Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 17:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: SC: tense. [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 18:02
I agree with you that "had been" implies an action completed before another past time. That is actually what is happening in this situation. The town was something before the storm. The town completed being this way when the storm came and destroyed much of the harbor. This is why I think E is the best answer.

TheGmatTutor wrote:
It's a choice between A and E. For answer A, "had been", the use of the past perfect tense implies an action completed before another past time. I believe that is grammatically incorrect in this case. The simple past tense "was" is a better choice.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Re: SC: tense. [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 20:53
jallenmorris wrote:
I agree with you that "had been" implies an action completed before another past time. That is actually what is happening in this situation. The town was something before the storm. The town completed being this way when the storm came and destroyed much of the harbor. This is why I think E is the best answer.

Did you mean to say you believe it is "A"?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: SC: tense. [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 05:05
Yes, I meant to say "I think A is the best answer." Maybe subconsciously I actually think E ;-)
TheGmatTutor wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:

Did you mean to say you believe it is "A"?

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

Re: SC: tense. [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 03:21
A/E

Looks like this question has been discussed many times in different forums, even after OA is given. No explanation really settles it.

This could be an ideal case to discuss Whether to use "Had Been," because another time tag 'before' is mentioned.
I picked A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 09:15
wrong question.

when there is marker which makes clear the sequence of 2 actions, both had done and di is good.
here "before" is maker and we can use A or C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

Re: Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 21:03
I guess A and E would both make sense. Nothing to differentiate here

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:27
It is a clear usage of "Past pefect". There was one event that happened before another event and both were in past.

Hence, A makes a better answer!

One Last Shot

Manager
Manager

Re: SC had been or was ? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:29
icandy wrote:
ssandeepan wrote:
Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, with its sandy beaches and multiple opportunities for sports, had been one of the most popular resort destinations on the East Coast.

A ) had been
B ) has been
C ) had been being
D ) was being
E ) was

When ever there are two events such that both events have started in the past and one event occurred before the other we need past perfect and past tense. The storm destroyed is past tense and we need past perfect to show that this had been a popular resort for long time.

had been is correct.

Had Been - Is it past perfect or past perfect continuous.

I am slightly confused between A and E, but apply my limited knowledge, i certainly believe the answer is A. Can someone kindly post the OA. This question has been asked in multiple forums but i cant see the OA anywhere!

One Last Shot

Manager
Manager

Re: SC- storm [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:32
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
I guess this one is not well written question. I saw same type in Kaplan book and Kaplan strictly used past perfect in this scenario. If some questions were deviated from standard books such as kaplan, MGMAT SC, it would be preferable to say NO :no to those questions.

You cant say NO to a GMAT question. You will have to make an educated guess (worst case scenario)

Had Been - Is it past perfect or past perfect continuous.

I am slightly confused between A and E, but apply my limited knowledge, i certainly believe the answer is A. Can someone kindly post the OA. This question has been asked in multiple forums but i cant see the OA anywhere!

One Last Shot

Re: SC- storm   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2013, 04:32