Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before M.S. Dhoni won the world cup for India, he was fairly

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 23

Reviews Badge
Before M.S. Dhoni won the world cup for India, he was fairly [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 20:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (01:05) correct 47% (00:51) wrong based on 15 sessions
Before M.S. Dhoni won the world cup for India, he was fairly poor.

A) won the world cup for India, he was fairly poor.
B) had won the world cup for India, he was fairly poor.
C) won the world cup for India, he had been fairly poor.
D) won the world cup for India, he were a poor to a fair extent.
E) wins the world cup for India, he had been fairly poor.

Please pour in your thoughts :!:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 116 [1] , given: 13

Re: Use of perfect tense with before/after [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 20:41
This post received
KUDOS
yogesh1984 wrote:

Its C
the rule is 'We use the Past Perfect Continuous to show that something started in the past and continued up until another time in the past'

Dhoni was poor till he won the world cup .. It says all the while from his childhood... till he won the WC , he was fairly poor and things changed after WC. Both these events are in the past but one before the other.One he being fairly poor continued till he won the WC.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

Re: Use of perfect tense with before/after [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 21:19
The simple past + past perfect rule (where simple past indicates an action which happened in a moment in the past, and past perfect indicates another action which was completed even before this later moment in the past) can be applied here.
dhoni won the world cup : simple past, the action happened in past
had been poor: past perfect: the action of being fairly poor was even befoe the past action of winning the world cup. hence past perfect is correct form being used here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Use of perfect tense with before/after [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 00:51
All said about rules, my query is- presense of before itself gives the idea of time sequence then why we need to add had to show the time sequence ?

if I remeber it correctly something on similar lines is mentioned on MGMAT SC book as well...

Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

Re: Use of perfect tense with before/after [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 01:58
Yes, even i read about the same saying that we need not use perfect tenses when BEFORE or AFTER are mentioned to explain the sequence of events..
Verbal Experts- Please explain

Thanks
LC
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: Use of perfect tense with before/after [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 02:27
The rule says that when the words before and after are used we don't need to use past perfect tense to clarify the sequence of events. The answer for this question seems to not adhere to this rule??? Are there any exceptions to this rule? Someone plz explain...
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 953 [0], given: 376

Re: Use of perfect tense with before/after [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 02:48
yogesh1984 wrote:

sudhir18n's explanation makes perfect sense.

A) Before M.S. Dhoni won the world cup for India, he was fairly poor.
This is not grammatically incorrect, but perhaps doesn't convey what it intends to. This sentence tells us that Dhoni was poor, then after few years(say 20 years) he won the world cup and became rich. So, we don't know the clear picture of the 20 years between him being poor AND him winning the cup. What was he during these 20 years-- rich, poor.

C) clears the doubt.
Dhoni was constantly poor until he won the World Cup. This continuous event prior to his win is correctly described by "had been". "was" doesn't describe the progressive too well.

Not to confuse you, but in reality, Dhoni actually got richer much before winning the WC, thus raising a doubt which statement to choose. Also, "A" and "C" both seem correct for someone who doesn't know who is Dhoni. Whether he was poor until the win or poor long before winning the WC.

Not GMAT like.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Use of perfect tense with before/after [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 03:02
fluke wrote:
Not to confuse you, but in reality, Dhoni actually got richer much before winning the WC, thus raising a doubt which statement to choose. Also, "A" and "C" both seem correct for someone who doesn't know who is Dhoni. Whether he was poor until the win or poor long before winning the WC.

Not GMAT like.

here I do not think anyone is supposed to know him personally or for the matter does GMAC requires so ? I doubt! What I understand with this original sentence is- it's trying to say 2 time period one before WC win and other one after the win (which is clear with the original one...no?). on the second thought in C- we are assuming he has been constantly poor- not given unless you know factually but does not it distorts the original sentence ?

Fluke I was referring to T20 WC win by the way!

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 953 [0], given: 376

Re: Use of perfect tense with before/after [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 03:38
yogesh1984 wrote:
fluke wrote:

Not GMAT like.

here I do not think anyone is supposed to know him personally or for the matter does GMAC requires so ? I doubt! What I understand with this original sentence is- it's trying to say 2 time period one before WC win and other one after the win (which is clear with the original one...no?). on the second thought in C- we are assuming he has been constantly poor- not given unless you know factually but does not it distorts the original sentence ?

Fluke I was referring to T20 WC win by the way!

Yeah, even I meant T20 WC. But, that's beyond the point. I'd still consider this sentence ambiguous.

Firstly, we can't completely deduce the intent from the underlined portion of the sentence because the underlined portion can change tenses and tone. Secondly, "C" gives an alternate scenario that's perfectly possible.

So far I know which tense to use in which scenario, I'm not going to dig any further into what author intended when she created this question.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Use of perfect tense with before/after [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 04:18
Fair enough Fluke :)

Re: Use of perfect tense with before/after   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2011, 04:18