of "due to". As a trick, just replace "due to" with "caused by" if the sentence still makes sense then its correct.

Consider the following examples


His success in the final exams was due to his hard work and persistence. --> Correct

His success in the final exams was caused by his hard work and persistence --> makes sense ? yes, hence "due to" is used correctly.

He came first in the class due to his hard work and persistence. --> Correct.

He came first in the class caused by his hard work and persistence. --> Makes sense? absolutely not, hence incorrect, "because" would be more appropriate here.

He came first in the class because of his hard work and persistence --> Correct.

Though no required, but if you want to know the grammatical lingo visit this article - http://www.dailywritingtips.com/because-of-and-due-to/

Because VS since



Because and since can be used interchangeably.

He went home early because he was not feeling well. --> correct

He went home early since he was not feeling well. --> correct

Hope this helps,

Vercules



thanks was helpful.

But Correct me if I am wrong. I was under the impression that
Since and because can't be used interchangeably in GMAT.
and Since only caters to time

example :
He has not come home since 1997.
Expert Post
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 490
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 987 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Because vs Since vs Due to. [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 09:03
Expert's post
Quote:
thanks was helpful.

But Correct me if I am wrong. I was under the impression that
Since and because can't be used interchangeably in GMAT.
and Since only caters to time

example :
He has not come home since 1997.


"since" can serve two purposes.

--> to express a present perfect action, as in your example above and can not be replaced by "because"

--> as a replacement of because, the one I mentioned in my last example. "as"/ "because" is more preferred here.

Quote:
I agree that there were other obvious errors in the sentence. but when you say that these are "stylstic difference"
do you imply that GMAT is flexible in use of Due to/ because and can use that interchangeably ?

Or the explanations given above with the differences will always hold and just that
these difference are not that important that GMAT will based its answer purely on this.


I agree with Jim that these are more or less stylistic issues. It is a rare possibility that GMAT will solely base a question on these issues. You will have more reasons to eliminate/ select an answer choice apart from stylistic issues like the ones that we discussed.

Visit this - http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/due ... 15279.html

Hope this helps,

Vercules
_________________

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Helping People Ace the GMAT
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 143
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Re: Because vs Since vs Due to. [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 09:57
z3nith wrote:
JimGMATPrepster wrote:
Honestly, don't make SC decisions based on these minimal differences. There are many other more obvious errors, these really aren't errors, but rather stylistic differences.


I agree that there were other obvious errors in the sentence. but when you say that these are "stylstic difference"
do you imply that GMAT is flexible in use of Due to/ because and can use that interchangeably ?

Or the explanations given above with the differences will always hold and just that
these difference are not that important that GMAT will based its answer purely on this.



Think of them as interchangeable, often times the switch from one to the other is to mask the sentence construction of a different error. While some rules may work more often than not, you will have more accuracy really understanding the error in the other part of the sentence.
_________________

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Because vs Since vs Due to. [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 12:00
JimGMATPrepster wrote:
z3nith wrote:
JimGMATPrepster wrote:
Honestly, don't make SC decisions based on these minimal differences. There are many other more obvious errors, these really aren't errors, but rather stylistic differences.


I agree that there were other obvious errors in the sentence. but when you say that these are "stylstic difference"
do you imply that GMAT is flexible in use of Due to/ because and can use that interchangeably ?

Or the explanations given above with the differences will always hold and just that
these difference are not that important that GMAT will based its answer purely on this.



Think of them as interchangeable, often times the switch from one to the other is to mask the sentence construction of a different error. While some rules may work more often than not, you will have more accuracy really understanding the error in the other part of the sentence.



GOT IT !!
Thanks :)
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1794
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3662 [0], given: 185

Re: Because vs Since vs Due to. [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 22:27
Expert's post
Payal/Shraddha wrote an article on usage of "Due to Vs because of". Check it out.

due-to-vs-because-of-140393.html

-Rajat
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 13
GMAT 1: 0 Q0 V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Because vs Since vs Due to. [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 07:35
egmat wrote:
Payal/Shraddha wrote an article on usage of "Due to Vs because of". Check it out.



-Rajat


Hi, Rajat

Will you please provide anwer with explanation for the below mentioned questions (this questions is present in the above mentioned article by Shraddha)

It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the formation of planetary nebulas, may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other at close range.

A. may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other
B. may be caused by the interaction between two stars that each orbit the other
C. are because of the interaction between two stars that orbit each other
D. are caused by the interaction of two stars where each is orbiting the other
E. are caused by the interaction of two stars orbiting each other

Which is the correct answer? C or E? and why?

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,
Heman2727
_________________

If my post helps, please do appreciate it with a Kudos!!
Cheers to great learning. Knowledge increases by sharing and not by saving!!!!

Re: Because vs Since vs Due to.   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2013, 07:35
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Because of vs due to Gnpth 0 13 Aug 2014, 08:37
56 Experts publish their posts in the topic Due to Vs Because of egmat 23 09 Oct 2012, 17:37
due to vs because tt11234 6 21 Aug 2010, 08:37
GMAT Prep - SC - Because vs Due to maheshkrishna 2 20 Jun 2008, 09:06
1 usage of as Vs because Vs as a result of Nihit 0 20 Apr 2008, 09:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Because vs Since vs Due to.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.