Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 12:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Befuddled!! Kaplan CATS Premier 2010-2011

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Befuddled!! Kaplan CATS Premier 2010-2011 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 20:28
Hi

I was hoping through this email to get some guidance/ explanation to the score I have received from my CAT tests. The breakdown is:

CAT 1: 640 (42,39)

CAT 2: 680 (52,30 )

CAT 3: 740 (53,42)

GMATPrep1: 690

CAT 4: 640 (42,37)

How should i interpret these results? My GMAT is in 4 weeks. I plan to sit the MGMAT CATs and GMAT Prep 2 in the coming weeks. Is is still possible to hit 750?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1118

Kudos [?]: 5071 [0], given: 164

Re: Befuddled!! Kaplan CATS Premier 2010-2011 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 21:27
Expert's post
vashistvikas wrote:
Hi

I was hoping through this email to get some guidance/ explanation to the score I have received from my CAT tests. The breakdown is:

CAT 1: 640 (42,39)

CAT 2: 680 (52,30 )

CAT 3: 740 (53,42)

GMATPrep1: 690

CAT 4: 640 (42,37)

How should i interpret these results? My GMAT is in 4 weeks. I plan to sit the MGMAT CATs and GMAT Prep 2 in the coming weeks. Is is still possible to hit 750?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

It seems that you are currently at 650 - 700 level. Your Q and V scores in the CATs are very varied so it is very hard to discern anything from them. Just treat the tests as practice and ignore the scores you get in them. What is your Q/V split in GMAT Prep test? That should give you a good idea of your current level of Q and V scores.
Hitting 750 in 4 weeks is possible but it will need a lot of effort. You need to give your split and the areas you are strong/weak in to get more pointed advice.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Befuddled!! Kaplan CATS Premier 2010-2011 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 22:07
Hi Karishma

My sincere thanks for your prompt reply. I would have shared the split between the quanta and verbal scores for GMAT prep but I cannot find them anywhere in the GMAT prep Test again. I saw them once only and the only thing I remember that is my verbal was in late 30s and quanta in early 40s. What do you suggest I should do?

I have studied all MGMAT books, Kaplan Guide, Kaplan 800, MGMAT Adv Quanta and Princeton Review. Currently I am going through verbal and Quant official review and then I intend to start OG 12. Is there any other practice material I should be prepare from?

I have realised that I regularly make about 4-6 silly errors in the quant section and have been running out of time in the section. For verbal I have been studying hard as well. I do not make that many silly mistakes (2-3) and am able to finish the section on time. So I guess these so called silly mistakes are killing me. They range from not reading questions properly, calculation errors to marking the wrong answer!!! How do you suggest to improve in this regard?

Thanks again so much for help!

Vikas
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1118

Kudos [?]: 5071 [0], given: 164

Re: Befuddled!! Kaplan CATS Premier 2010-2011 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 03:32
Expert's post
vashistvikas wrote:
Hi Karishma

My sincere thanks for your prompt reply. I would have shared the split between the quanta and verbal scores for GMAT prep but I cannot find them anywhere in the GMAT prep Test again. I saw them once only and the only thing I remember that is my verbal was in late 30s and quanta in early 40s. What do you suggest I should do?

I have studied all MGMAT books, Kaplan Guide, Kaplan 800, MGMAT Adv Quanta and Princeton Review. Currently I am going through verbal and Quant official review and then I intend to start OG 12. Is there any other practice material I should be prepare from?

I have realised that I regularly make about 4-6 silly errors in the quant section and have been running out of time in the section. For verbal I have been studying hard as well. I do not make that many silly mistakes (2-3) and am able to finish the section on time. So I guess these so called silly mistakes are killing me. They range from not reading questions properly, calculation errors to marking the wrong answer!!! How do you suggest to improve in this regard?

Thanks again so much for help!

Vikas

I doubt OG12 (or the guides) will be very useful to go from early 40s in Q to late 40s. (You can check out the last 50-100 questions if you like.) You need to practice from a book with more advanced word problems (Veritas has an advanced word problems book which gives you alternative solutions as well).

Rather than algebraic solutions, focus on logical solutions. They save you a lot of time.
Examples of using logical approach:
a-used-car-dealer-sold-one-car-at-a-profit-of-25-percent-of-67748.html?hilit=logical%20approach
train-speed-122154.html?hilit=logical%20approach
faster-approach-for-such-questions-117345.html?hilit=logical%20approach
Check out my blog for discussions on logical approaches.

Once you take care of your time issues, your 'silly mistakes' will automatically disappear since you will enough time to double check.

For Verbal, you need to figure out which question type isn't working for you. Since your score is in late 30s, my guess would be that you are fairly decent in 2 sections but not so good in one. Which is 'the one'? Some solid work on that should bump up your score by 3-4 points and that is essential to get the 750.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Befuddled!! Kaplan CATS Premier 2010-2011   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2012, 03:32