Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Beginning my journey

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Beginning my journey [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 18:26
Evening all! New member here. I'm starting my own GMAT journey. Hoping to make it into the 700 club. Logging on and seeing the high scores gets me pumped up. I know it won't be easy. I just passed CFA level one this spring and I studied my rear end off for that one so I'm not afraid of putting in the time it takes, though. I'm sure the topic of study materials has been run into the ground numerous times but I just have a few questions to confirm what I have found while lurking around the forums. From what I've seen, these are the materials to have:

OG 11
MGMAT SC book
Gmatclub quant tests
Gmat prep
1000 question sheets

*Is Princeton Review any good?
*Does MGMAT have any full review guides or only the topic specific guides?
*Are the other MGMAT and OG review books worth purchasing?
*I read that online exams come with the MGMAT books. Is this correct? Are these full exams covering all topics or just the topic of the book purchased?
*Are there any other must have sources?

I did purchase the '08 Kaplan guide last year and have studied some out of that to get started on the basics and get a feel for the format.
I was going to take an initial CAT test to get a feel for where I am at. What would you suggest as a good initial test to take?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Beginning my journey [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 18:58
This post received
KUDOS
Welcome to GMATclub,
Yes official guides are must. Apart from OG-11, you can buy OG verbal and quant review and OG-10. You can get the OG-10 from amazon for less than 10 dollars. MGMAT series contains 8 books which give detailed and exhaustive basics on math and verbal. And if you buy those you will get six CAT tests free online. Once you go through all those quant basics from MGMAT series thoroughly you are good for GMATclub challenge tests. Yes you can give a GMATprep test-1 to know where you stand presently. The test is offered freely from MBA.com website for free (all you need is to register). There are two tests only so I would suggest you to use judiciously. Keep one test for the last phase of your preparation. Once you reach 44+ in quant then you can go for GMATclub challenge which will help you to increase your score by 6-7 points. I would stay away from 1000 series from the beginning because it does not have proper explanation. Yes for critical reasoning, I would suggest if you have enough time you can use Powerscore CR bible. If you are going to take Kaplan test then do not rely on the score. The score algorithm is not at all reflective your true condition. For practice purpose it is fine.
Hope this helps.
Good luck with your study

-----------------------------------------

Evening all! New member here. I'm starting my own GMAT journey. Hoping to make it into the 700 club. Logging on and seeing the high scores gets me pumped up. I know it won't be easy. I just passed CFA level one this spring and I studied my rear end off for that one so I'm not afraid of putting in the time it takes, though. I'm sure the topic of study materials has been run into the ground numerous times but I just have a few questions to confirm what I have found while lurking around the forums. From what I've seen, these are the materials to have:

OG 11
MGMAT SC book
Gmatclub quant tests
Gmat prep
1000 question sheets

*Is Princeton Review any good?
*Does MGMAT have any full review guides or only the topic specific guides?
*Are the other MGMAT and OG review books worth purchasing?
*I read that online exams come with the MGMAT books. Is this correct? Are these full exams covering all topics or just the topic of the book purchased?
*Are there any other must have sources?

I did purchase the '08 Kaplan guide last year and have studied some out of that to get started on the basics and get a feel for the format.
I was going to take an initial CAT test to get a feel for where I am at. What would you suggest as a good initial test to take?

Thanks!

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Schools: Harvard, Penn, Maryland
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Beginning my journey [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 08:58
This post received
KUDOS
hellot
I too am a recently registered member here, and I am liking what I've seen so far. I recently took the GMAT for the first time a month ago and got a 700 (45Q 41V), being 20 yrs old and a junior in undergrad. what I've found to be most useful is the actual GMATprep software that you get once you register for the test (and pay your $250), because it is designed to be an exact replica of the actual test you will take. I read, and would recommend, the Kaplan Premier 2008 w/CD practice tests, because it sort of overviews the types of questions and what you need to answer them. It can also let you take specialized practice tests for each type of question. my personal philosophy is that practice makes perfect, so I would try to, once you understand the question types, simply take a whole lot of practice tests starting like a month before you take the test, like twice a week. My score goes up a little every time I take a practice test, and of course, if you see an obvious problem in your overview, address it with specialized studying. I work full time and go to school full time, and believe me, 7 hrs a week is not that overwhelming. Eventually, sitting down for 3 1/2 hours answering DS, PS, CR, SC, and RC questions and writing essays becomes like second nature. I believe this is the best way to prepare for the GMAT.

Hope I was of help
Re: Beginning my journey   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2008, 08:58