Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2573 [30]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [7]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [6]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Re: A discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact of [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO D

"there is/are" constructions are to be avoided as per GMAC...option C uses "there is"

ther must be more concrete reason as to why D is correct..but this is my way of looking at it :roll:

Originally posted by apoorvasrivastva on 17 Aug 2009, 11:11.
Last edited by apoorvasrivastva on 17 Aug 2009, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2573 [1]
Send PM
Re: A discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact of [#permalink]
Kudos
apoorvasrivastva wrote:
IMO D

"there is/are" constructions are to be avoided as per GMAC...option C uses "there is"

ther must be more concrete reason as to why D is correct..but this is my way of looking at it :roll:

are you sure where ever we get there is / are construction ..its wrong....Is this the only reason
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [5]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Kudos
rohansherry wrote:
apoorvasrivastva wrote:
IMO D

are you sure where ever we get there is / are construction ..its wrong....Is this the only reason

no there are exceptions to this rule as well...i think i happended to see a post today in which "there is/are" constrution was correct...i told you there shud be more concrete reason as to why D is correct

Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, there are many one-of-a-kind museums from Manhattan to the Bronx that are open for exploration on summer weekends.
(A) Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, there are
(B) Although dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups,
(C) Dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, but there are
(D) Dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, and there are also
(E) Devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, dozens of New York’s small museums and also

The OA for the above SC is D...which uses a there is construction..but the diction of the above SC needs a "there are" constructioin
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: *****A discussion of our nation’s foreign policy must [#permalink]
Kudos
A discussion of our nation’s foreign policy must begin with the fact of there being[/u] an independent Western Europe which now thinks of itself in trans-nationalist terms.

(A) A discussion of our nation’s foreign policy must begin with the fact of there being
Incorrect: Not positive, but the proper idiomatic phrase would be "the fact that"

(B) Beginning any discussion of our nation’s foreign policy must be the fact of there being
Incorrect: Same reasoning as choice A

(C) Any discussion of our nation’s foreign policy must begin with the fact that there is
Incorrect: Narrowed it down to this choice and choice D, but "the fact that there is" seems wordy

(D) Any discussion of our nation’s foreign policy must begin by acknowledging the existence of
Correct: This is less wordy than choice C. Is there any other reasoning for why D is better than C?

(E) To begin discussing our nation’s foreign policy thee must be an acknowledgment of the fact that[/quote]
Incorrect" Very wordy, the last part of this sentence is basically the last parts of choices C and D put together. Redundant
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 473 [2]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
Re: *****A discussion of our nation’s foreign policy must [#permalink]
Kudos
D sounds correct ; A discussion begins with acknowledging some thing not with a fact.

Consider: 1) meeting starts with a fact X, 2) meeting starts acknowledging something.

1 is not correct. When a meeting starts we can say okay we need to consider this matter but saying meeting starts with a fact...... is certainly ambiguous and wrong construction.

Originally posted by kraizada84 on 02 Apr 2012, 23:28.
Last edited by kraizada84 on 03 Apr 2012, 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [2]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: A discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin [#permalink]
Kudos
13. A discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact of there being an independent Western Europe which now thinks of itself in trans-nationalist terms.

A. A discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact of there being
B. Beginning any discussion of our nations foreign policy must be the fact of there being
C. Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact that there is
D. Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin by acknowledging the existence of
E. To begin discussing our nations foreign policy thee must be an acknowledgment of the fact that

meaning--when we discuss foreign policy we should acknowledge/take into consideration the existence of indp. Wstrn. europe...............
Quickest way to eliminate this would be -
'the fact of there being' / the fact that --only make the sentence verbose and are unnecessary when the same idea can be presented in a lot fewer words
there is a difference b/w -----''the fact that there is xxxxxxxx' and 'accepting/acknowledging that fact'
we can come to E and D directly
additionally there are modifier issues with b and being is almost always wrong
E -WRong meaning---------To begin discussing our nations foreign policy there must be an acknowledgment of the fact that
the original sentence doesn't indicate a causal relation and 'the fact ..' is redundant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Why can't c be correct, and the reason of d being correct is just acknowledgement of the fact , I want some other difference between c and d
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
rohansherry wrote:
A discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact of there being an independent Western Europe which now thinks of itself in trans-nationalist terms.

A. A discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact of there being

B. Beginning any discussion of our nations foreign policy must be the fact of there being

C. Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact that there is

D. Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin by acknowledging the existence of

E. To begin discussing our nations foreign policy thee must be an acknowledgment of the fact that

I see some confusion between C & D.
Let me give you my 2 cents.

Option C : Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact that there is
Now we have a fact. So what? What does that fact have to do with our discussion?
There are a lot of different facts.
An independent Western Europe which now thinks of itself in trans-nationalist terms is a fact.
Sun rises from the East is a fact.
Human needs oxygen to stay alive is also a fact.
This option only states a "fact" without mention any correlation of that fact with the sentence.
It might not be automatically wrong, but let us check another answer.

Option D : Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin by acknowledging the existence of
This one is much clearer.
The discussion must acknowledge an an independent Western Europe.
So now we know the meaning and significance of the "fact" within the whole sentence.
Therefore the answer is D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
Send PM
A discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact of [#permalink]
you cant discuss with the fact that!
Option C is wrong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Their is absolutely no problem (with the fact) or (by acknowledgement the)

the doubt with C is:

last 3 words, which makes it more confusing to understand the meaning of statement.

C. Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact (that) (there) (is) ..............(Which)

(that) - pronoun or determiner - used to identify a specific person or thing observed --- indicates to ??

(There) as a Noun+ is (Singular linking verb) - it refers to a particular place
or
(There) as an Adverb + is (Singular linking verb) - ??
or
(There) as an Adjective + is (Singular linking verb) - is sometimes used to modify a noun or pronoun
or
(There) as a Pronoun + is (Singular linking verb) - may also be used as a pronoun to introduce a noun or a phrase

D. Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin by acknowledging the existence of...
D option, makes simple sense by "the exisitence of an independent Western Europe.....which"

hope it makes sense :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts