Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 23:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (02:18) correct 64% (01:31) wrong based on 276 sessions
Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the end of a second stint with General Motors, which he helped successfully guide out of bankruptcy in 2009, Bob Lutz saw his career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries span nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and responsibility for countless industry innovations.

A)Bob Lutz saw his career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries span nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and responsibility for countless industry innovations

B)the career of Bob Lutz, one of the automotive industry's true visionaries, has spanned nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and countless industry innovations

C)Bob Lutz's career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries has spanned four separate automakers, two continents, and responsibility for countless industry innovations over nearly fifty years

D)the career of Bob Lutz, one of the automotive industry's true visionaries, spanned two continents over nearly fifty years, during which time Lutz was responsible for countless industry innovations at four separate automakers.

E)Bob Lutz has seen his career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries span nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and countless industry innovations that he was responsible for

please find Explanation below...
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

giving kudos is the best thing you can do for me..

Last edited by anish123ster on 27 Apr 2013, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V22
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.39
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 12

Re: Beginning in 1963 with General... [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 23:23
The Opening sentence describes the career , so going with option B .
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 156 [1] , given: 136

Re: Beginning in 1963 with General... [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 23:35
This post received
KUDOS
anish123ster wrote:
Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the end of a second stint with General Motors, which he helped successfully guide out of bankruptcy in 2009, Bob Lutz saw his career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries span nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and responsibility for countless industry innovations.

A)Bob Lutz saw his career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries span nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and responsibility for countless industry innovations

B)the career of Bob Lutz, one of the automotive industry's true visionaries, has spanned nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and countless industry innovations

C)Bob Lutz's career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries has spanned four separate automakers, two continents, and responsibility for countless industry innovations over nearly fifty years

D)the career of Bob Lutz, one of the automotive industry's true visionaries, spanned two continents over nearly fifty years, during which time Lutz was responsible for countless industry innovations at four separate automakers.

E)Bob Lutz has seen his career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries span nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and countless industry innovations that he was responsible for

Here's my 2 cents:

Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the end of a second stint with General Motors --> Noun Modifier -> Ask what begain in 1963? It must be Career, not Bob Lutz himself. Hence, A and E Out.

C is out . Because, Bob Lutz career is not Automotive Industry's true Visionary. It is Bob who is true visionary. Hence, C is Illogical.

D is out. Because, It says that his career spanned two continents.. ?? Spanned means extension of something.. how career spanned two continents.. it can be spanned for a period of time, a logic that B says effectively.

Hence, B

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 273 [1] , given: 67

Re: Beginning in 1963 with General... [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2013, 12:45
This post received
KUDOS
I would like to go with D....Lets wait fr the OA and than i ll post my explanation...But one thing to note i think a time frame is mentioned ie fifty years....so we must not use perfect tense with it. The only reason why i eliminated B....

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!

Archit
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [4] , given: 9

Re: Beginning in 1963 with General... [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2013, 19:19
This post received
KUDOS
This question is another example of “The Whole Sentence Matters”, and involves a little bit of “Hiding the Right Answer”, as well.

The beginning of the sentence, far from the underlined portion, not only sets up the modifier (it must describe Lutz’s career, not the man himself, so choices A and E are out),
but also the beginning of a timeline (“beginning in 1963”). And shortly after that, but within a modifying clause that many would gloss over, we’re presented with the end of that timeline (2009).

This then means that the ongoing form of “has spanned” in answer choices B and C.

Choice D is the only one remaining, using the correct noun for the modifier (the career of Bob Lutz) and the correct verb tense (spanned).

hope that helps...

PLEASE DO CONSIDER kUDOS... :)

giving kudos is the best thing you can do for me..

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 189 [1] , given: 293

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
anish123ster wrote:

When they say, which 'he' helped, the career.... I mean who is he? It is obviously not the career is must be referring to Lutz. Don't we need Lutz to be openning the second part of the sentence after the modifier?

Would be very happy is someone could clarify

Cheers
J
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 06:16
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

When they say, which 'he' helped, the career.... I mean who is he? It is obviously not the career is must be referring to Lutz. Don't we need Lutz to be openning the second part of the sentence after the modifier?

Would be very happy is someone could clarify

The exact point where I went wrong
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 18

Re: Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 14:35
anish123ster wrote:

Lets 1st cut through the fluff and get to the real crux of the sentence, which is

Beginning in 1963 ..., Bob Lutz saw his career as one of the automotive industry's true visionaries span nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and responsibility for countless industry innovations.

Now the problem with this sentence is that the modifier Beginning in 1963 is modifying Bob Lutz, which is incorrect. It must modify Bob Lutz's career instead. So options (A) and (E) go away.

Now cutting through the fluff of the remaining options gets us

B)the career of Bob Lutz, ..., has spanned nearly fifty years, two continents, four separate automakers, and countless industry innovations
This option uses Present Perfect tense has spanned to describe a career that happened in the Past. A simple Past tense spanned is required here. Present Perfect tense suggest his career is ongoing

C)Bob Lutz's career ...has spanned four separate automakers, two continents, and responsibility for countless industry innovations over nearly fifty years
- Same problem as option B, Simple Past tense required

This is grammatically perfect one of the automotive industry's true visionaries describes Bob Lutz, spanned two continents over nearly fifty years describes his career, during which time Lutz was responsible for countless industry innovations at four separate automakers describes fifty years career.

So the correct answer is D

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Last edited by prasun9 on 12 Feb 2014, 15:56, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 29

Re: Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 15:36
Experts,

I am still not clear why B is wrong? Can any one please clear difference between B and D..

Thanks

"Where are my Kudos" ............ Good Question = kudos

"Start enjoying all phases" & all Sections

percentages-700-800-level-questions-130588.html

700-to-800-level-quant-question-with-detail-soluition-143321.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 18

Re: Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 15:59
This post received
KUDOS
Mountain14 wrote:
Experts,

I am still not clear why B is wrong? Can any one please clear difference between B and D..

Thanks

Thanks for the question, it made me realize the real problem is with the tense. Bob Lutz's career is over so a Simple Past tense spanned is required here. Both options B and C use Present Perfect tense has spanned which suggests that his career is still ongoing or that his tenure is unknown, which is not the case here. The sentence spells out the tenure and mentions that it is finished, so a Simple Past tense is required.

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 29

Re: Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2014, 01:09
prasun9 wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:
Experts,

Thanks

Thanks for the question, it made me realize the real problem is with the tense. Bob Lutz's career is over so a Simple Past tense spanned is required here. Both options B and C use Present Perfect tense has spanned which suggests that his career is still ongoing or that his tenure is unknown, which is not the case here. The sentence spells out the tenure and mentions that it is finished, so a Simple Past tense is required.

Oh Yeah... I remember now.. I read this in one of my note..

Thanks for reminding ....

"Where are my Kudos" ............ Good Question = kudos

"Start enjoying all phases" & all Sections

percentages-700-800-level-questions-130588.html

700-to-800-level-quant-question-with-detail-soluition-143321.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB '15

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 54

Re: Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2014, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,
Between B and C.
I accept the issue of tense and "spanned" should be used. However in option D - "spanned two continents over nearly fifty years" did not make sense to me, i thought it was very wordy and confusing.
Hence went with B. :(

Veritas Prep - 650
MGMAT 1 590
MGMAT 2 640 (V48/Q31)

Please help the community by giving Kudos.

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB '15

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 54

Re: Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 21:00
anish123ster wrote:

IMO D.

Option A and E, go out because we need to modify his career.
Among B,C and D we can detect parallelism error.
B and C makes his career parallel with spanned
1) nearly fifty years,
2) two continents,
3) four separate automakers,
4) and countless industry innovations
this is incorrect, this shows as if his career spanned across industry innovations, and not his innovations.

for the same reason C goes out.

D is clear.

Veritas Prep - 650
MGMAT 1 590
MGMAT 2 640 (V48/Q31)

Please help the community by giving Kudos.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 26

Re: Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2014, 13:32
anish123ster wrote:

The "during which time" in option D sounds too odd to be correct and hence I chose B. It was very frustrating to discover that the correct answer was indeed D :o
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 19

CAT Tests
Re: Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2014, 20:14
anish123ster wrote:

IMO - D !!!

A) Modifier Issue
B) Structure Issue : As career itself has not spanned ... therefore wrong, Also Verb Tense Error ( Its a info statement, hence simple past must be use, instead of present perfect)
C) Wrong Modifier
D) Correct : Structure wise OK, Meaning make sense
E) Wrong Modifier

Regards
LS

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Re: Beginning in 1963 with General Motors and lasting until the   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2014, 20:14