Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 23:21
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

54% (01:19) correct 46% (00:22) wrong based on 67 sessions
Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, with its sandy beaches and multiple opportunities for sports, had been one of the most popular resort destinations on the East Coast.

* had been
* has been
* had been being
* was being
* was

[Reveal] Spoiler:
What is the problem in A ? Because I think past perfect is necessary as by using simple past distorts the meaning
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 07:29
angel2009 wrote:
Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, with its sandy beaches and multiple opportunities for sports, had been one of the most popular resort destinations on the East Coast.

* had been
* has been
* had been being
* was being
* was

[Reveal] Spoiler:
What is the problem in A ? Because I think past perfect is necessary as by using simple past distorts the meaning

Simple past was required, because we don't know whether the town was one of the most popular resort for a period of time or just at the time when the strom destroyed.
If the sentence were to say that, the town had been most popular resort until strom destroyed. then use of Had been is correct.

Experts please correct me If I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 10:44
angel2009 wrote:

* had been
* has been
* had been being
* was being
* was

Before in the sentence already maintains the time sequence and we dont need the past perfect to define time sequence. A simple past will do as we already know that from the word before.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 06:26
Good catch Chix475ntu ... before is already there!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 20:45
chix475ntu wrote:
angel2009 wrote:

* had been
* has been
* had been being
* was being
* was

Before in the sentence already maintains the time sequence and we dont need the past perfect to define time sequence. A simple past will do as we already know that from the word before.

Hi chix475ntu, Where did you read that when "before" is there in the sentence, the earlier sentence need not to be past perfect.

See an example at http://www.monash.edu.au/lls/llonline/g ... se/3.3.xml

Before the installation of the new line, productivity had been very low.

The above sentence uses past perfect for earlier event that occurred in the past. How will you explain what you are saying?

Consider kudos for good post.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 08:35
Sorry to start an old thread. Can someone comment on this pls?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 33

Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 09:51
I need explanation on this one too.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 20

Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 10:26
angel2009 wrote:

* had been
* has been
* had been being
* was being
* was

[Reveal] Spoiler:

i think this sentence can go either way because the use of both past perfect and simple past makes sense depending on how we understand the sentence...
Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town had been one of the most popular resort destinations on the east coast.. meaning, normally, as one would analyze the sentence that the town was popular before it was destroyed by harbor... importance is on 'before the destruction of the harbor'

Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town was one of the most popular resort destinations on the east coast ... i think here the importance is on 'popular resort destinations'... and not on the 'destruction'

what is the source?

some of the previous post said because of use of 'before' sentence is using simple past, i dont think thats a right statement, read this page for some examples -
http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pastperfect.html
Manager
Manager

Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 10:32
I saw this in GMAT club verbal tests.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kelley,Tepper,Carlson,Kenan Flager,Broad
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 10:37
Manhattan's rule for using Past Perfect:

1. Past Perfect is used to clarify or emphasize a sequence of past events. The earlier event should somehow have a bearing on the context of the later event.
2. The words "before" and "after" indicate the sequence of events clearly and emphatically enough to make the use of the Past Perfect unnecessary.

angel2009 wrote:

* had been
* has been
* had been being
* was being
* was

Before here clearly indicates the sequence of events. Town was most popular and then storm destroyed the town.
Hence use of HAD BEEN is unwarranted in this situation. Simple Past Tense will should be used.

OA E.

My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.

Manager
Manager

Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 10:41
agdimple333 wrote:
angel2009 wrote:

* had been
* has been
* had been being
* was being
* was

[Reveal] Spoiler:

i think this sentence can go either way because the use of both past perfect and simple past makes sense depending on how we understand the sentence...
Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town had been one of the most popular resort destinations on the east coast.. meaning, normally, as one would analyze the sentence that the town was popular before it was destroyed by harbor... importance is on 'before the destruction of the harbor'

Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town was one of the most popular resort destinations on the east coast ... i think here the importance is on 'popular resort destinations'... and not on the 'destruction'

what is the source?

some of the previous post said because of use of 'before' sentence is using simple past, i dont think thats a right statement, read this page for some examples -

I still don't understand why you need progression in this sentence. You might need progression in a sentence in which ranking is maintained--for example, Australia had maintained 1st rank in the test cricket before India took over. However, question above has a very general statement "one of the most popular resort destinations", not even "The most popular resort destination". I still can't figure out the reason for "had been" in this sentence, but I can in most of the sentences in the link you sent.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Manager
Manager

Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 10:58
sgupta0827 wrote:
agdimple333 wrote:
angel2009 wrote:

* had been
* has been
* had been being
* was being
* was

[Reveal] Spoiler:

what is the source?

I still don't understand why you need progression in this sentence. You might need progression in a sentence in which ranking is maintained--for example, Australia had maintained 1st rank in the test cricket before India took over. However, question above has a very general statement "one of the most popular resort destinations", not even "The most popular resort destination". I still can't figure out the reason for "had been" in this sentence, but I can in most of the sentences in the link you sent.

I think example is not correct in the above post. Here is a better example:
Australia had been 1st in rank in the test cricket before India took over.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 05:00
i took A, thank for explanation.
NOw i think the correct is E

Tricky one
Manager
Manager

Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 05:08
jamifahad wrote:

1. Past Perfect is used to clarify or emphasize a sequence of past events. The earlier event should somehow have a bearing on the context of the later event.
2. The words "before" and "after" indicate the sequence of events clearly and emphatically enough to make the use of the Past Perfect unnecessary.

angel2009 wrote:

* had been
* has been
* had been being
* was being
* was

Before here clearly indicates the sequence of events. Town was most popular and then storm destroyed the town.
Hence use of HAD BEEN is unwarranted in this situation. Simple Past Tense will should be used.

OA E.

I am using GMATclub's Ultimate grammar book which has specified the following rule:

Before+subject+simple past+subject+past perfect.
So clearly, there seems to be difference of opinion on whether or not to use past perfect in 2nd part of sentence if 1st part contains before.

Another point is that had been is past perfect continuous and not past perfect.

I still think that this sentence is debatable.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 10:23
Chetangupta wrote:
jamifahad wrote:

angel2009 wrote:

* had been
* has been
* had been being
* was being
* was

OA E.

I am using GMATclub's Ultimate grammar book which has specified the following rule:

Before+subject+simple past+subject+past perfect.
So clearly, there seems to be difference of opinion on whether or not to use past perfect in 2nd part of sentence if 1st part contains before.

Another point is that had been is past perfect continuous and not past perfect.

I still think that this sentence is debatable.

Hi Chetan,
This is not past perfect continuous because Been here is used as form of "to be". The participle of "to be" is been.

Hi Friends,
Does it matter if I would add some definite time period with first part of sentence.
Ex. "Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor yesterday" or "Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor in 1984"

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Manager
Manager

Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 10:49
rphardu wrote:
Hi Chetan,
This is not past perfect continuous because Been here is used as form of "to be". The participle of "to be" is been.

Hi Friends,
Does it matter if I would add some definite time period with first part of sentence.
Ex. "Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor yesterday" or "Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor in 1984"

As per you, this is not past perfect continuous tense. Let's say if you were to create past perfect continuous for this, how would you create? Storm had been been most popular? I think it's a past perfect continuous tense.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 07:32
Quote:

Is it a real thing ? I mean, from my understanding, it does not matter whether the sequence of events is already clear or not, as a grammatical rule you SHOULD use past perfect to refer to an event which happens before another one and both events are somehow related. I think had been is perfectly correct here, and as it is the original sentence I don't see why we should change it. Any expert insight on this one ?
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 812 [0], given: 82

Re: Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 09:02
Expert's post
Darmody wrote:
Quote:

Is it a real thing ? I mean, from my understanding, it does not matter whether the sequence of events is already clear or not, as a grammatical rule you SHOULD use past perfect to refer to an event which happens before another one and both events are somehow related. I think had been is perfectly correct here, and as it is the original sentence I don't see why we should change it. Any expert insight on this one ?

Hi Darmody,

I too had the same doubt; everyone says that we should use past perfect verb when we want to express an event that happened before another event. I came across such sentence and was surprised.

However, it is a real thing. Past perfect tense is used to indicate such a past action, but if the meaning of the sentence clearly marks such a sequence then the use of past perfect would be considered as redundant (or in other words less preferred). Such a sentence would be grammatically correct, but if you have an answer choice without the past perfect then that would be the better one. I have not really seen an official question which tests this exception, however it could be tested, so, just make a note of this rule.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 09:27
Hi Vercules and thanks for your answer :)

What I thought of the rule you are talking about is that it applied in the case we are talking about two past event that are not directly logically connected or in the case where the sequence of action is irrelevant to the idea we want to express, example (taken from MGMAT verbal book)

Antonio drove to the store and bought some ice cream.

I completely agree that here the past perfect is not necessary as the sequence of events is completely pointless for understanding the overall meaning of the sentence. On the other side in our sentence:

Here the sequence of action is completely relevant: the city was a popular destination until the storm which cause it to stop.

But I understand the fact that the sequence is clear because of the word "before" even though I find this question really tricky :)
Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 751 [0], given: 800

Re: tense related [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 10:21
Expert's post
jamifahad wrote:

angel2009 wrote:

* had been
* has been
* had been being
* was being
* was

OA E.

Apart from the above there are more other situations mentioned in MGMT guide in which use of past perfect is not required even when two actions have occurred in the past and one before the other.
1. If both the actions are performed by the same subject OR if the time sequence is already obvious then we do not require past perfect.
e.g. Antonio drove to the store and bought some icecream
2. Main clauses linked by AND or BUT do not require the past perfect. The reason is that in such case we are not emphasizing the order or time sequence here.
e.g. Antonio drove to the store and Cristina bought some icecream

Regards,

Abhijit

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Re: tense related   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2013, 10:21