Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Beginners for GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Beginners for GMAT [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 16:45
Hi all, really appreciate the help. My situation is im a 2.2 GPA holder trying to get into a MBA school in Toronto. Had to work fulltime/part-time during my studies and just hated my program. Never expected to wrte any post grad exams. Literally just wanted to graduate. Did a finance and accounting degree, which i hated. Can anyone let me know if i am insane for applying? Deadline for schools is may 1st, yet these schools all say pls apply asap, early as poosible, is it because its for the scholarships? Anyways. just wanted to know if 2 mths study time is enough, and am i nuts, trying to do this with my qulaifications. I do have decent work experience though. Thanks all!

I hv a couple of books already, the official Gmat 11th ed and princeton review already. Many thanks all!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Beginners for GMAT [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 19:23
Rookie123 wrote:
Hi all, really appreciate the help. My situation is im a 2.2 GPA holder trying to get into a MBA school in Toronto. Had to work fulltime/part-time during my studies and just hated my program. Never expected to wrte any post grad exams. Literally just wanted to graduate. Did a finance and accounting degree, which i hated. Can anyone let me know if i am insane for applying? Deadline for schools is may 1st, yet these schools all say pls apply asap, early as poosible, is it because its for the scholarships? Anyways. just wanted to know if 2 mths study time is enough, and am i nuts, trying to do this with my qulaifications. I do have decent work experience though. Thanks all!

I hv a couple of books already, the official Gmat 11th ed and princeton review already. Many thanks all!

Let's think from a different perspective. What do you really want to do? You said you hated finance and accounting. Are you planning to go toward a different area?

If you are sure you really want to do this, you really want to go to a MBA program, then there will be no other choice for you but to take the GMAT, no matter what your GPA is.

As for how much time is sufficient, it differs for everybody. You need to first know what your target score is (how much do you need to get into the school), and then you need to know where you stands (do a simulated test to see what score you can get). From there you'll know what kind of a challenge you are facing. If this is for something you really want to do, then I'm sure you would feel all these investment of your time is worth while.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Intern
Intern

Hi HongHu [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 09:35
HI Honghu, thanks for your reply. I would need a 700 on this GMAT test to feel comfortable to get into a school. I want to do law eventually as that is my passion, but seems similar doors close witha low GPA. Hence im using work experience in finance as leaverage to apply to MBA programs. I know what you mean as in do what you have passion for. but right now, seems MBA is my only option. Im currently an account manager for Bloomberg, doing seminars and trainings and feel this is not what i want to do, $$ is important but not at this stage of my life. GMAT to mee will open some doors for me... I hope. Thanks again. from LOST in Singapore.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Hi HongHu [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 12:30
Rookie123 wrote:
Did a finance and accounting degree, which i hated. Can anyone let me know if i am insane for applying?

#1 The later you apply, the less likely you will gain admission.
#2 Finance and accounting are core classes for bschool. Doesn't that say something about business? If you hate those classes, you will not like business school.
#3 Yes you are insane for applying. It's tantamount to saying I hate dealing with people but I want to be a salesman. Furthermore, a 2.2 gpa is at the very low end for bschools.

question: How well do you do on standardized tests?

Rookie123 wrote:
I want to do law eventually as that is my passion, but seems similar doors close witha low GPA. Hence im using work experience in finance as leaverage to apply to MBA programs. I know what you mean as in do what you have passion for. but right now, seems MBA is my only option. Im currently an account manager for Bloomberg, doing seminars and trainings and feel this is not what i want to do, $$ is important but not at this stage of my life. GMAT to mee will open some doors for me... I hope..

#4 GMAT does not open any doors..

#5 It is unheard of to get an MBA to go to law school.

It really seems to me like you don't know what you want to do with your career. How involved have you been with law that you know you have a passion for it? I have a lot of friends with law degrees and 100k+ debt who are not lawyers.

Going to grad school because you hate working and don't know what to do is the worst reason and it will show in your essays. My advice would be to do a bit of soul searching before you make your next move.

Sorry for the bad news, it is probably not what you want to hear. But, do not make the mistake of going to grad school thinking it will somehow fill a void.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2007, 19:45
If you hated finance and accounting as a major in college, you should NOT pursue an MBA. It's heavy on quant.

If you want to study law, then pursue that. Not an MBA. You're totally aiming in the wrong direction.
  [#permalink] 14 Feb 2007, 19:45