Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden School of Business (Class of 2012)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 09:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly in small ammounts from the glands.

c) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed

d) learning how to make a synthethic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly

Pls. someone who can explain the correct choice, tks.!!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: SC growth hormone [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 10:15
D for me. The meaning of "to synthesize growth hormone" is different from " a synthetic growth hormone".
Manager
Manager

Re: SC growth hormone [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 10:19
Guys I added all the aswer choices. Pls. someone who can explain the correct choice, tks!!

Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly in small ammounts from the glands.

b) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly

c) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed

d) learning how to make a synthethic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly

e) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC growth hormone [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 10:21
lordw wrote:

Pls. someone who can explain the correct choice, tks.!!

In C, the use of passive voice in the main clause "it had to be..." is awkward, I think. And also, the main clause should be "scientists had to remove it..".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Re: SC growth hormone [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 12:14
"Before learning how to make a synthethic growth hormone" in D is correctly modifying the scientists and hence (D).

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC growth hormone [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 13:19
both C and D look gramatically correct, but D is in active voice, therefore I pick D (GMAT does not like passive voice is all over prep books)
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 1

Re: SC growth hormone [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 16:59
lordw wrote:
Guys I added all the aswer choices. Pls. someone who can explain the correct choice, tks!!

b) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly

c) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed passive

e) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed passive

Choice A --> the sentence is awkward and incomplete

I pick D

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Manager
Manager

Re: SC growth hormone [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 08:52
Guys the OA is C !!!!!!!! (source Gmat Prep software)
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

Re: SC growth hormone [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 09:57
I don't understand why D is wrong? is that ||sm in C?
Manager
Manager

Re: SC growth hormone [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 11:58
May be the problem with D is that "learning" could be wrong.

"Before scientists learned" is better than "Before learning___, scientists", as the sentence is in the past tense. The modifier learning could be wrong because it is referring to something done in the past.

If this qualifies as a gramatical mistake it makes sense that C is correct, although C uses passive voice is the only correct grammar choice.
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 1

Re: SC growth hormone [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 19:51

d) learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly

could it be the red portions ???

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC growth hormone [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 22:40
This question is testing the knowledge of tense - how to use past participle and past tense together to demonstrate the chronological sequence of actions.

Kick GMAT ass

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC growth hormone [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 07:37
my choice is C although d looks grammatically correct but use of learning in d is incorrect wrt to the tense of entire sentence
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

Re: SC growth hormone [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 09:00
lordw wrote:

e) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed

I think it's clearly C.
My logic:
A, B, D all imply the synthetic growth hormone is removed from the glands. This is impossible, since the only growth hormone in the glands is the natural one, not the synthetic one.

That leaves C, E; of which E seems OK but doesn't really have a clear subject (who is removing the growth hormone?), therefore only C is left - which has OK grammar as is.
Re: SC growth hormone   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2008, 09:00