Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [2] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 18:09
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

43% (01:53) correct 57% (01:12) wrong based on 103 sessions
11. Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly in small amounts from the pituitary glands of human cadavers.

A. scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly
B. scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly
C. scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed
D. learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly
E. Learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it have to be painstakingly removed by scientists

Between C and E - which one is correct , please provide proper explanation

Always tag your question

Last edited by ichha148 on 16 Jan 2010, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: synthetic growth harmone [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 19:42
Answer is D IMO. In C, scientist should be plural. In E, 'it have' is not correct.

OA?
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: synthetic growth harmone [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 09:03
Expert's post
I pick C. For D, the sentence implies that scientists extracted synthetic growth hormone, not naturally occurring growth hormone, from human bodies. This, I think, changes the meaning.

The only thing strange about C is the word "the" preceding "growth hormone." I suppose that if the sentence is referring to a specific growth hormone, then it's okay.

But isn't "scientists" plural in C? Maybe it was edited later. :)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: synthetic growth harmone [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 13:38
you are correct , synthetic can not be used as something synthetic can not be extracted from humans

also , after reading question , i understand that E is wrong because E uses have instead of had

OA:C

Always tag your question

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: synthetic growth harmone [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 20:16
i voted for D as well... but u do have a point.. that it alters the meaning.. scientists cant extract synthetic growth hormone..

what is the real answer? pls post.
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: synthetic growth harmone [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 09:23
bmillan01 wrote:
I pick C. For D, the sentence implies that scientists extracted synthetic growth hormone, not naturally occurring growth hormone, from human bodies. This, I think, changes the meaning.

The only thing strange about C is the word "the" preceding "growth hormone." I suppose that if the sentence is referring to a specific growth hormone, then it's okay.

But isn't "scientists" plural in C? Maybe it was edited later. :)

Yep, looks like it was edited. Now C makes sense.
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, IIMs

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: synthetic growth harmone [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2011, 02:22
IMO :C, Earlier I picked B but after understanding the mearning of synthetic and synthesize, I picked C

Cheers!!

If you find my posts useful, Appreciate me with the kudos!! +1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: synthetic growth harmone [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2011, 15:33
I picked C....meaning is clearer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 15

Re: synthetic growth harmone [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 05:13
I agree with 'C'.

A,B and D are out for redundancy. E has messed up tenses.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: synthetic growth harmone [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 07:37
IMO C

A,B,D can be ruled out because it uses the term "A synthetic growth hormone " and uses "it " later on , implying that the synthetic growth hormone had to be extracted , which makes no sense .

E - The tense is wrong .

Only C brings out the meaning clearly
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: synthetic growth harmone [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 01:33
ichha148 wrote:
11. Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly in small amounts from the pituitary glands of human cadavers.

A. scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly
B. scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly
C. scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed
D. learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly
E. Learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it have to be painstakingly removed by scientists

IMO D. Present participle modifier issue here. D correctly addresses is it by placing "scientists" at the beginning of 2nd clause.

C- no clear referent for pronoun "it"
B- learned about making is awkward.
A- no clear referent for pronoun "it"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: synthetic growth harmone [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 01:35
immaculatesahai wrote:
ichha148 wrote:

IMO D. Present participle modifier issue here. D correctly addresses is it by placing "scientists" at the beginning of 2nd clause.

C- no clear referent for pronoun "it"
B- learned about making is awkward.
A- no clear referent for pronoun "it"

I went through the answers and realized my above post is wrong. D is obviously incorrect because of meanining issues. C wins.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 09:51
For People who are still confused between C and D , the catch here is the difference between "make a synthetic growth harmone" and " synthesize the growth hormone". So as a result , in C "it" refers to the "growth harmone". In D "it" refers to the synthetic growth harmone. So meaningwise it is wrong. Scientists cannot remove a synthetic growth harmone. Hope i did my best in understanding the context.
Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2013, 09:51