Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 23:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before George Eliot became the popular and respected

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 19:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

51% (01:52) correct 49% (00:55) wrong based on 95 sessions
Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she had been an anonymous translator and essayist
(A) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she had been
(B) Before she had been the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot she was
(C) George Eliot has been popular and respected novelist, George Eliot after such time as she was
(D) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot,she was
(E) George Eliot, before she was the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, had been
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by sharadvdopia on 13 Jul 2010, 00:28, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: 4 questions I came across. Whats the logic for answers [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 19:29
This post received
KUDOS
D. setting & establishing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: 4 questions I came across. Whats the logic for answers [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 19:39
IMO D

Corporation = SINGULAR, hence we can compare it to singular nouns only.

"proprietorships" and "partnerships", in option E, are plural nouns and hence can't be compared to "Corporation" (singular).....

only D uses singular and maintains parallelism, choose D

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 5

Re: George Eliot [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 01:36
So OA is "A" !!!

Although i don't disagree with this, i'm just wondering, can the below sentence also be correct. if no why?

"Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she was an anonymous translator and essayist"

+1 kudos me if this is of any help...

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: George Eliot [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 03:55
sharadvdopia wrote:
Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she had been an anonymous translator and essayist
(A) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she had been
(B) Before she had been the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot she was
(C) George Eliot has been popular and respected novelist, George Eliot after such time as she was
(D) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot,she was
(E) George Eliot, before she was the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, had been

IMO 'A'

we need past perfect to indicate timeframe before the past tense(became)

Between 'A' and 'E' .. i choose A as E looks awkward to me.

If you like my post, consider giving me a kudos. THANKS!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 06:52
IMO,

the choice is clearly between A & E!

let me try to put the info chronologically,

1)she was essayist & that is over in the past when she became popular=>had been
2)she became popular(till she was alive)

thus A gets knocked off, its E for correct usage of tenses.

pls correct if wrong!
Thanks,
Aniket
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 36

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 07:02
Past perfect is not required when the sequence of events are clear.

The word "Before" clearly indicates the sequence of events. So my answer is D. But the OA is A. Can anyone please explain whats wrong with D and what makes A a better answer?

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 135

Kudos [?]: 174 [1] , given: 4

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Maaadhu,

Here is D in full

Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot,she was an anonymous translator and essayist

It doesn't make sense. Before George Eliot became George Eliot?

In A you have the 'known as' which makes this clear.

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 56

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 07:55
sharadvdopia wrote:

The event "George Eliot became the popular and respected …" was in the past and happened after the event "had been an anonymous translator…" --> event "she had been an anonymous …" must be in past perfect tense. Therefore, A is correct answer choice.
Intern
Intern

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 09:38
maaadhu wrote:
Past perfect is not required when the sequence of events are clear.

The word "Before" clearly indicates the sequence of events. So my answer is D. But the OA is A. Can anyone please explain whats wrong with D and what makes A a better answer?

Hi Maadhu,

in the below attached link, therz an explanation by MGMAT instructor, lets discuss this!
http://gmatclub.com/forum/before-george-eliot-became-the-popular-and-respected-97161.html?fl=similar

Thanks,
Aniket
Intern
Intern

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 09:50
Hi All,

in one of the similar discussions, a guy pointed out the following:-

d) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot,she was(original)
x) Before George Eliot became a popular and respected novelist, George Eliot,she was
a) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she had been(original)

here the use of "THE" should be used with "Known as" which means here sentence only talks about "Author" in general

but when in choice (d) "THE"......"Geroge" is more like "he is the Newton" of the class.

I guess GMAT does not test you on GK, the question stem implies that....abc who was writer became the popular known as xyz.
her abc & xyz are both ordinary (unlike The Newton-terminology) and more.

huh!

pls pls pls discuss this!

thanks,
Aniket

Last edited by aniketmunshi on 17 Jun 2013, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 05:52
"The" used is common for novelist, popular and Geroge Elliot. Also this sentence requires a sequence so A is the best answer
Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2014, 05:52