Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before you actually start with the prep....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 16

Before you actually start with the prep.... [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 23:41
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Guys,

For a long time now , I have been searching and collecting good books / tests for verbal / quant.
I wanted to be ready with the material before I actually start preparing and start with my plan.

I have had discussions with some of the senior members of this forum and they were very very supportive.
I took GmatPrep last week and scored 620 (49 , 27) , clearly I need some serious prep for verbal.

I have decided , rather started with below plan.
Please have a look if it helps:

Phase 1 : Collect material from websites / friends / buy some famous stuff. This is just random collection of the material from websites Or the very specific books which you know you will need for preparation . (OG / Manhattan SC)

Phase 2 : Take diagnostic test. I preferred GmatPrep. Go through all the answers , find the problem area. It is not necessary that you will be able to find it exactly in this phase . For example in my case , I got 18 incorrect in Verbal in the GmatPrep . approx. 6 incorrect in CR / SC / RC. So , evenif I know that I need to work on verbal , I don’t know if I should focus on SC /RC / CR. Maybe , I will find it soon in the next phases.

Phase 3 : Based on the problem area you have noticed , go through the available material. If necessary buy few more books. Selecting the best material is crucial phase and many books focus on the specific area and are famous for those (for example Manhattan is famous for SC , for CR many use Powerscore). Decide the amount of material you are planning to study from. (This majorly depends on how much time you have , how many months? How much time daily you are planning to put in?).

Phase 4 : Device a study schedule. This is very important as you don’t want to waste time studying something not so important and run short of time studying something you should do first.
I have divided my study plan in 3 sub-phases.
Sub – phase1:Major stress on the concept books and daily practice. Start with a good blend of the concepts and the practice examples. I am going to use practice material which is not so tough also I am not going to time my practice in this sub phase. Spend most of the time understanding the mistakes / tricks / short methods / strong areas / weak areas . Know yourself , see how good you are at Gmat. Analyze thoroughly any test you write.

Sub – phase2: Start timing the practice you do . Use the amazing tools walker has developed .They are very good. No bugs , nice way to keep a track of the study progress. Start using some difficult material like MGMAT / KAPLAN .Start increasing the number of the problems you take daily. Keep a good track of the errors you make. Keep on revising the notes you have made so far . Go through the books you have noticed once in a while . Analyze thoroughly any test you write.

Sub – phase3: Start taking more tests per week .Take some stress tests , maybe 2 on weekends. Analyze thoroughly any test you write.

Below are the books I am going to use during my preparation.

I. Verbal
1. Manhattan SC (Concept Book)
2. Manhattan CR Or Powerscore CR Bible (Concept Book)
3. Official Guide 11 (Practice book)
4. Official Guide 10 (Practice book)
5. Official Guide Verbal Review
6. PR Verbal Workout.(Good for RC)
7. 1000 Series
II. Quant :
1. Manhattan Quant series (Concept Book)
2. Official Guide 11 (Practice book)
3. Official Guide 10 (Practice book)
4. Official Guide Quantitative Review
III. Tests:
1. GmatPrep(2)
2. GmatClub challanges
3. KAPLAN(4)
4. MGMAT
5. Paper Test sets 21- 30

My target score is 750.
I scored 620 in the first Gmat I ever wrote (Gmatprep).

The plan looks impressive.
It will be interesting to check if I can follow it till the G-day and if I will reach the 750 mark (improvement of another 150 points.)

Sorry for such a long post.:)
Please let me know if it helps , please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Lahoosaher

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9438 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Before you actually start with the prep.... [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 09:02
Expert's post
How long are you planning to prep?

Just in case wanted to point you to this post that had a similar question:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/t74310-recommendations-for-best-gmat-prep-books

Also, if you find anything useful, please post it in this thread - other members would benefit significantly from having a central space for content.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 16

Re: Before you actually start with the prep.... [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 00:17
I am planning to prep for 10 weeks .
I am already down 1 week.

I will surely update if I find any book helpful or if any book is not so good..
As always , thanks a lot for your links...

Lahoosaher

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Before you actually start with the prep.... [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2009, 02:08
IT was good information provided by you. It really helped me plan my Prep. I have joined a course which lasts for almost 6 weeks .
Please guide me how to start with Verbal. I am really out of help on this
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 16

Re: Before you actually start with the prep.... [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 13:53
This post received
KUDOS
To start with , I think you should use below stuff for verbal:
1. SC : Manhattan SC.

I am done with this book but surely re-visit every weekend.
The right way to work with this book is , after you have finished the chapter , go to the mentioned problems in the OG and check if you are able to identify the different types.
Its a great book , you will enjoy it.

2. CR : PowerScore CR.
I have'nt heard a lot about this book ; however I found it very usefull.
It is good book if you are not a native english speaker OR you have not taken GMAT / LSAT / CAT before.
The right way to work with this book is , DO NOT spend a lot of time on the topics you think you already know , first 3 chapters are introductory and you must keep your pace at max level if you dont wish to waste a lot of time.
DO NOT hesitate to throw away this book if its too simple for you or you know almost everything.

3. RC : Journals , Books , podcasts.

This portion is real fun , I have downloaded iTUNES on my office machine and I listen to all the radio stations , I read WSJ daily . I hope this will improve RC.
i hate reading books , however I have a link which lists some good books , please have a look..

t76079-books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read

Lahoosaher

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Before you actually start with the prep.... [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 15:29
Expert's post
You may also want to take a look at this listing: Listing of Top 20 Best GMAT Books recommended by GMAT Club members
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p576892-top-20-best-gmat-books-on-gmat-club

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Re: Before you actually start with the prep.... [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 18:02
My education was in English and we speak English at office mode of communication is also english as we deal with clients in US.
But when see the SC questions , i am totally blanked out.(Not able to find the difference when to use Have or Had) I am not able to figure out what to do next. Do you people suggest me to take some grammer classes on english ,so that i can imporve ? Please suggest me as i am in a helpless situation on this Verbal.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Before you actually start with the prep.... [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 19:23
Expert's post
KajayK wrote:
My education was in English and we speak English at office mode of communication is also english as we deal with clients in US.
But when see the SC questions , i am totally blanked out.(Not able to find the difference when to use Have or Had) I am not able to figure out what to do next. Do you people suggest me to take some grammer classes on english ,so that i can imporve ? Please suggest me as i am in a helpless situation on this Verbal.

Have you done your TOEFL preparation? I found a lot of TOEFL materials help get the SC up to standards and actually go far back enough for most international students to get plenty of solid answers. So I would recommend these books in the following order:
1. Cliff's TOEFL Book with a large section dedicated to grammar

2. Kaplan Verbal Workbook or Manhattan GMAT SC or Powerscore SC

I would probably guess the TOEFL book will take a month and the other ones about 1-2 weeks since the rest will be pretty easy and familiar.
The TOEFL book is outdated, but the grammar section works very well, still.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: Before you actually start with the prep.... [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 21:03
Thank a lot for the info. I will start my preparation and tell you my improvements. This forum is really helpful.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 9438 [1] , given: 3701

Re: Before you actually start with the prep.... [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 21:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
KajayK wrote:
Thank a lot for the info. I will start my preparation and tell you my improvements. This forum is really helpful.

Please do! Many members are in the same shoes with SC.

Almost forgot, take a look at our all-time Top 20 GMAT Books List:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/t76582-top-20-best-gmat-books-on-gmat-club

Founder of GMAT Club

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 16

Re: Before you actually start with the prep.... [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 12:26
KajayK wrote:

This is not new when you are not aware of the problem type / question format.

I think , before actually looking at the problems (SC / CR) one should learn the basics and know what actually a CR / SC queston is , what it is asking a student to do.

manhattan SC / Powerscore CR are the best books to address this problem.
spend some time on these books , dont hurry. (If you finish these books in hurry , you will have to rivisit them anyway :))

Lahoosaher

Intern
Intern

Re: Before you actually start with the prep.... [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 23:35
In process of preparation with all your inputs. Hope i will be posting a positive reply next time .
Thanks for your inputs
Re: Before you actually start with the prep....   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2009, 23:35