Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before George Eliot became the popular and respected

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 00:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:46) correct 38% (00:51) wrong based on 180 sessions
Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she had been an anonymous translator and essayist
(A) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she had been
(B) Before she had been the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot she was
(C) George Eliot has been popular and respected novelist, George Eliot after such time as she was
(D) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot,she was
(E) George Eliot, before she was the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, had been
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 29

Re: George Eliot [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 16:20
all the other answer choices seems either too wordy or awkward...my choice was A - it made more sense

B --> the last part is not correct- "george eliot she was" atleast the comma was misplaced...
C--> incorrect
D --> redundant "george eliot", the should have been "a"
E --> again... 2 instances of her name is wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

Re: George Eliot [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 03:26
The question is wrong. Had been does not make sense.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/george-eliiiot-t22156.html

Please correct, it only confuses others.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 71

Re: George Eliot [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 10:20
I'd probably go with A even thought I see the problem with the "had been" tense issue.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: George Eliot [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 22:05
please read the thread that you have shared. The right question has "had been" instead of was.
Question is correct.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 419 [1] , given: 36

Re: George Eliot [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 23:14
This post received
KUDOS
When / Before -----> clauses DONT need past perfect for sequencing. So A is wrong.

(A) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she had been

Should be simple past.

OA should be D. I am convinced. :-D

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: George Eliot [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 23:43
I selected D, but confused wherther it should be A or D.

Someone please help!!

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Followers: 130

Kudos [?]: 215 [1] , given: 6

Re: George Eliot [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2010, 11:45
This post received
KUDOS
I'm reluctant to chime in on this one because I believe there are a couple of transcription errors in the original post (for example, a comma missing in B and the end of the sentence is missing in the given sentence). I'm relying more on the BTG post linked above. Plus, I think it is odd that the name George Eliot is used twice, not because of redundancy, but because of inaccuracy. Before the author became known as George Eliot, she (by definition of "before"!) was not referred to as George Eliot. In case you were wondering, she was known as Mary Anne Evans originally (thanks Wikipedia!).

But all that aside, A is better than D because the commas around George Eliot are incorrect, or at least debatable. "Known as" may be wordier, but it is more correct.

For example:
The popular and often-quoted author Mark Twain lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during his formative years. CORRECT.
The popular and often-quoted author known as Mark Twain lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during his formative years. CORRECT.
The popular and often-quoted author, Mark Twain, lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during his formative years. INCORRECT (or at least less correct).

Some might argue that his name is parenthetical, and the sentence is grammatically complete as "The popular and often-quoted author lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during ...." They'd be right. But it's tough to make the case that the name of this author is optional/unimportant/less important than the generic subject "author."

The real GMAT would make all 4 wrong answers more definitively wrong than that, in my opinion.

Emily Sledge | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | St. Louis

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 36

Re: George Eliot [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2010, 21:23
esledge

Thanks for the explanation. But why is past perfect used in A? It could have been simple past e.g.

Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she was ---> not "had been". Before does the sequencing on the time line.

An example of this is "when" clauses. We know that past perfect is used to sequence two past events. But the exception is "when" clauses. When clauses happen first when both clauses are in simple past tense.

When I paid her one-dollar (1) , she answered my question. (2)
event (1) happened before event (2)

I think same should apply to "before".

esledge wrote:
I'm reluctant to chime in on this one because I believe there are a couple of transcription errors in the original post (for example, a comma missing in B and the end of the sentence is missing in the given sentence). I'm relying more on the BTG post linked above. Plus, I think it is odd that the name George Eliot is used twice, not because of redundancy, but because of inaccuracy. Before the author became known as George Eliot, she (by definition of "before"!) was not referred to as George Eliot. In case you were wondering, she was known as Mary Anne Evans originally (thanks Wikipedia!).

But all that aside, A is better than D because the commas around George Eliot are incorrect, or at least debatable. "Known as" may be wordier, but it is more correct.

For example:
The popular and often-quoted author Mark Twain lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during his formative years. CORRECT.
The popular and often-quoted author known as Mark Twain lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during his formative years. CORRECT.
The popular and often-quoted author, Mark Twain, lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during his formative years. INCORRECT (or at least less correct).

Some might argue that his name is parenthetical, and the sentence is grammatically complete as "The popular and often-quoted author lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during ...." They'd be right. But it's tough to make the case that the name of this author is optional/unimportant/less important than the generic subject "author."

The real GMAT would make all 4 wrong answers more definitively wrong than that, in my opinion.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 20

Re: George Eliot [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 21:13
nusmavrik wrote:
When / Before -----> clauses DONT need past perfect for sequencing. So A is wrong.

Should be simple past.

OA should be D. I am convinced. :-D

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with 'had been' because I can see 2 action items in sequence:
1. She was doing a writer job anonymously
2. She became popular.

So 'had been' with the first action seems to be appropriate.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 20

Re: George Eliot [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 21:17
This post received
KUDOS
nusmavrik wrote:
esledge

Thanks for the explanation. But why is past perfect used in A? It could have been simple past e.g.

Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she was ---> not "had been". Before does the sequencing on the time line.

An example of this is "when" clauses. We know that past perfect is used to sequence two past events. But the exception is "when" clauses. When clauses happen first when both clauses are in simple past tense.

When I paid her one-dollar (1) , she answered my question. (2)
event (1) happened before event (2)

I think same should apply to "before".

esledge wrote:

For example:

As far as I understand, rule that is applicable for 'when' is not applicable for 'before'. 'when' clearly shows two incidents happening immediately, but 'before' does not signify the immediate sequencing.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: George Eliot [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 08:56
Chembeti wrote:
As far as I understand, rule that is applicable for 'when' is not applicable for 'before'. 'when' clearly shows two incidents happening immediately, but 'before' does not signify the immediate sequencing.

Agreed :)
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 10:20
yeah..i too believe there is some prob with the Qn...

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 92

Re: George Eliot [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 06:36
This post received
KUDOS
esledge wrote:

For example:

What about the tense difference between A and D?

Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she had been an anonymous translator and essayist
(B) Before she had been the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot she was
(C) George Eliot has been popular and respected novelist, George Eliot after such time as she was
(D) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot,she was
(E) George Eliot, before she was the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, had been

If A is right in this then what about this question:

In the minds of many people living in England, before Australia was Australia, it was the antipodes, the opposite pole to civilization, an obscure and unimaginable place that was considered the end of the world.
(A) before Australia was Australia, it was the antipodes
(B) before there was Australia, it was the antipodes
(C) it was the antipodes that was Australia
(D) Australia was what was the antipodes
(E) Australia was what had been known as the antipodes

Then past perfect should be used in this question also. (Since it had been antipodes before it was Australia.)
Re: George Eliot   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2013, 06:36