Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [4] , given: 40

Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 11:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey Guys,

Many of you may be unaware of this information and many of you may be aware..

But anyways thought this is the right place for it as this is where the prospective people would start off with their quest for the new IR section.

These are the official 2011 GMAC Test Prep Summit (held at NYC) handouts... I think I found these somewhere on the internet, or maybe GMAT Club itself..

I'll add in the source reference if I stumble upon it again (or if some one is nice enough to point it to me)..

So...that's it!....check out the attachments...
Attachments

New GMAT Structure.pdf [2.05 MiB]
Downloaded 1075 times

To download please login or register as a user

NextGen GMAT.pdf [1.5 MiB]
Downloaded 978 times

KUDOS-ing does'nt cost you anything, but might just make someone's day!!!

"Musings of a Muddled Muggle Mind"
http://felinesmile.blogspot.in/
...comments Welcome :)

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 40

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 11:24
This post received
KUDOS
charlemagne wrote:
Hey Guys,

But anyways thought this is the right place for it as this is where the prospective people would start off with their quest for the new IR section.

These are the official 2011 GMAC Test Prep Summit (held at NYC) handouts... I think I found these somewhere on the internet, or maybe GMAT Club itself..

I'll add in the source reference if I stumble upon it again (or if some one is nice enough to point it to me)..

I coudnt seem to attach the third file in the original post....here it is...
Attachments

IR Info.pdf [880.45 KiB]
Downloaded 925 times

1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 70 [1] , given: 78731

CAT Tests
Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 20:18
This post received
KUDOS
charlemagne wrote:
charlemagne wrote:
Hey Guys,

Hey...Thanks a lot!

the others were nice, but this one here, hit the jackpot.!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 14

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 02:42
charlemagne wrote:
charlemagne wrote:
Hey Guys,

Good sources...kudos!!!

I am in love with the IR section. They ape the 'MBA' type reports that aspirants would find in b-schools. It's like a taste of the real thing. However, concepts like regression lines would be something test takers will have to familiarize themselves with.

Regards,

Shouvik.

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 40

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
Edvento wrote:
Good sources...kudos!!!

I am in love with the IR section. They ape the 'MBA' type reports that aspirants would find in b-schools. It's like a taste of the real thing. However, concepts like regression lines would be something test takers will have to familiarize themselves with.

Regards,

Shouvik.

Thanks Shouvik.

Why dont you share what you know about IR....

To start with what are regression lines? Tell me about it.

Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 697

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 01:13
Expert's post
Based on what I read on Mba.com nothing says about regression line. please tell us about this argument but with concrete link example and so on.

Otherwise would be concerned...

By the way I 'd have another question: is true that if you take 0 on IR this affects your quant score ?? is possible??

thanks

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Rotman School of Management - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 05:40
thanks a lot , for the docs charlemagne
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 40

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 17:36
carcass wrote:
Based on what I read on Mba.com nothing says about regression line. please tell us about this argument but with concrete link example and so on.

By the way I 'd have another question: is true that if you take 0 on IR this affects your quant score ?? is possible??

thanks

I think Regression line deals with just a type of questions to be asked in IR. May not be in the info available on mba.com

Also, per my information, IR scores are NOT going to be counted towards the Verbal, Quants, or the total GMAT score. It would be shared seperately (kinda like the AWA scores).

Any takers to certify the info?? Mods??

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 19:38
When do they plan on introducing the IR?
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3614

Kudos [?]: 28941 [0], given: 2871

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 20:48
Expert's post
charlemagne wrote:
carcass wrote:

thanks

I think Regression line deals with just a type of questions to be asked in IR. May not be in the info available on mba.com

Also, per my information, IR scores are NOT going to be counted towards the Verbal, Quants, or the total GMAT score. It would be shared seperately (kinda like the AWA scores).

Any takers to certify the info?? Mods??

IR will be separately scored from the rest of the GMAT, so it will not count towards your overall 200-800 score.

For more check: the-next-generation-gmat-gmat-integrated-reasoning-130224.html

MBADreamzzz wrote:
When do they plan on introducing the IR?

The GMAT Integrated Reasoning section is a new section on the GMAT, and will be introduced on June 5th, 2012. Instead of making test takers suffer even longer, GMAC, the writers of the GMAT, have decided to replace one of the essays with the Integrated Reasoning section.

As the section implies there is a fair amount of reasoning involved – most will be quant-based, though there will be some verbal-based reasoning as well.

Here are some important points to keep in mind:

* You must answer a question before moving on
* Once you answer a question you can’t go back to it
* A graph or prompt may have multiple questions
* You will have 30 minutes to do 12 questions
* There will be an onscreen calculator for this new section (but not for the rest of the exam!)

For more check: the-next-generation-gmat-gmat-integrated-reasoning-130224.html

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 14

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 22:18
This post received
KUDOS
carcass wrote:

thanks

charlemagne, carcass and other friends,

Apologies for replying late.

Ok, I got to see a question on 'regression' here: http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/nex-gen/sam ... 1?next=yes

But don't worry. The questions are very simple. I felt many test takers might be confused to see the term and might find the question beyond their reach.

The questions speaks of a 'regression line', which by definition is termed as regression of y on x - the equation representing the relation between selected values of one variable (x) and observed values of the other (y); it permits the prediction of the most probable values of y

In the question, there is a scatter plot. We have values of y for values of x. The regression line tries to determine a pattern here, so that I can predict a value of y for a given value of x. That's it.

The question only asks how water and air temperature are correlated. The upward sloping line suggests that they are positively correlated.

Do ask again if you feel it's not clear. I'd be glad to help.

Regards,

Shouvik.

Shouvik
admin@edvento.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 40

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 18:34
Edvento wrote:
carcass wrote:

thanks

Ok, I got to see a question on 'regression' here: http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/nex-gen/sam ... 1?next=yes

But don't worry. The questions are very simple. I felt many test takers might be confused to see the term and might find the question beyond their reach.

The questions speaks of a 'regression line', which by definition is termed as regression of y on x - the equation representing the relation between selected values of one variable (x) and observed values of the other (y); it permits the prediction of the most probable values of y

In the question, there is a scatter plot. We have values of y for values of x. The regression line tries to determine a pattern here, so that I can predict a value of y for a given value of x. That's it.

The question only asks how water and air temperature are correlated. The upward sloping line suggests that they are positively correlated.

Regards,

Shouvik.

Thanks edvento..that really did help..

So were you able to uncover any more kind of questions for IR?

And is there a set of say 4-5 question types that cover all the possibilities?

Manager
Manager

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 06 May 2012, 22:44
charlemagne wrote:
Edvento wrote:
carcass wrote:

thanks

Regards,

Shouvik.

Thanks edvento..that really did help..

So were you able to uncover any more kind of questions for IR?

And is there a set of say 4-5 question types that cover all the possibilities?

Hi charlemagne and friends,

The mba.com site gives us an outline of the question types.

The Graphics Interpretation, Two-part Analysis and Table Analysis are just extensions of the regular data interpretation that we already have in the quant section. The only difference is that instead of focussing on more calculations, these questions will ask you to infer if certain facts are true or false. The calculation bit is minimal.

The Multi-Source Reasoning is something I give kudos to the GMAC for. They are excellent questions. I personally love them. This part is actually gives such a nice idea what managers do and what it is like to take decisions.

Let me research a little bit more on these question types. I'll also try to post more practice problems and related sources. The GMAT has just become more interesting. So much better than a computer judging your essay writing skills. No pun intended here.

Regards,

Shouvik.

Shouvik
admin@edvento.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 01:12
This post received
KUDOS
Friends,

I have studied all the 50 IR questions released by the GMAC and have come up with a preliminary analysis as promised to you all. Check out my blog post for this.
http://www.edvento.com/blog/6-tips-to-a ... n-the-gmat

I'll dig deeper into the individual question types and post whenever I find something interesting.

Regards,

Shouvik.

Shouvik
admin@edvento.com

Expert Post

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 01:49
Expert's post
Manager
Manager

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 05:27
carcass wrote:
The url above doesn't work

Hi carcass,

The site was down for sometime. Please check it again.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Shouvik.

Shouvik
admin@edvento.com

Expert Post

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 08:48
Expert's post
Manager
Manager

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 23:40
carcass wrote:
Amazing your article man :)

Thanks

Thank you.

It means a lot to me.

I hope it will be helpful for the test takers.

Regards,

Shouvik.

Shouvik
admin@edvento.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 121

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 07:28
Which essay will be kicked out an argument or an issue essay?

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
Stiv wrote:
Which essay will be kicked out an argument or an issue essay?

The issue essay will be kicked out.

Regards,

Shouvik.

Shouvik
admin@edvento.com

Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section   [#permalink] 18 May 2012, 08:44