Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 13:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Beginning application process for Fall'06 entry- Which schoo

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Beginning application process for Fall'06 entry- Which schoo [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2005, 20:15
Ok, I posted some time ago regarding Phd possibilities, my profile etc. The usual questions. I have basically pasted the post below for background info. At this point I have decided on a PhD in International Finance, though I am still considering Strategic Management if the international finance element can be incorprated into the field. Here is my list of schools that I would like to apply to at the moment:

1. Insead
2. London Business School
3. Duke
4. UCLA
5. UCI
6. Boston College
7. Rochester

Basically are these appropriate schools for an international finance emphasis? Also I would like a more pragmatic approach to research that takles current issues more so than theoretical comprehension. Of coarse, theoretical knowledge is very important, and I would like to explore both methods. Finally, I am looking for a collaborative, caring faculty that embraces their students.

Here is my profile:

I will be finishing up my last year as an undergraduate and would like to begin a phd program for the 2006 academic year. I should note the year delay is due to my plans of studying abroad in Paris for the 2005-2006 academic year. I have already studied in France; however, would like to continue my studies in French culture and language. During this time I will also be teaching English to French students.
My background:
Us Citizen
24 years of age
I currently attend Cal State Fullerton, an AACSB university, where I am majoring in Business Administration with an emphasis inf Finance. My overall GPA is 3.59, with a business GPA of 3.89 and I will be graduating with the Cum Laude notation. I am a member of the following societies/programs:
Business Honors Program
International Golden Key Society
Beta Gamma Sigma Honors Society
Society for the Advancement of Management- current Treasurer
Other:
Multiple Deans List notations

In addition, I was a member of the Track and Cross Country teams for 4 years and was awarded as the Big West scholar athlete of the year for my sport.

I have limited work experience; though, I had an internship with Boeing as a financial analyst. In addition, I have worked on campus as an event managment assistant with increasing responsibilities. I have yet to take the GMAT though I plan to score between 690-710 based on preliminary sample tests.

Last edited by EvanG on 20 Mar 2005, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2005, 12:01
Hi EvanG,

Welcome back. The first step is to decide so congrats! The hurdle begins and Fall 2006 is the right target.

The Univs you have mentioned are all good - except Bosaton College, about which I must admit I do not have any info. In all other univs I personally know one or two current or former grads so I have a good idea of their standards and placements.

Rochester is one of the best in Finance, and competition is very tough there.

International Finance is a hot topic, Chicago is also a hot place for the same.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2005, 19:58
Thank you for the reply Sameer, I appreciate your input.

I considered Chicago, however I am trying to be realistic and only apply to a few ultra-elite schools. Also I am trying to limit the amount of schools I apply to so that I can individualize my app to each university. Would you recommend substituting Chicago in lieu of one of the existing universities on my list?

Another question, would it be beneficial to go for a Masters in Finance before attempting the PhD? I was looking around on Yale's sight and it mentioned that ideal PhD candidates have atleast one year of Graduate experience. Please note I am not talking about an MBA but rather an actual research oriented Masters of Financial engineering or something to that effect.
  [#permalink] 20 Mar 2005, 19:58